Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Ferritin levels.....and massive hair shedding page

sigzephyr is offline Senior Member

Low Ferritin levels.....and massive hair shedding

I went to the dr for full blood work up as I was concerned about thyroid issues given the large amounts of hair i am losing.
    He believes all my levels are fine, but i noticed that my Ferritin level is 33. Acceptable range here is 18-200, so I am obviously at the low end of that. From the research I have done, Ferritin needs to be at least 70 for an extended period of time to slow shedding and encourage new hair growth.
    I am going to stop drinking tea for a while as i know the tannin inhibits iron absorption. Take an iron supplement, take molasses. I eat a lot of meat and vegies so i am perplexed about the levels. Any other ideas of options to try and increase my iron absorption and ferritin level?

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Are you anemic? I am and my ferritin is very low, my hair also started falling out in large amounts; low carb accelerated the speed of it, made things even worse for me, inluding my fasting BG. Do you eat low carb? If so, don't. it could make the situation worse.
    Last edited by j3nn; 04-15-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

My dr says I am not anemic. I do not eat low carb. Lots of meat, fats, vegies and starches. Maybe i should increase my fruit intake.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Citric acid (OJ) helps with Iron absorption.

How's the rest of your health, any other issues, clues?

If all ok, then did you experience any stressful events in recent times?

A trauma event, physiological or emotional can cause the body to do a hardcore survival preparation, which results in stopping all non essential functions, and hair is one of these. Once the growth cycle is interrupted the hair is broken, but will usually take over two weeks to grow out and shed, so there is a time delay from the event to visible shedding.

All the folicles do this naturally with around 10% in the dormant phase at any point in time, but stress will induce many more to jump in there resulting in excessive shedding weeks later.

vlo1125 is offline Senior Member
    I just had a thyroidectomy 3 and half months ago an my hair is falling out like crazy! My synthyroid and cytomel dosage are right and my levels a fine. Think adding iron supplements would help with the hair loss?
    Veronica
    High weight: 255 lbs
    Start weight 1/26/13: 233 lbs
    Current 5/24/13: 204 lbs
    Goal: Healthy

Happy Hippo is offline Junior Member
    I stared Paleo in August 2012, and from end of October to February was loosing a lot of hair. I would say 6-7 times more then before. And then it's stopped. I did not add any vitamins, didn't change any hair products. And now I have a lot of short hair growing up. So maybe it's just your body adjusting to Paleo lifestyle.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Yes, insufficient iron causes hair loss. Take iron supplements, check your iron and ferritin level, you'd like the ferritin to be 60-80. Ferritin is the stored form of iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Hippo View Post
    I stared Paleo in August 2012, and from end of October to February was loosing a lot of hair. I would say 6-7 times more then before. And then it's stopped. I did not add any vitamins, didn't change any hair products. And now I have a lot of short hair growing up. So maybe it's just your body adjusting to Paleo lifestyle.
    I have been eating paleo for over 2 years. And my hair loss has only been the last 10 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Yes, insufficient iron causes hair loss. Take iron supplements, check your iron and ferritin level, you'd like the ferritin to be 60-80. Ferritin is the stored form of iron.
    My ferritin level is 33. My dr wasn't concerned but I am. I am taking iron supps now and molasses.

momrn is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It would be best to know what you were before. Is this a drop for you? What about your TIBC and saturation level? Is isn't so much that one number, but your history and current symptoms.

I've dealt with this issue for years. I had a hysterectomy and it ended, but has recently returned in an odd presentation. My ferrtin was 150 by my lab when I had a follow up visit and I had had a massive hair fallout a few months before. I'm back on iv iron for now until we figure something out.

If you are having symptoms, you should follow-up. At the very least you should find out what those other labs are and compare them to past labs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast