Thread: Organ meat suggestions? page

MprDoc is offline Senior Member

Organ meat suggestions?

Shop Now
    OK! So, I finally found somewhere on island other than whole foods that sells grass fed beef and aside from picking up some steaks I also got half a beef heart and some liver! Any recomendation on cooking these guys? I am planning on putting the heart in chilli but was thinking about the prep process, I see some veins on that guy that I'm not so sure about!

Any advice would be great!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The Nasty Bits: Beef Heart, 4 Ways | Serious Eats : Recipes gives instruction on how to prep the heart. Also there are some videos on youtube.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Liver is awesome ground in a blender and added to meatballs.

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    Hey thanks Joaniel! UpandAway, whats the ratio of liver to meat??

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Depends how much you like the taste of liver (my meatballs usually contain onions, spices etc as well.) - I usually go for 1/5 - 1/4 parts liver.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Other stuff. Search this site for "Paleobird liver pate."

I loved heart when I tried it, but in the end, it was too much tedious work (see sloth avatar) to clean it and now that nasty bits are becoming part of the foodie lexicon, offal isn't as inexpensive as it once was.

Liver. Some things I've seen posted to take the musty taste down a notch. Soak in milk overnight. Saute with bacon in bacon fat. Ground in burger about 3:1 muscle meat to liver. My favorite: saute in chicken fat or butter with onions and a little sweet vermouth. Eat hot, or chill and run through the food processor and eat off a spoon or baby bok choy "scoops."

Still on my list of "to try" - sweetbreads and testicles. I'm actually more interested in the testicles. <<< Sounds bad out of context.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite