Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have bowel cancer in my family... page 2

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My God, he can cure cancer! And they won't let him test it publically.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have to say that I found that presentation pretty unconvincing. His one case study only demonstrated that a woman relapsed in the normal time frame that a patient relapses with a brain tumor. The fact that she was ketogenic for a while and then not really doesn't mean anything. Also, the standard of care frequently involves surgery - which he doesn't mention, but i suspect that patient had.

The mouse data strikes me as odd as well. Tumors in the brain are not usually reported by weight. It is impossible to resect out a tumor from the brain and get a precise weight, so I would have rather seen his imaging data. His photos show large extracranial tumors on his mice. This is not a normal occurrence with GBM (it happens because tumor cells that get injected in the brain leak back out of the injection site and grow above the skull) and extracranial tumor growth cannot be used as a surrogate for what is happening in the brain.

I'm not saying the this strategy wouldn't work, although personally I have seen cancer patients go literally weeks without a single bite of food and it had no effect at all on their tumor growth. Perhaps it was simply too late for those folks. Mice and rats will also stop eating when they develop brain tumors.

Studies have shown that current strategies for treating brain tumor barely improve survival. However, they do not shorten life expectancy. So if his statement that the treatments are what are killing people was true then survival should be worse with treatment.

Interesting ideas. I am not impressed with the quality of that data.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Mark talks about fat consumption pretty regularly, don't feel like digging up the articles.

On the fiber front, read gutsense.org.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Scott FM is offline Junior Member
    Dan, my family also has a history of cancer and it is nothing to be taken lightly. It killed my grandfather prematurely, cuased severe health issues for my mother and I drew the low card in my generation.

Two years ago I was coerced into going in for a colonoscopy since my older brother (55 vs 48 yrs) had one and several growths were detected and removed. In my case, NINE precancerous polyps were removed- some rather large. They were completely removed and the chances for cancer diminished for the time being.
    Mind you, the recommendation here is that you begin routine screenings at age 50 and I went in two years early. The doctor's comment was:" You were fortunate to come in early, in two years we would be having a very different conversation".

Another scope in January confirmed all is fine for right now..I go back again in 3 years.
    I guess the point is that even though you are eating differently now, you have 30 years of conventional diet and genetics against you. Go, get it checked and sleep better.

KT79 is offline Member
    Have you ever been tested for celiac disease? Untreated celiac can lead to bowel cancer, and it's a highly genetic disease, so it runs in families. Regular diarrhea is one of the 'classic' symptoms. I would really, really encourage you to ask your doctor to do the blood test for celiac.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I just had my mind blown by this presentation on ALL types of cancer:

Yes Dr. Seyfried's book which is very technical and dense is very well explained and broken down by Dr Georgia Ede on her site "Diagnosis: Diet".

Awesome stuff. And one of the biggest reasons why I, as a cancer survivor, am going to continue to eat LCHF for the rest of my life.

danhaych is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Mark talks about fat consumption pretty regularly, don't feel like digging up the articles.

On the fiber front, read gutsense.org.
    I dunno, something about that gut sense site just screams nutcase... Just a little sus that "HIS" theory on IBS seems to centre around people buying his overpriced multi vitamin, vitamin C mix and probiotic. I mean at certain points he is saying that soluble and insoluble fibre are the problem... 2 problems - first is that 2 of his products actually contain soluble fibre in the way of slippery elm bark and Acacia senegal, second it would mean cutting out a large amount of fruit and veg which contain both soluble and insoluble fibre. Where does one get their nutrients? (from his multivitamin? vitamin pills I tend to agree with certain professionals in that they are a waste of money and are potentially dangerous)...

At one stage he is suggesting not to eat fat then another he says it important to eat fat.

I agree that psyllium is probably not the best thing to become reliant on but for different reasons to what he says. Psyllium forms that gel like substance and essentially binds with the meal you've just eaten preventing your body from absorbing the nutrients.

By cutting out soluble and insoluble fibre what does one eat? meat and fat?

I think the area of research into FODMAP foods and its relation to IBS makes more sense...

I don't take psyllium, I'm thinking my flora is fine considering in one part he says the presence of gas from insoluble and soluble fibre is caused by flora, so I guess because I have what most people would say is normal amount of gas, that I have flora... I don't see how cutting out all soluble and insoluble fibre is going to be beneficial. I'll get sick from poor immunity...

Quote Originally Posted by KT79 View Post
    Have you ever been tested for celiac disease? Untreated celiac can lead to bowel cancer, and it's a highly genetic disease, so it runs in families. Regular diarrhea is one of the 'classic' symptoms. I would really, really encourage you to ask your doctor to do the blood test for celiac.
    No been tested, not coeliac...

Paleobird Guest
    I think you're misreading or reading into Konstantin's work some stuff he didn't say.

He specifically says that incidental fiber in some fruit or veggies is fine if one has a healthy digestive system. He is against the "health food" CW of adding extra insoluble fiber to everything and using fiber as a bulking ingredient in processed foods. So eating some fiber that comes with your food is fine, it is eating fiber just for the sake of eating fiber that is damaging.

He only recommends the super low fiber diet as a temporary healing procedure for people whose guts have been ravaged by way too much "healthywholegrains".

Konstantin does come off as a little odd perhaps on a personal level but I don't think he's a nutcase. I think he is an extremely intelligent person who is expressing himself in a language that is not his first and so is sometimes misunderstood.

Give him a second read. I give him some serious props just for having the nerve to challenge the "unquestionable" virtues of a high fiber diet.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Please read the first page (only) of my journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81870.html

If you hae none of those "sensitivites", don't worry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12