Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How's my squat-free lifting plan look? page 2

Dickson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i see.. even worse than originally stated. i'm curious as to how your chest could be so comparitavely weak compared to the rest of your body. other injuries? lack of athletic background?

i'd also say to maybe get on to some sort of routine and stick to it. starting strength may not be the answer you're looking for, but there are several quality programs out there. you should focus on building a total body strength foundation. i second what RM stated earlier, if the belt helps you, then wear it. the hell with anyone who makes you feel stupid.

or you could focus on bodyweight squats, slowly adding weight. you could do goblet squats, use a weighted vest, etc
    Well, I'd contend that at 6'4 220lbs with around 25% bodyfat-- 10 pushups has been a good start from 0 in January. I'm built like a potato with Salvador Dali drawn stick limbs, so my 38" arms aren't helping my efforts. My only background in athletics is as a varsity swimmer in high school, I somehow managed to stay out of shape for 4 years while swimming 5k+ yards a day (and eating 5k+ in junk/mountain dew). I am at the forefront of the "new generation" youth coming up-- I spent my teenage years playing world of warcraft/eating junk instead of playing sports (or enjoying the hobby farm I lived on).

I know I need improvement, and I appreciate the positive feedback. Just trying to get a solid plan to get me through one more year of sleepless grad school to compliment my primal eating.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    Just trying to get a solid plan...
    i think that is the key for you. finding yourself a solid plan and then sticking to it. so you can see some measurable improvement/progress and build a good foundation. squats of any type, deadlifts, bench press/pushups, overhead press, dips, pullups/chinups, and rows are bascially the cornerstone lifts that you should build your program around. i break my lifts in to "push" and "pull" days. thats what works for me. you mentioned that you go to a gym. so you probably have access to all of the equipment needed to do all of these things. there are a lot of geople on this site who can help to get you moving in the right direction, and who can help you with form questions if you post videos and pictures. we're here if you need us
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RyanIPT is offline Junior Member
    Wow, sounds like you've made some excellent gains! Congrats!

Just an extreme thought, you might even consider nixing the back squat as it sounds like your spine doesn't much care for it. A single leg squat could take some of that extension moment off of your spine and you could chop the depth to make it comfortable.

No reason to be dogmatic about what exercises should and should not be performed--and to what depth. As you've figured out (I learned the hard way too ), pushing yourself into socially approved exercise boxes can really hurt. We're all working with different equipment, no reason we should all do the same thing.
    Last edited by RyanIPT; 04-15-2013 at 01:26 PM.

David_Hobdell is offline Junior Member
    Great info, Squatting can be a bit technical and you must not have any flexibility issues in the lower body especially the hips. I agree, Squats are the king of all exercises

Lockstock is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I don't feel squats are necessary if you can at least do heavy D-lifts.

While I agree that squats are invaluable in a program, useful, all around body builder I just don't think there necessary for everyone, and not everyone can do them.

A lot of people have flexibility issues that prevent them from doing proper squats that go beyond simply stretching the hammies and foam rolling the glutes.

That being said, other people can squat and not dead-lift. So I would argue that as long as you had one of them, then included assistance exercises you'd probably be fine.
    Eg. Heavy dead-lifts with 1 legged/split quats/barbell lunges/goblit squats replacing the heavy BB squat.

Or. Heavy squats with barbell glute raise thingamaggies, glute/ham raises, etc to hit the posterior.

JimmyDamage is online now Senior Member
    You could aways try front squats. Many people find them more natural and it will be much easier for you to keep an upright torso. Could help with the back. I would try it out at any rate to see and this will allow you to alternate between deadlift and squat days.

i think that is the key for you. finding yourself a solid plan and then sticking to it. so you can see some measurable improvement/progress and build a good foundation. squats of any type, deadlifts, bench press/pushups, overhead press, dips, pullups/chinups, and rows are bascially the cornerstone lifts that you should build your program around. i break my lifts in to "push" and "pull" days. thats what works for me. you mentioned that you go to a gym. so you probably have access to all of the equipment needed to do all of these things. there are a lot of geople on this site who can help to get you moving in the right direction, and who can help you with form questions if you post videos and pictures. we're here if you need us
    You say you break up your split into push/pull, how is it you have the energy to do both Bench/dip and OH pressing?

I like the idea of that kind of split, and it would work great on Pull day but for me, benching and pressing are exhausting tasks for my chest/shoulder I couldn't imagine doing both in one day!

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockstock View Post
    You say you break up your split into push/pull, how is it you have the energy to do both Bench/dip and OH pressing?

I like the idea of that kind of split, and it would work great on Pull day but for me, benching and pressing are exhausting tasks for my chest/shoulder I couldn't imagine doing both in one day!
    I actually don't bench anymore. In recent times, it has irritated my shoulders. I do my dips and some pushup variations to take care of those muscles
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

I actually don't bench anymore. In recent times, it has irritated my shoulders. I do my dips and some pushup variations to take care of those muscles
    Do you add weight to the dips/pushups?

I was thinking on cyclying between every horizontal push workout between dips and bench, so, one session 3x5 bench then the next horizontal push I do dips, this is just a measure to hopefully help avoid injuries with the bench? thoughts?

Dickson is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It is funny that this thread had been revived after a year, and I just happened to log in to the forum again for the first time in a few months.

I'm actually now squatting once a week at a strength based hardcore gym. It's pretty awesome, it's sort of a crossfit gym with an emphasis on strength rather than speed. No kipping pullups, and everything is based around a sort of 5/3/1 lifting schedule (Monday-squat/front squat rotation, Wednesday-BP/OHP, Friday Sumo/conventional deadlift). So squat day may be 5x3 squats working up to a new PR 3 topset, followed by box jumps/kettlebell swings, weighted walking lunges, then heavy prowler pushes as the finisher.

I still struggle with squat form, and I am playing around a bit with it. I like to shoot my hips up first and good morning the weight, but now I am playing with a high-bar, wider stance. My front squats definitely feel more natural and are relatively stronger than my back squats.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast