Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper IUDs (and birth control in general) page 4

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just had a conversation with my OB/GYN yesterday about having a copper IUD inserted. She did not make it sound like fun: having to take medication to dilate your cervix, taking tons of ibuprofen (though I shot or two of whiskey might work just fine) and cramping, though I can deal with that. I know that side effects include heavy periods, cramping, etc. but I have always had light periods and no cramping, so I'm hoping it would not be that terrible and I could put up with it for a few cycles? Also my mom had 3 IUDs inserted in her lifetime (2 of them were copper) and never had a single issue. Do you think it's possible to have inherited her IUD-friendly uterus?

The other option is a low dose progesterone ring of some sort. I refuse to take any form of estrogen/estradiol (the pill made a cyst I had removed from my breast begin to grow back!) but I'm not sure I want to put any hormones in my body at all. I already deal with enough issues.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    I would not do anything with hormones. It just messes with me.

I would take the risk, because you can always have it removed if it's not great for you, and it's likely that it will be fine.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I had a copper IUD and they did not want to give me one as I had not had kids. It turns out the real story was related to insurance compensation. Anyhow, I had no meds to dialate my uterus, took a few ibuprofen, and that was it. It did hurt a bit, though not worse than a pelvic exam for me. Pelvic exams hurt for me especially a pap smear. But it wasn't that bad.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Thanks Zoe and Magnolia. I think I'm just going to go for it. Probably can't get it in for another 1.5 months but I'll check in here when I do.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Give it a shot. I didn't take any medication to dilate my cervix either, just had it inserted during my period when the cervix is naturally dilated. It did hurt, but the pain only lasted a second or two.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

SpitFire is online now Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    In my younger days, the only method of birth control I used was the condom. That really worked best for me because it didn't bother me (condom vs no condom doesn't feel any different to me) and didn't require *me* to do anything. Plus, since I was rarely in stable relationships, condoms were necessary for the prevention of STDs.

In my mid-20s I decided to give oral birth control a try because I wanted to see if I could control when I got my period. (A friend of mine was able to use it to delay her period when she needed to.) That turned out to not work for me, but I decided to stay on it anyway. I took birth control pills for five years. Then last August, I decided to switch to Paragard (copper IUD). I did it for a variety of reasons. I took a brand name birth control pill, and although a generic version is available, I didn't like the generic. The brand name was expensive--$50 per pack even with insurance. Additionally, I was getting older and wanted to avoid the horrible side effects (i.e., blood clots), which became increasingly likely as you got older. A friend of mine suffered a pulmonary embolism caused by the pill, and although it was terrible, she was lucky in many ways because (a) it didn't kill her and (b) she survived it unscathed (i.e. no long-term damage). I mean, it could have been a stroke. I didn't want to have a similar experience. (Plus, there's all that stuff about how hormonal birth control could increase the risk of breast cancer--something else I didn't want to experience.)

So here we go with the copper IUD. Getting it inserted sucked. It wasn't the actual insertion that sucked, it was the part where they stick the "sound" in you to measure your uterus. I never experienced menstrual cramps before--not ever--and now I do. But they're not horribly bad.

The annoying thing is that I gained weight. This could have been completely coincidental and not caused by the IUD (I can think of no scientific reason why a copper IUD would cause weight gain, and weight gain is not listed as a possible side effect). But if you look online there are a gazillion people who think that Paragard caused them to gain weight. Although that could be complete coincidence too, and if you look online you can find zillions of people who think really stupid thoughts. So I don't have any evidence that Paragard causes weight gain, but my weight gain occurred right after I had it inserted.

The second annoying thing is lower back pain. Now, this is a listed side effect. I haven't been able to figure out the biological mechanism behind this lower back pain phenomenon. Some of the things I've read suggest that the lower back pain is really caused by menstrual cramps because the cramps can "radiate" to the lower back. (I guess that means the pain is diffuse so that you may think that your lower back hurts when it's really your uterus? I don't know.) But I get lower back pain (it's not so much "pain" as it is soreness/stiffness/tightness) even when I'm not experiencing menstrual cramps so that explanation is entirely unsatisfactory to me.

The pain isn't terrible--usually just in the morning. I can usually get it to go away by etiher doing the founder (foundational training exercises) or by foam rolling. But it's annoying because it makes me feel like I'm 10 years older in the morning someitmes. It's not every morning, but some mornings I feel so stiff and sore that I dont' even want to get out of bed. And I never felt like that before I got the IUD.

So...has anyone else had any experiences with copper IUDs? What do you think about it? Anyone know of a better birth control method for someone who doesn't want to use hormones and isn't ready to have her tubes tied? (Not 100% sure that I don't want kids.) My boyfriend doesn't like condoms so that's not really an option right now.
    I haven't read any of the responses, but I did have the copper IUD for about 6 months. Initially it was pretty good. But then I did start having the lower back pain, heavy period from the get go, and worse but tolerable cramps. Then something happened. The IUD dropped lower. It wasn't coming out (yet) but my husband would actually hit my cervix during sex and the IUD was right behind it. So, sex sucked, heavy periods, and get this, I was a crazy bitch. But there's no hormones, so how is that possible? There's some thought that the copper build up can cause craziness (copper also builds up during pregnancy. I have a 20 month old). One to two days a month I would be extremely depressed, cry, be irrational. I wanted to love the IUD so much, but decided it needed to come out. *sad* It's been out for 3 or 4 months now and my periods are much better, especially since going primal. I only have a hint of a cramp the 1st day and the flow is much lighter.

My husband (and myself) don't really like condoms, but if we wanna do it, then guess what? We use condoms. It sure beats IUD hell.

I'm still looking into other forms of natural birth control. But aside from charting, there isn't a whole lot out there.

SpitFire is online now Member
    My insurance did pay 100% for the IUD. I just had to pay the co-pay. I think it was $25 or something. Without insurance it was in the $700-$800 range.

diene is offline Senior Member
    So I think I need to update this thread. I did have mine removed about two months ago because I thought it had caused me to gain weight. Now, 7 or so weeks later, I'm pretty sure that it did NOT cause me to gain weight because I didn't lose any weight after removing it.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    thats good to know, diene.

PrimalCon New York
    As promised, I have an update.... My uterus is now officially an inhospitable environment.

I took the cervical dilation drug and 400mg of ibuprofen (with slippery elm tea to protect my stomach) about an hour beforehand, as well as a shot of gin about 15 min. before (I was nervous leave me alone)

The pain was not quite what I was led to believe. I thought it was going to be a sharp pain and then gone, but there was cramping involved with both the sound and IUD insertion. So just as the cramping was subsiding from the sound, I got hit with cramping from the IUD. I would wager that I experienced at least a full 60 seconds of the cramping. It was decidedly painful - I almost started laughing a few times which is what I do in response to significant pain (I have issues, whatever) - but I talked to the doctor through most of it to distract myself and focused on my breath until it was done. Afterwards while I dressed I heard the doctor say to the nurse, "yeah, she did reeeaaally well," as though she was genuinely surprised by my (lack of) response. So either I have a high pain threshold or I'm just better at keeping it to myself. I think both.

I did have dull, mild cramping for some time afterwards which was remedied by further alcohol consumption and now it is seven hours post-procedure and I am still feeling some. It is not truly uncomfortable, merely present. I have not experienced one single menstrual cramp in probably 6 or more years (I am very lucky, I know) so I'm hoping that my future periods are not a problem or only minimally so. Surely, there will be more updates.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast