Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalled......nothing new to the forums page

ez2cy is offline Senior Member

Stalled......nothing new to the forums

Primal Fuel
    I know, I know. There is probably a few dozen posts from people that have stalled in their weight loss.

Right or wrong, I feel it does not apply to me as it's not my post it's theirs.

I am in a funk as the last 3 weeks I'm not just sitting still but actually have a couple of measurements that have increased. Not ones that I would expect ie from gaining muscle etc.

I track everything on MFP. According to it, I should be consuming 1320 cals to lose 2 lbs per week. My macros are set for 65.7 % fat, n 33.1% Proteins. I actually hit in the 70% for fat fairly easily most days, but sometimes have problems (too lean of meats?). I also have a negative for cals from the 1320 allotted because of exercise. Meaning, I'm usually around ( or at least) 300 negative cals a day for what MFP has calculated. Hence, I should be dropping weight like crazy. I was....up till 3 weeks ago.

I walk at least an 1 1/2 hours a day. Swim moderately for 1 hour a day/6days a week. Also, just purchased a new Bowflex which I'm using every 2 nd or 3rd day. Mostly upper body and ab work. Nothing too much I don't think. One exercise to muscle fatique, ie around 7 reps as I believe Mark has recommended.

I have my days, like I'm sure others do, whereas I don't eat exactly what I should, but it's rare. I'm just about always below the cals. I know...cals in and cals out does not always work.

I stay away from grains, sugar etc and just about all dairy. Only dairy I really consume is a whey protein shake when I go to swim and work out. I was worried my protein for being that active would not be enough. Only thing I've really changed.

As I said.....I'm not worried so much about weight. Extra weight could be just a little more muscle. However, when I'm putting on a 1/4 " or 1/2 " around areas like stomach, hips etc...it's not muscle...LOL

Should I be trying to do something else to shake up my body? Different sort of eating? Fasting? Potatoe diet for a week or something?

Thanks for reading and any advice I may get.

Great community.

Flame away at me, oh wise ones! LOL
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    It's probably water retention.

Try a refeed day or two. If you eat at a high deficit for awhile, you need to remind your body that it isn't starving so it doesn't down-regulate your metabolism.

And for a male of your weight, that is a very large calorie deficit--don't think your calculator is correct! I am not surprised you stalled.

Try not restricting calories for a week and eat to hunger (no junk!) Track to see what your calorie count is. If you have maintained for the week, then drop your calories by 500.

This article may be helpful: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...uishy-fat.html

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I definitely recommend mixing it up. Trying harder is clearly not doing it for you. Visit the Alternate day fasting chat and support thread to check out a form of Intermittent fasting some of us are playing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    It's probably water retention.

Try a refeed day or two. If you eat at a high deficit for awhile, you need to remind your body that it isn't starving so it doesn't down-regulate your metabolism.

And for a male of your weight, that is a very large calorie deficit--don't think your calculator is correct! I am not surprised you stalled.

Try not restricting calories for a week and eat to hunger (no junk!) Track to see what your calorie count is. If you have maintained for the week, then drop your calories by 500.

This article may be helpful: Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    I actually am never really hungry at this level, which surprises me. I find I'm actually forcing myself to eat during the day. Nite time, ie after supper, I need to watch as that's when I'd like to eat, always was a problem for me.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Three things, intermittent fasting 3 or 4 days a week (I suggest 16 to 18 hour fast, 6-8 hour feed zone), sprint a couple times a week and do a refeed. Best to mix up your calorie intake as eKatherine suggests. Also, definitely check your calorie counter, as Dragonfly said your calorie deficit is quite high for your body weight for a sustained period. Stay off the scale for a month and focus on eating as healthy as you can and train real hard on your training days and rest oftern.

Ok...what exactly is meant by a 're feed"?

I think my calorie counter is right, as I weigh everything I eat, (that has to be) and input it in MFP daily.

And as I said, weight does not bother me as I know that can fluctuate...it's the measurements that bother me. I look in the mirror and think..."ok...it's working". I measure on Saturday morning and go..."no..it's not working" LOL

I'm just getting back in the dating game at 54...I need to look GOOD! LOL
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Here's the issue: when you eat exactly the same calories and macros day after day, your body becomes accustomed to that eating pattern, not only expecting it, but becomes more efficient at following it. That means you end up needing even fewer calories.

A refeed would be eating extra carbs one day. You could balance this with a lighter day.

Seriously, check out Intermittent Fasting. There are many different possible eating patterns. Go online and check out Fast-5. Visit the JUDDD site. Or Intermittent Feasting.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    A "re-feed" is essentially eating more calories and carbohydrates than a normal dieting day. Some people go crazy on their re-feeds and some people are a bit more conservative it's up to you.

Re-feeds are pretty important because, like Dragonfly said, you have to remind your body that it's not starving. When you decrease calories drastically without re-feeds, you will stall quickly because your metabolism slows.

Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to eat!

Jake
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Three things, intermittent fasting 3 or 4 days a week (I suggest 16 to 18 hour fast, 6-8 hour feed zone), sprint a couple times a week and do a refeed. Best to mix up your calorie intake as eKatherine suggests. Also, definitely check your calorie counter, as Dragonfly said your calorie deficit is quite high for your body weight for a sustained period. Stay off the scale for a month and focus on eating as healthy as you can and train real hard on your training days and rest oftern.
    Ok..sorry.....so the IF'ing...should I be eating in the morning and skipping eating later on in the day as I've read so much about not eating late? Also......train real hard? Is that not against what Mark recommends? As I said...I do walk and swim at a slow pace (again as Mark recommends). My Bowflex workout is about 30minutes and I really go to muscle failure. My last rep (usually 7) I'm fighting to get it done. How should I train harder? Jog? Sorry, I should have said, I do sprint or I have. 2 weeks ago, while walking I sprinted 7 times for about 20 seconds each. Swimming last week, my final 10 minutes of the hour, I swam two lengths normal then did 1 length as fast as I could swim...did that 5 times before I died (well...felt like it..LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Here's the issue: when you eat exactly the same calories and macros day after day, your body becomes accustomed to that eating pattern, not only expecting it, but becomes more efficient at following it. That means you end up needing even fewer calories.

A refeed would be eating extra carbs one day. You could balance this with a lighter day.

Seriously, check out Intermittent Fasting. There are many different possible eating patterns. Go online and check out Fast-5. Visit the JUDDD site. Or Intermittent Feasting.
    Downloaded and starting to read Fast-5, thank you
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17