Thread: What do your primal chickens eat? page

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member

What do your primal chickens eat?

Do you raise chickens? Meat birds? Layers?

I just found out an acquaintance raises meat birds and he asked if I wanted some when they're ready in 8 weeks.

I asked what he feeds them and if their feed contained soy. His answer was:

I am not sure. It is an all vegetable feed, no antibiotics. What is the issue with soy?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    We buy 'poultry laying pellets' (and oyster grit), but also give them food scraps from our table as well. Plus, they get out to forage for insects etc regularly.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Almost all commercial feeds in the US use soy as the protein portion of the feed, including organic feeds. Unless the feed says it uses animal protein (very few do) then it contains soy. There may be some exceptions to that rule, but they are just that- the exception. I have @ 80 layers that are on pasture year round, and I also raise meat birds in the spring/summer. My birds get regular commercial feed, and the yolks in their eggs are a gorgeous golden color, and they are delicious.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    I fed my meat birds non GMO corn/oat mixture and damn was it expensive. I am going to change the kind of meat bird I raise this year and let them free range with the hens. I plan on feeding them sun flower seeds and my own cow milk. Might take longer to feed them out, but it will be better meat.

My layers get access to grit and oyster shells, but now that it's spring they are free range/kitchen scraps only. They are not liking the transition though
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Pillow is offline Member
    Good topic! We just purchased 6 chicks to be layers.

We planned on using kitchen scrap as the majority of the food. We juice every morning and can feed them the fiber scrap, there is a lot! Plus free range yard foraging of course.
    Last edited by Pillow; 04-16-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    Full on Primal family and loving it!!!
    This is going to be a big year for vitamins and minerals!

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We are hoping to get 3 or 4 chickens this spring. Lot of work to conform to our city ordnance. Plan on feeding them scraps, yard plants and bugs and purchased grains.

Quote Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
    Good topic! We just purchased 6 chicks to be layers.

We planned on using kitchen scrap as the majority of the food. We juice every morning and can feed them the fiber scrap, there is a lot! Plus free range yard foraging of course.
    An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
    -Somebody funny