Thread: Opinions on my fat sources?

Hybrid View

Opinions on my fat sources?

For cost reasons, I tend to buy the majority of my meat from conventional sources, and just keep it lean to mitigate toxins -- so essentially I eat a lot of really lean ground meat and then add in healthy fats.

Usually, those fats include avocado, olives, olive oil... but most of the time it's butter, just because I love the taste. Lately, though, I've really started to enjoy a few tablespoons of macadamia butter as an after-dinner snack. Since macadamias have quite an impressive range of nutrients, would I do well to slightly reduce my butter intake, and replace it with macadamia? I know butter is considered perfectly primal, but at my current level of 3 tbsp a day, I can't help feeling I should at least be getting a little nutrition boost along with my fats...

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    For cost reasons, I tend to buy the majority of my meat from conventional sources, and just keep it lean to mitigate toxins -- so essentially I eat a lot of really lean ground meat and then add in healthy fats.

Usually, those fats include avocado, olives, olive oil... but most of the time it's butter, just because I love the taste. Lately, though, I've really started to enjoy a few tablespoons of macadamia butter as an after-dinner snack. Since macadamias have quite an impressive range of nutrients, would I do well to slightly reduce my butter intake, and replace it with macadamia? I know butter is considered perfectly primal, but at my current level of 3 tbsp a day, I can't help feeling I should at least be getting a little nutrition boost along with my fats...
    I think you'd be well-served to keep your satty fats (butter) higher and your mono-unsatties (macadamia/olive oil) more moderate. PUFA's are pretty clearly the worst (both sides of the CICO debate agree). Are you using good (grass-fed like Kerrygold or the like) butter at least?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I think you'd be well-served to keep your satty fats (butter) higher and your mono-unsatties (macadamia/olive oil) more moderate. PUFA's are pretty clearly the worst (both sides of the CICO debate agree). Are you using good (grass-fed like Kerrygold or the like) butter at least?
    Yes, I use Kerrygold or Purity Farms ghee.

For some reason I thought monosaturated and saturated fats were both pretty safe bets... did I assume wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Yes, I use Kerrygold or Purity Farms ghee.

For some reason I thought monosaturated and saturated fats were both pretty safe bets... did I assume wrong?
    SFA>MUFA>PUFA in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    SFA>MUFA>PUFA in my book.
    Yup.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Yup, stick to coconut and animal fats. They're really not that spendy. Especially if you render your own.

When in doubt, go halfsies! I would consider the short-chain fats and K2 in butter more interesting than the macadamias (though I adore both). I might feel differently if I could afford macadamia butter.