Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article - Must Read If You Have Strength Questions page 14

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I want bigger forearms.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    This guy's strong: 55 pullups - YouTube

Guess how he got that way.

Any comments, Mr. Gorbag?
    What's that - a compound full body pull-ups? That's not a typical crossfit guy btw, it's Konstantinov the powerlifter, and your point is then that some of the powerlifters also train endurance?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    What's that - a compound full body pull-ups? That's not a typical crossfit guy btw, it's Konstantinov the powerlifter, and your point is then that some of the powerlifters also train endurance?
    Yes, my point is to make you look at how his endurance training has paid off. He looks like a typical spindly-limbed marathon runner since he's clearly spending so much time training all that endurance work. [/sarcasm]

My point is that the dude is friggin' strong. He got that way under a barbell. And look how he can apply his GENERAL strength to the SPECIFIC task of lifting himself through space 55 consecutive times. Can your leg-pressing cyclists do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    I want bigger forearms.
    Hmm, what I am going to tell you now will not be approved by RIP, because he will not be very happy that you wastes your precious time with assistant movements since you would get more than enough forearm training from gripping the bar and just doing the f***king deadlift! But anyway, here comes the Gorbag method to getting bigger forearms; go to the bench and load up the bar and put it down on the bench. Sit down on the bench and put a towel over your knees for more stability and do barbell full rom wrist curls with the wrists resting on your knees. Build up to an all-out top set for around 12 - 15 reps, close to failure, put down the bar on the bench and take 5 deep breaths and continue with 5 – 6 more reps, then a short rest and do another 2-3 reps, then throw off some weight and do as many as you can and more weight off the bar and all out again. Finish! Do this twice a week using progressive overload principles and you will get forearms like Popeye! Personally I am using 220 pound on my all out top-set for around 15 reps…

My point is that the dude is friggin' strong. He got that way under a barbell. And look how he can apply his GENERAL strength to the SPECIFIC task of lifting himself through space 55 consecutive times. Can your leg-pressing cyclists do that?
    It only shows that he have trained kipping pullups besides the barbell training and good for him! So you seriously think that barbell lifting makes you a good endurance pullup kipper, LOL...

It only shows that he have trained kipping pullups besides the barbell training and good for him! So you seriously think that barbell lifting makes you a good endurance pullup kipper, LOL...
    I think it's MUCH easier for someone who squats 700 lbs to train to be an endurance pullup kipper than for an endurance pullup kipper to train to squat 700 lbs. That is, specifically, to say that strength is a general adaptation.

I think it's MUCH easier for someone who squats 700 lbs to train to be an endurance pullup kipper than for an endurance pullup kipper to train to squat 700 lbs. That is, specifically, to say that strength is a general adaptation.
    What you call "general adaption" is the physiological changes which I haven't denied at all, and those changes can be measured by samples from musclefibres. Barbell compound lifting is a good way to make you stronger, i.e. grow relevant musclefibers, but it's not the only way, that's the point you and your brother in arms, quikky, obviously are too stubborn to fully understand...

What you call "general adaption" is the physiological changes which I haven't denied at all, and those changes can be measured by samples from musclefibres. Barbell compound lifting is a good way to make you stronger, i.e. grow relevant musclefibers, but it's not the only way, that's the point you and your brother in arms, quikky, obviously are too stubborn to fully understand...
    I'm too stubborn to fully understand the exact premise I've been defending all along.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    There are many ways to simply get stronger. However, there is only one way to become as strong you can be. If you want some strength, tons of methods exist. If you want the most strength you can extract from your genes in the most efficient way possible, there is only one way that we know of, and it had worked exactly as advertised for millions.

That said, I'm confused, Gorbag, you have taught me that strength is always specific and there's not much carryover without specific training. Are you now saying strength is not specific, has very high carryover, and is thus a general adaptation? Because that might mean I'm not stronger than Ed Coan after all, which really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    that might mean I'm not stronger than Ed Coan after all, which really sucks.
    I still think you're stronger than Misha Koklyaev, if that's any consolation.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast