Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rippetoe's New Article - Must Read If You Have Strength Questions page 13

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Well, he probably have very good genetic's and build for powerlifting, optimal leverage and all that. From the photos he appears to have very decent myofibrillar hyperthrophy, so it's pretty much a no-brainer that he also have a good carryover to other strength movement compared to the sedentary average joe or a recreational lifter as you probably are...
    Strength is specific though, right? Good genetics for barbell mean good genetics for barbell. Just like strength in barbells is just that, with barely any carryover. If I trained for Strongman for a while, while Ed Coan, who is not trained (at least as far as I know) in Strongman, did not, then I would easily beat him. Same with all other tasks. Pull a boat out of water by rope? If I trained for a while, I'd out-pull Ed Coan easily. Carry a human body out of a burning building? I just gotta train it, Coan won't even know how to grab the poor chap because humans are not shaped like barbells. Unscrewing a tight lug nut on my car? If I change more flat tires than Coan, I'd apply way more force to that wrench than he ever could.

And what does muscle size have to do with it? So his quads, adductors, glutes, and hamstrings are huge, so what? They're squat and deadlift huge. Yeah, maybe like 20% of his quad can be used for the leg press or something, but that muscle is barbell muscle. I don't see how he could really use all those muscle fibers to do other things.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Careful Gorbag, I don't think you want to piss off Ed, I mean "quikky" ;-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    I only read the first half a dozen pages or so. So I have no idea how this conversation went but I'm going to add my 2 cents.

DO WHATEVER THE FU@* YOU WANNA DO!

If that means bodyweight workouts, barbells, body building or shovel glove (mark did a post on this) then go for your life.
    If it means your working out, and having a good time, and you don't look like a fatty, and your healthy then FU!@ IT.

But because I love to fight I'm going to throw my two cents in. Shovel glove, the exercise which involves mimicking "real life" movement with a sledge hammer. (Shovelling, driving fence posts, chopping wood, etc) I do this with a 12lb hammer and it is hard. Although you notice some muscle gains, especially little random ones you don't get huge. But when you can do 50 reps of every exercise with 20lb hammer you are strong as sh!t.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Of course someone who can deadlift 500 pounds is strong. But so is someone who can do a one-arm chin up. If we did have a general definition of strength, both of these people would have that property, so I don't see the point of the last six pages.

The gist of the article is 'if you want to get strong, then train, don't just exercise'. And one can most definitely train with bodyweight exercises. The routine in the r/bodyweightfitness FAQ is basically a 3X5 setup, with clearly outlined progressions. But for legs: they say squat and deadlift (in addition to pistol and other progressions). So the whole "what bodyweight progression do I do to get a huge deadlift" point is a non-starter. Everyone admits that there are limits to loading the legs without a barbell.

As for functional strength, I would much rather be able to move my body through space rather than a bar (or "stuff" generally). Maybe the latter is actually more useful today. But I want to be able to pull myself up into a tree if I need to. And I want to look like I can.

ChicagoPaleo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    None of this refutes the argument that the optimal way to get as strong as possible as efficiently as possible is to progressively overload full-ROM, compound movements, like the squat, deadlift, and press. And the best tool yet invented to progressively overload full-ROM compound movements like the squat, deadlift, and press is the barbell.
    In the end, this is the gist of the article. Ripp takes care to mention that "Considering our previous analysis, you'll need to choose movements that have the capacity to produce the desired adaptation over the long timeframe that profound, transformative adaptation requires. If you're a runner, you'll run; a swimmer, you'll swim.

After your initial novice phase, where the gains come quickly, you'll vary your workloads by manipulating volume and intensity over longer periods of time. If you're a smart runner or swimmer, you'll add some strength training to the program to help with force production, but running and swimming will still be the primary tools you rely on to improve at running and swimming." --- In other words, you still need to focus on the objectives that define success within your chosen area, but that adding strength can help you there.

It's here that his program really excels above most of what else is out there. Nobody argues that there are many ways to build strength - the problem is that most of them are incredibly inefficient, leading people to spend many wasted hours in the gym and end up frustrated before reaching their strength goals. Al Kavadlo is a very strong individual and it is a full body strength, but how many people have the time to train as he does? and how many have the patience to develop to do the adjustments he does to do strength training (i.e., 1 arm pushups and pistol squats) and avoid just doing more endurance training with his exercises.

Simplify - use his method of progressively overloading full body barbell lifts and gain strength quickly, leaving a whole lot more time to add in all the sport specific and fitness specific activities that you need for your sport. I personally like Lon Kilgore's "FIT" as a manual for how to create a program to reach broad athletic goals. He's a former collaborator of Ripp's and favors something like Starting Strength, but also gives you solid thinking around building up mobility and endurance in the context of an overall program.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Strength is specific though, right? Good genetics for barbell mean good genetics for barbell. Just like strength in barbells is just that, with barely any carryover. If I trained for Strongman for a while, while Ed Coan, who is not trained (at least as far as I know) in Strongman, did not, then I would easily beat him. Same with all other tasks. Pull a boat out of water by rope? If I trained for a while, I'd out-pull Ed Coan easily. Carry a human body out of a burning building? I just gotta train it, Coan won't even know how to grab the poor chap because humans are not shaped like barbells. Unscrewing a tight lug nut on my car? If I change more flat tires than Coan, I'd apply way more force to that wrench than he ever could.

And what does muscle size have to do with it? So his quads, adductors, glutes, and hamstrings are huge, so what? They're squat and deadlift huge. Yeah, maybe like 20% of his quad can be used for the leg press or something, but that muscle is barbell muscle. I don't see how he could really use all those muscle fibers to do other things.
    This guy's strong: 55 pullups - YouTube

Guess how he got that way.

Any comments, Mr. Gorbag?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    This guy's strong: 55 pullups - YouTube

Guess how he got that way.

Any comments, Mr. Gorbag?
    Pfft.... pussy kipping pullups

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Pfft.... pussy kipping pullups
    I know, I know. I'll try to find a video of him doing a unilateral leg press.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I know, I know. I'll try to find a video of him doing a unilateral leg press.
    lol.... yeah, dont take my comment to indicate I'm trying to continue in this debate. I just enjoy dissing kipping pull ups.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-18-2013 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    lol.... yeah, dont take my comment to indicate I'm trying to continue in this debate. I just enjoy dissing kipping pull ups.
    Dissing kipping pullups is a noble and worthy cause. Almost as noble as dissing ring dips for novices and high-rep snatches for fatigued athletes. Of course, nothing as funny as the term "L. Ron Glassman" which of course can only be attributed to Rip

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast