Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Flax and Psyllium be Avoided? page

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member

Should Flax and Psyllium be Avoided?

Primal Fuel
    I read somewhere here on the site that many people use psyllium as a bulking agent, and that it should not be necessary. I think it was called eating "sticks and twigs" or something.

I know that grains are discouraged, and I understand why. Is psyllium considered a grain that should be avoided?

And how about flax? Being a seed, is that considered okay to eat for regularity?

Thanks!

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    Why would you eat flax? small seeds alot of them? for what? Omega3? c'mon, there are by far better alternatives (real fat fish)

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I personally don't like flax because of the phytoestrogens... but psyillim I use as additional fiber once or so a day

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

RSL
    Why would you NOT eat flax? Ground flax can be used to make baked things, like bread and muffins, etc. Is there a reason NOT to eat it? That is my question. Flax meal is good for digestion and regularity.

And how about psyllium?

Thanks!

Yeah, I said I would avoid flax because of the estrogenic properties.

Psyillium, don't really see a reason unless more fiber doesn't do you good.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

RSL
    CW says Americans need serious fiber in their diets. And by “fiber” CW often means bran buds, whole wheat, psyllium husks – you know, sticks and twigs roughage. We’re talking that 1980’s Saturday Night Live bit about Super Colon Blow cereal. Let’s just say that the more sensitive among us, in particular, want to broach the question: “Is this really the best way?”

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fiber

This is where I read that psyllium was not good or needed or something...

Im talking about a pysillium powder... It's not needed... but as I said, if the fiber improves digestion, then use it, if not, don't use it... I just don't see a definitive negative to taking it

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    if you're eating veggies & getting enough fat, you shouldn't need fiber for much of anything. as for the flax, mark covers the ala omega-3s & various other concerns here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flax-...e-cancer-risk/ personally, the only time i use flax is ground up in my smoothies (maybe a tbsp) & sometimes a bit in my almond flour bread. otherwise, i see no need for it in my diet.
    Last edited by aboutsaffron; 05-09-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

RSL
    Thanks! I will look at that flax link.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    When I feel like something 'bready' I make a flax meal mug muffin for breakfast, to have with my bacon and eggs. Basically it works out to 3 tablespoons of flax meal about 4 x per week. I copied this from Mark's post linked above ( http://www.marksdailyapple.com/flax-...e-cancer-risk/ )

So, what’s my current suggestion in light of the potential prostate cancer link? If you’re a woman, the obvious point of the research isn’t relevant. Nonetheless, the underlying role of phytoestrogens in flax is nonetheless an important one. I’d say that healthy women can consume low to moderate amounts of flax without concern. Sure, a large amount of research suggests the protective effect of phytoestrogens against breast cancer (in healthy women), and this research includes flax.
    As prostate cancer is not something I worry about it I think I will continue to eat my muffins!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast