Thread: Lack of Energy- related to meals/type of fats? page

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member

Lack of Energy- related to meals/type of fats?

Primal Fuel
    So I have been on PB for 6 weeks and before that I was already eating only 115 g carbs (no grains/sugar) a day, so it was not a big leap down to <50/day for me. My question is, I know PB is supposed to stabilize your blood sugar, but I wake up in the morning (after 8-9 hours sleep) feeling awful- body is exhausted, bad mood, brain fog, pain and don't feel ok until about 1 hour after breakfast. Then I don't get "hungry" as in stomach rumbling, just the same thing happens 3.5-5 hours later so I need to eat again. I also notice that saturated fat and cheese (although I generally avoid it, maybe 1x week) make me feel better almost immediately while olive oil (in salads) does not. Now I've had all the tests done and my glucose levels are fine, not hypothyroid, etc. I do have lupus but this isn't really have anything to do with that. Is this a fat-related feeling? As in, I am not eating enough fat or maybe enough calories? I am currently eating 20-40g carbs per day with 70-75% fat, 7% carbs, about 20% protein around 1600 calories a day for a 5'7" 170# woman trying to lose fat. This seems like it should be enough fat in my diet, but I don't know what else it could be as I am not overtraining either.

Repicheep is offline Member
    Out of a backpack, but Paris, France/Colorado
    Can you post up exactly what you might eat for a typical day? Maybe a couple of days of meal plans?

sure, though it's more formulaic with different proteins added in each day:

Typical Breakfast
    3 eggs cooked in the bacon grease usually
    4 slices nitrate-free bacon/or 3 oz sausage/ or 3 oz pemeal bacon
    .5-1 tbsp butter (if make sausage not bacon)
    1 tsp omega-3 fish oil straight
    1/2 c cooked spinach

Lunch
    4.5 oz canned tuna (safe source) or 5 oz shrimp
    3 cups mixed greens
    2 tbsp olive oil based homemade dressing (sometimes just dairy-free pesto with extra olive oil/vinegar)
    1/2 c jicama/fennel/carrots

Snack (usually only 3 times a week)
    1 egg
    1 tbsp butter

Dinner
    5 oz protein (pork chop, grass-fed beef, chicken)
    2 tbsp fat (butter/coconut oil/avocado oil) to cook in/make sauce with drippings
    1/2 c beef stock
    1/2 c vegetable choice(green beans/cauliflower)
    sometimes I have garlic as well

Whopper is offline Junior Member
    this still happens to me sometimes, ive been here about 3 months, it happened most frequently around that 6 week period. i realized that i could usually trace it back to bad sleeping patterns, the PB made me way more sensitive to only getting 4 or 5 hours of sleep. it would give me a feeling of being weak, and not being hungry, but just wanting to eat.

as far as the difference in how you react to the fats, it might be worth noting your body can readily use saturated fats for energy, but monounsaturated and poly need to be converted to a different structure before they can be used, its why your body stores fat as a saturated fat.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you have a cocaine deficiency. There's only one way to remedy that.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Whopper, I think what might have happened is that I dropped carbs completely from one or two meals a day but did not replace them with fat. I am trying not to track right now and it's honestly a little more stressful not to track as I really have no clear indication of where I am and tend to get hung up on feeling fat and like I am going no where with weight loss which leads to me feeling like I should eat less regardless of hunger so I may start tracking again for my sanity! And that makes a lot of sense about saturated fat and why eating butter will make me feel better almost instantly