Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalled......nothing new to the forums page 2

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Ok..sorry.....so the IF'ing...should I be eating in the morning and skipping eating later on in the day as I've read so much about not eating late?
    No, you have it backwards. For most IF protocols, you are extending the fast from sleeping, which means skipping breakfast. The idea of not eating late is extremely outdated and not supported scientifically. I find it much easier to not eat in the beginning of the day and then eat a big dinner and go to bed, as I hate going to sleep hungry.

Jake
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Your workout is fine. Don't try changing too much at once!

If you are new to Primal, then I actually do not recommend fasting until you have 6 months under your belt (pun intended!) My reasoning is that your body needs time to replenish nutrients.

So focus on nutrient dense foods (lots of articles on the blog here--do a search!), do a refeed day every two weeks, do your workouts and relax!

Women you really want to know are not going to focus on your waistline--speaking as a 50 year old woman!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    If you are new to Primal, then I actually do not recommend fasting until you have 6 months under your belt (pun intended!) My reasoning is that your body needs time to replenish nutrients.
    Here's how I feel about that, being a woman in my 50s as well.

People from all walks of life and from all different ways of eating benefit from various IF protocols. There is nothing about primal or paleo that means a person needs to wait indefinitely to lose weight if what they are doing is not working for them. In fact, I think if people built in dietary variability from the beginning, they wouldn't have these stalls and metabolic slowdowns.

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Women you really want to know are not going to focus on your waistline--speaking as a 50 year old woman!
    I know she is not. She is a great person whom seems to like me for who I am and thinks I'm thin now. (ok..she needs glasses) However, I do not think there is anything wrong with me wanting to look the best I can for her..and also for me. I want 30-40 year old women to look at me and her and say "god is she lucky to have a hunk like him" LMAO
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

otzi Guest
    I track everything on MFP. According to it, I should be consuming 1320 cals to lose 2 lbs per week. My macros are set for 65.7 % fat, n 33.1% Proteins. I actually hit in the 70% for fat fairly easily most days, but sometimes have problems (too lean of meats?). I also have a negative for cals from the 1320 allotted because of exercise. Meaning, I'm usually around ( or at least) 300 negative cals a day for what MFP has calculated. Hence, I should be dropping weight like crazy. I was....up till 3 weeks ago.
    Two things that stalled me out for a long time: Low carb and counting calories based on a calculator.

Here's what I'd recommend: Start eating potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes, plantains, and squash. Aim for about 100g carbs from these sources a day and cut the whey protein drink completely. What happens with low carb is you start to become resistant to insulin, which is needed to replenish muscle glycogen and other things, causing you to hit the wall in the gym and start hanging onto fat.

With regards to calories, the caloric-need calculators don't know you and the calorie charts aren't very accurate. Try to get your diet down to simpler terms like 'servings of meat' 'potatoes' 'pieces of fruit' 'pieces of cheese' 'spoons of butter'. Once you find a diet you can maintain on, it's easy to eliminate or limit serving sizes, pieces of fruit, etc...

Another thing, after a long spell of dieting, try just maintaining without much thought for a month or two. Maintaining can be just as hard as losing, but doesn't put your body in constant stress.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I know, I know. There is probably a few dozen posts from people that have stalled in their weight loss.

Right or wrong, I feel it does not apply to me as it's not my post it's theirs.

I am in a funk as the last 3 weeks I'm not just sitting still but actually have a couple of measurements that have increased. Not ones that I would expect ie from gaining muscle etc.

I track everything on MFP. According to it, I should be consuming 1320 cals to lose 2 lbs per week. My macros are set for 65.7 % fat, n 33.1% Proteins. I actually hit in the 70% for fat fairly easily most days, but sometimes have problems (too lean of meats?). I also have a negative for cals from the 1320 allotted because of exercise. Meaning, I'm usually around ( or at least) 300 negative cals a day for what MFP has calculated. Hence, I should be dropping weight like crazy. I was....up till 3 weeks ago.

I walk at least an 1 1/2 hours a day. Swim moderately for 1 hour a day/6days a week. Also, just purchased a new Bowflex which I'm using every 2 nd or 3rd day. Mostly upper body and ab work. Nothing too much I don't think. One exercise to muscle fatique, ie around 7 reps as I believe Mark has recommended.

I have my days, like I'm sure others do, whereas I don't eat exactly what I should, but it's rare. I'm just about always below the cals. I know...cals in and cals out does not always work.

I stay away from grains, sugar etc and just about all dairy. Only dairy I really consume is a whey protein shake when I go to swim and work out. I was worried my protein for being that active would not be enough. Only thing I've really changed.

As I said.....I'm not worried so much about weight. Extra weight could be just a little more muscle. However, when I'm putting on a 1/4 " or 1/2 " around areas like stomach, hips etc...it's not muscle...LOL

Should I be trying to do something else to shake up my body? Different sort of eating? Fasting? Potatoe diet for a week or something?

Thanks for reading and any advice I may get.

Great community.

Flame away at me, oh wise ones! LOL
    You have tiny thighs you make me feel like i have thunder thighs at 124 lbs.

I think fat loss is very specific to the individual. What works for others might not necessarily work for you. I know for myself when I am intentionally trying to drop some body fat, I have to be really on point with my diet. I do track my calories but I know some people here do not agree with counting. I always end up eating a lot more than I think when I don't track as well as I find myself eating a lot more carbs and very little fat.

What has worked for me when busting a plateau is definitely keeping a closer eye on my diet. I also add 2 sprint sessions in a week along with 2 weight lifting. Calorie cycling has worked for me as well in the past but rarely need to do it when I switched to paleo. The fat just comes off just easier for me now mind you my metabolism is probably a lot different than you.

Thanks cayla about the thighs.

I use to be in the horse industry most of my life and my thighs were always huge..and I mean HUGE from the riding. I do nothing with them now ie bowflex or anything so they don't get huge again. Wish my upper body would do that, Arnold would be scared of me then...instead, the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz could take me in an arm wrestle...LOL
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

!

Just noticed you are from Idaho.

Years and years ago, I went down to Pocatello (spelling) to race horses. The people I trained for had a granddaughter that was telling everyone I was going to Pocaidatellaho ......got a t shirt made there that said that. Guy thought it was good and was going to make more to sell them. Don't know if he did or not.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Did I miss it? Did you post your height somewhere? I think 5'6" and 190 lbs requires a completely different approach than 6'2" and 190 lbs. If you look here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81185.html you can see that a 3 week plateau as you approach a healthy weight is no big deal.

And are you sure you can consistently measure your waist within 1/2"? I find my waist fluctuates 1/2" day to day for no apparent reason.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just noticed you are from Idaho.

Years and years ago, I went down to Pocatello (spelling) to race horses. The people I trained for had a granddaughter that was telling everyone I was going to Pocaidatellaho ......got a t shirt made there that said that. Guy thought it was good and was going to make more to sell them. Don't know if he did or not.
    Haha! We just moved here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast