Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: I have bowel cancer in my family... page

  1. #1
    danhaych's Avatar
    danhaych is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    62

    I have bowel cancer in my family...

    I am a little fearful with this fact. Im 32, my grandfather died of BC when he was in his 50s. Im never constipated but I seem to be having regular diarrhoea over the last few years where it occurs every couple of weeks. Iv seen doctors a few times but its always the same "your too young to have BC"... I know I don't HAVE it but I concerned Im heading for it. Iv been into health for many years. I googled causes for BC and some of the "risk" factors listed are diets high in fat and animal products. Iv been primal for just over a month now, so far Im enjoying it for various reasons, I was amazed to get my cholesterol results today (I know conventional testing is useless) but I was surprised to find that according to Dr my numbers were fine. TC 3.7mmol/L, T 0.4mmol/L, HDL 1.42mmol/L, LDL 1.49mmol/L, Total/HDL 2.6 ? despite the larger intakes of fat including saturated animal fat. Im eating 500g animal protein per day, with breakfast being either omelette with 4 eggs or a protein shake with avocado, almond milk banana, maybe lettuce or zucchini blended in, vegetables I try to have some 3 times daily as well as fruit, obviously no grains. The diarrhoea I don't think is related to Primal cos Iv been like this a few years and primal only just over a month. I feel bloated a lot over the past few years but Iv found it is possibly related to foods of the FODMAP group and cutting them out seems to help.

    Any primals that have put a lot of research into this area???

  2. #2
    upupandaway's Avatar
    upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    317
    I have it in my family too - several close relations experiencing it in their late 40s onwards, over multiple generations.

    As I understand it, there is a fair amount of data to show that metabolic syndrome is a huge problem with both breast and bowel cancer. This abstract sums is up: Metabolic syndrome, hyperinsulinemia, and col... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI (Lots of stuff in google scholar if you look up hyperinsulinemea and cancer.)

    From this point of view (i.e. there are other competing points of view!), diet and lifestyle tweaks should aim to develop and maintain insulin sensitivity. (Poor sleep and stress both contribute to insulin resistance, even if diet is well balanced.)

    'Meat = cancer' research is always overloaded with confounding factors - omnivores are more likely to smoke, drink booze, not exercise, etc. Food quality is not factored in (e.g. grainfed vs grassfed beef) and other potentially problematic foods, like gluten and sugar are often not factored in at all (or factored wrongly - Robb Wolf mentioned one study where a pepperoni pizza counted was a serving of meat. Regardless of whether one eats pepperoni pizza, it is undeniable that is is completely different nutritionally to a steak!)

    Apologies - I have no comment on your diet or your current issues.

  3. #3
    danhaych's Avatar
    danhaych is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    62
    thanks for your input

  4. #4
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,391
    500g of animal protein seems like a lot.
    Dear Mark: Pondering Protein | Mark's Daily Apple

    You may find some improvement with reducing dietary fiber. This means less leafy greens, usually.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

  5. #5
    Gadsie's Avatar
    Gadsie is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,950
    "Protein should be lean and clean, as I always say: low in fat.."

    Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dietary-protein/#ixzz2QdTtedjr"

    Waitwut?
    well then

  6. #6
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    12,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    "Protein should be lean and clean, as I always say: low in fat.."

    Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dietary-protein/#ixzz2QdTtedjr"

    Waitwut?
    That post is somewhat out of date. Mark's position on fats and proteins may have changed by now.

    This covers protein needs and a bit about excessive protein and is a little more recent.
    Dear Mark: How Much Protein Can You Absorb and Use from One Meal? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

  7. #7
    danhaych's Avatar
    danhaych is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    500g of animal protein seems like a lot.
    Dear Mark: Pondering Protein | Mark's Daily Apple

    You may find some improvement with reducing dietary fiber. This means less leafy greens, usually.
    I didn't say that right. Its not 500g protein, its 500g meat. In a day I would eat about wow I just calculated it, only about 100g protein. I think I need more considering with that article you posted I would be in the group that should be eating 1g/lb bw...

    Also that article doesn't mention anything about Marks view on fat that you said he has now changed. I can only afford minced meat chicken/beef/pork/turkey at the moment.

    Whats Marks view on cows milk? Suppose it should be raw cows milk?

    What did you mean "improvement with reducing fiber"? what is that suppose to improve?

  8. #8
    Lewis's Avatar
    Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by danhaych View Post
    I am a little fearful with this fact. Im 32, my grandfather died of BC when he was in his 50s. Im never constipated but I seem to be having regular diarrhoea over the last few years where it occurs every couple of weeks. Iv seen doctors a few times but its always the same "your too young to have BC"... I know I don't HAVE it but I concerned Im heading for it. Iv been into health for many years. I googled causes for BC and some of the "risk" factors listed are diets high in fat and animal products. Iv been primal for just over a month now, so far Im enjoying it for various reasons, I was amazed to get my cholesterol results today (I know conventional testing is useless) but I was surprised to find that according to Dr my numbers were fine. TC 3.7mmol/L, T 0.4mmol/L, HDL 1.42mmol/L, LDL 1.49mmol/L, Total/HDL 2.6 ? despite the larger intakes of fat including saturated animal fat. Im eating 500g animal protein per day, with breakfast being either omelette with 4 eggs or a protein shake with avocado, almond milk banana, maybe lettuce or zucchini blended in, vegetables I try to have some 3 times daily as well as fruit, obviously no grains. The diarrhoea I don't think is related to Primal cos Iv been like this a few years and primal only just over a month. I feel bloated a lot over the past few years but Iv found it is possibly related to foods of the FODMAP group and cutting them out seems to help.

    Any primals that have put a lot of research into this area???

    I think the truth of the matter is that "fat and animal protein" have been fingered for pretty much everything on pretty much no evidence for the last 50 years. The root of the matter seems to be Ancel Keys' assumptions as to what caused heart disease. There's a fascinating (and horrifying) historical look at this in Gary Taubes' big fat book. There's also interesting light on it in a recent interview with a top NIH researcher that I posted below here somewhere. Basically, Keys knew you could lower total cholesterol by swapping out saturated fat for polyunsaturates. The problem is this: lowering cholesterol ISN'T the be-all and end-all. Turns out you can have low cholesterol & still die of heart disease. WORSE: some polyunsaturates seem to make things worse.

    However, once Keys had "dissed" animal fat & protein as regards heart disease, everyone assumed it was the problem in every other ailment that flesh is heir to. But this is piling bad assumption onto bad assumption.

    I'd be sceptical.

    Anyway, here's what may lighten your mood: a number of 19th century anthropologists, medical missionaries, and the like seem to have reported virtually NO cancer of any kind among primitive people living their traditional lifestyle & eating a traditional diet. Albert Schweitzer would be an example.

    You mention specifically bowel cancer. I can't recall anything specific on that -- other than dubious theories that it's down to not evacuating the bowels enough & that cereal fibre would help here. (Dr. Burkitt seems to have come up with this one: he seems to have been aware of tribesmen who did eat fermented porridge, but unaware that these people were sieving out the bran & discarding it. Kind of kills that theory, huh?)

    My hunch -- I can't say it's any more than that -- is that it would be worth googling up the site run by "Caveman Doctor". I'd read all his posts & listen to his podcasts. He's a radiologist (so works in this area of medicine) & seems to be finding that Paleo diets can help his patients. Plenty of sleep -- and in a room as dark as you can make it -- seems to be indicated too. Caveman Doctor has a blog post entitled "sleeping away cancer". That's well worth a read.

    http://www.cavemandoctor.com



    EDIT:

    This rather puts the current assumptions into question:

    http://rdfeinman.wordpress.com/2012/...ummer-part-ii/
    Last edited by Lewis; 04-16-2013 at 11:36 AM.

  9. #9
    danhaych's Avatar
    danhaych is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    62
    Interesting, thank you, but couldn't find anything on bowel cancer. I don't think the sites "search bar" is very efficient

  10. #10
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,219
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just had my mind blown by this presentation on ALL types of cancer:

    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •