Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help don't want to completely lose my butt! :-) page

mountainsara is offline Junior Member

Help don't want to completely lose my butt! :-)

Shop Now
    Hi I am new to the forum and have been doing mostly primal for about 2 months now. ( I do eat dairy ) I am one of those "skinny fat" or "flabby skinny" women (45 years old) who has always, since high school, had a poochy tummy even though I am skinny. Sometimes I even look pregnant even though I'm not. This has improved on the diet, my tummy has shrunk and I"m thrilled! The problem is, I have always had a tiny, flat butt and on this program I am also losing more of my butt!! I don't have any to lose, it will be non-exsistent soon! :-) I was wondering if there are any exercises I could do that might help this, or am I just built this way and there's nothing I can do. Currently for exercise I ski and hike, sometimes hike up the mountain and ski down, and I do some free weights and some intervals either on the stair master or running. In general I am outside all the time doing whatever the season/weather permits--biking, skiing, climbing, swimming, you get the picture. And I also do yoga. Any advice to save my butt??

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Add muscle! Squats will do wonders for your glutes . They are also great for your back/posture!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Squats.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I third the recommendation of squats.

Also, hip/glute bridges: T NATION | Dispelling the Glute Myth

mountainsara is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies! I have always been afraid of squats because I have arthritis in my knees. Do you know if it's possible to do squats safely with bad knees? I'm hoping the way of eating will help with the arthritis too but so far it hasn't.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Don't let your knees deload at the bottom of a weighted squat. First start with body weight squats and single leg squats, then progress to weighted squats. Find a good trainer who can evaluate your form so you don't injure yourself.

RyanIPT is offline Junior Member
    I'm going to go against the grain and suggest dumbbell deadlifts since it's geared more towards hip extension and therefore involves more glute activity compared to squats (which I enjoy as well . You might also look at a single leg deadlift as this exercise involves even less movement at the knee. I second Yodiewan's suggestion of bridges and single leg bridges.

That said, increasing muscle mass will probably be difficult to achieve (gender, age, and a naturally skinny build work against you there) BUT not impossible. Muscle tone will definitely have a positive impact on how your glutes look.

It's out of my scope (and can't be guessed) to say what effect an exercise will have on your knee. Research does support the positive benefits of moderate exercise for knee osteoarthritis. Many of the exercises used in these studies focus on the quads and include partial range of motion squats, step ups, and leg extensions.
    Let's make exercise smarter. Integrativepersonaltraining.com

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I have bad knees too and squats kill. I can't do them. If anything hurts your knees, STOP.

My top three butt builders are barbell deadlifts, barbell glute bridges, and using the recumbent bike at the highest resistance. These three things will give you an ass like nobody's business.

The glute bridge is numero uno.
    How to get a Firm Booty - Glute Bridge Training Session | myomytv.com | Free Fitness Blog

This is a very good deadlift to start with. Smith machine, stiff leg. Get one of the staff at the gym to spot you and show you the proper form. You can progress to a free barbell.
    Butt Exercises - Smith Machine Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    Last edited by little vase; 04-15-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Another sneaky butt-builder- kettlebell swings. My kb coach swears she had zero booty before she took up swinging kettlebells.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I feel my glutes the most after doing stiff-legged deadlifts on a platform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast