Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stalled......nothing new to the forums page 4

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    ok...so my BMR is 1751 (non active) 2715 cals according to my exercise. ....so MFP must be close to set me at 1320 to lose 2 lbs/week (at non active). ?????

I also do have a scale and use it a lot.

otzi Guest
    I don't know...I think you need some starch in you! You have probably become insulin resistant--the very thing you didn't want to get. When you don't eat enough carbs, you must convert them in the liver from the protein you eat. Your body is very good at making enough for your brain, but not your whole body, so your body becomes insulin resistant on purpose (physiologocal IR). This is OK for short-term, or needed by some for medical reasons, but for an active guy who has lost a great deal of initial weight, it will lead to stalls in weightloss and muscle gain.

I'd recommend eating a big potato or sweet potato every day and cutting on equal or greater amount of fat calories.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    ok...so my BMR is 1751 (non active) 2715 cals according to my exercise. ....so MFP must be close to set me at 1320 to lose 2 lbs/week (at non active). ?????

I also do have a scale and use it a lot.
    Your right that is pretty accurate. Are you putting in your exercise to bring up your calorie allowance? (It was way off when I did it, however, that was several updates ago) You probably don't want to eat 1000 calories below BMR with exercise. It was just a thought, as some take things like MFP at face value. I know I did when I started...was thrilled when it gave me 1500 calories to sit on my ass.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Otzi; I'll try a potato or sweet potato /day for awhile and see what happens.

Sorry, don't understand your statement "I'd recommend eating a big potato or sweet potato every day and cutting on equal or greater amount of fat calories"

You saying eat potato and reduce my fat intake by that amount?

Sorry, don't understand your statement "I'd recommend eating a big potato or sweet potato every day and cutting on equal or greater amount of fat calories"

otzi Guest

Yes, because simply adding 300 calories or so will potentially cause weight gain if you are losing or maintaining now. I'd cut fat by the same amount of calories as the added potato to be safe.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Here's the unscientific long view:
    Your bodies fat stores have evolved from the days of grok. They are there to get you through the few days that food might be scarce for what ever reason (missed hunt, seasonal difficulties, having to travel long distances, etc etc). Fat stores work fantastically for this task, balancing out the feast or famine grok faced on a daily basis. (fat stores work like a capacitor in an electrical circuit, great for balancing out energy spikes (both in and out)).

Lets look at whats happening to a certain degree in your case.
    Your body has detected a long term energy/nutrient deficiency. It is "not surviving", well it is surviving, there is food just there in the fridge, but it thinks it isn't, its got all the signals it needs to think it needs to survive better. How does the body survive better:

*Firstly it needs to hold onto as much fat as possible as this long term energy deficiency doesn't seem to be ending. Your body looks for other CICO balancing options.
    *Can it force you to increase food intake, kicking in cravings, making you think about food intake all day. (you've got it fairly controlled here) If that don't work;
    *Can it force you to decrease your activity level. (you've got it fairly controlled here too), onto the next and last option:
    *Metabolic down-regulation, the under utilization of non essential body systems. Causing all kinds of minor problems, immune, cell repair, detoxification etc. etc.

This is why alot of people are suggesting Intermittent Fasting. It mobilizes body fat without your body going through the list of things it needs to do to survive better, because on the "other" days your getting surplus energy/nutrients. See that's the trick, you move your calorie deficit from a daily one, to a weekly one. The IF's are providing the famines, you need to provide the feasts, just make sure at the end of the week your a little bit under your calorie requirements for the week. Do this 3 out of 4 weeks (have a week where your just above calorie requirements). Fat will be freely moving in and out of stores all week (like electricity in a capacitor) just at the end of the week a little more fat has moved out than has moved in. hope that helps a bit.

Take a look at the success story in my sig where i elaborate on this a little more.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    ^^ This! A weekly deficit may be the way to go for many, cycling calories between the days...

Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    *Firstly it needs to hold onto as much fat as possible as this long term energy deficiency doesn't seem to be ending. Your body looks for other CICO balancing options.
    *Can it force you to increase food intake, kicking in cravings, making you think about food intake all day. (you've got it fairly controlled here) If that don't work;
    *Can it force you to decrease your activity level. (you've got it fairly controlled here too), onto the next and last option:
    *Metabolic down-regulation, the under utilization of non essential body systems. Causing all kinds of minor problems, immune, cell repair, detoxification etc. etc.

This is why alot of people are suggesting Intermittent Fasting. It mobilizes body fat without your body going through the list of things it needs to do to survive better, because on the "other" days your getting surplus energy/nutrients. See that's the trick, you move your calorie deficit from a daily one, to a weekly one. The IF's are providing the famines, you need to provide the feasts, just make sure at the end of the week your a little bit under your calorie requirements for the week. Do this 3 out of 4 weeks (have a week where your just above calorie requirements). Fat will be freely moving in and out of stores all week (like electricity in a capacitor) just at the end of the week a little more fat has moved out than has moved in. hope that helps a bit.

Take a look at the success story in my sig where i elaborate on this a little more.
    Thanks.

First off what is CICO?

Second.....when you say "other" days (ie fasting) are you suggesting I'd be better off going to alternative days of fasting instead of trying to do this 19/5? (just started doing it by the way)
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks.

First off what is CICO?

Second.....when you say "other" days (ie fasting) are you suggesting I'd be better off going to alternative days of fasting instead of trying to do this 19/5? (just started doing it by the way)
    CICO is calories in vs calories out. It's kinda like a golden rule when dealing with weight loss. But there are many variables that affect how the equation works and hence gets debated a lot on these forums.

When doing fasting it is my belief that you'd be better off using many different fasting regimens and not "lock" your self into one form of fasting. Mix them up so your body doesn't settle into one routine and then "short circuit" what your trying to achieve.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast