Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Ferritin levels.....and massive hair shedding page 2

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sigzephyr View Post
    My ferritin level is 33. My dr wasn't concerned but I am. I am taking iron supps now and molasses.
    Iron and ferritin are not the same thing. If your ferritin levels are low, that is what you need to be supplementing.

I noticed an improvement within 3 days of starting to supplement ferritin after increased shedding and getting my blood levels checked. My iron levels were fine, but ferritin was about what yours is.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sigzephyr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Iron and ferritin are not the same thing. If your ferritin levels are low, that is what you need to be supplementing.

I noticed an improvement within 3 days of starting to supplement ferritin after increased shedding and getting my blood levels checked. My iron levels were fine, but ferritin was about what yours is.
    It's strange I haven't heard of this before. My understanding was ferritin is a protein that binds to iron and stores it in the body. Everything I have read suggests taking iron to increase ferritin levels. Are you suggesting it is possible to skip this and go straight to supplementing with ferritin?

sk8rgrl is offline Junior Member
    I've been trying to solve the mysteries of hair loss caused by low ferritin levels as well. There are some commenters on hair loss forums who are having great success with raising their ferritin levels quickly with iron supplements, vitamin C supplements and lysine supplements. I haven't been able to find much info on lysine's role in iron metabolism. According to the "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" book, lysine deficiency can result in anemia and hair loss. Perhaps it is needed for a carrier protein?

k-del is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sigzephyr View Post
    My ferritin level is 33. My dr wasn't concerned but I am. I am taking iron supps now and molasses.
    I agree with momrn,. Your other iron numbers, if they were run, help to get the whole picture. Plus, doctors blow stuff off all the time. You watch your health way more than they have time to, and in many cases, they won't address an issue until it gets serious (or you keep being a "squeaky wheel"). I just finished a round of IV iron supplementation that spanned 5 doses over 3 weeks. I was anemic, with iron saturation at 4%, total iron at 14, and my ferritin was only 8. And yes, my hair has been falling out in buckets. I have UC, but hemocults were negative, so I am in the same boat as you---cause of iron deficiency is unknown right now. Either you aren't absorbing it properly, or you are losing it. Your ferritin decreases as your body uses its iron stores.

Make sure to ask for all your numbers printed out, so you can analyze them yourself. I personally wouldn't just go on the word of a doc that "isn't concerned". You are concerned, and that should be enough. And many people are happy with being "not sick", but they may not really be healthy, and doctors can fall right into that groove with their patients. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great doctors in the world, but you still have to advocate strongly for yourself. It sounds like you are doing that, for the most part.

Good luck, and keep pushing forward with this.
    Last edited by k-del; 09-01-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12