Thread: Opinions on my fat sources? page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

Opinions on my fat sources?

Shop Now
    For cost reasons, I tend to buy the majority of my meat from conventional sources, and just keep it lean to mitigate toxins -- so essentially I eat a lot of really lean ground meat and then add in healthy fats.

Usually, those fats include avocado, olives, olive oil... but most of the time it's butter, just because I love the taste. Lately, though, I've really started to enjoy a few tablespoons of macadamia butter as an after-dinner snack. Since macadamias have quite an impressive range of nutrients, would I do well to slightly reduce my butter intake, and replace it with macadamia? I know butter is considered perfectly primal, but at my current level of 3 tbsp a day, I can't help feeling I should at least be getting a little nutrition boost along with my fats...

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    For cost reasons, I tend to buy the majority of my meat from conventional sources, and just keep it lean to mitigate toxins -- so essentially I eat a lot of really lean ground meat and then add in healthy fats.

Usually, those fats include avocado, olives, olive oil... but most of the time it's butter, just because I love the taste. Lately, though, I've really started to enjoy a few tablespoons of macadamia butter as an after-dinner snack. Since macadamias have quite an impressive range of nutrients, would I do well to slightly reduce my butter intake, and replace it with macadamia? I know butter is considered perfectly primal, but at my current level of 3 tbsp a day, I can't help feeling I should at least be getting a little nutrition boost along with my fats...
    I think you'd be well-served to keep your satty fats (butter) higher and your mono-unsatties (macadamia/olive oil) more moderate. PUFA's are pretty clearly the worst (both sides of the CICO debate agree). Are you using good (grass-fed like Kerrygold or the like) butter at least?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Yup, stick to coconut and animal fats. They're really not that spendy. Especially if you render your own.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I think you'd be well-served to keep your satty fats (butter) higher and your mono-unsatties (macadamia/olive oil) more moderate. PUFA's are pretty clearly the worst (both sides of the CICO debate agree). Are you using good (grass-fed like Kerrygold or the like) butter at least?
    Yes, I use Kerrygold or Purity Farms ghee.

For some reason I thought monosaturated and saturated fats were both pretty safe bets... did I assume wrong?

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    When in doubt, go halfsies! I would consider the short-chain fats and K2 in butter more interesting than the macadamias (though I adore both). I might feel differently if I could afford macadamia butter.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Yes, I use Kerrygold or Purity Farms ghee.

For some reason I thought monosaturated and saturated fats were both pretty safe bets... did I assume wrong?
    SFA>MUFA>PUFA in my book.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    SFA>MUFA>PUFA in my book.
    Yup.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right