Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's this for false advertising? page 2

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    How is it false advertising?
    They have to make a statement (or imply one) that is not true or could be misleading to the average consumer.
    Assuming all the statements are true (eg contains SOY and does NOT contain MEAT etc) then it's not misleading - though perhaps saying it's healthy IS misleading......(though how is this proven).

As for the use of the word Primal - I cant see problem with it (the word can be used in many areas including vegetable based foods). In any case they openly state it's vegan/vego.

So would I eat it? - No! : it's processed junk (IMO).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The issue with the word "primal" is that it has no legal definition that the FTC can enforce. I wonder if "healthy" has none also, or the product qualifies by some of the ingredients it contains.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The issue with the word "primal" is that it has no legal definition that the FTC can enforce. I wonder if "healthy" has none also, or the product qualifies by some of the ingredients it contains.
    Something can be healthy and/or unhealthy depending in how/when its taken, how much and by whom.

If "health" claims/words were scrutinized in adverts (apart from very obvious things like cigarette smoking), then almost very product would need to be justified ("Healthy grains", "healthy fruit juice", "healthy snack", "health food", "health/fitness center", "health services").

I think it's a claim that 'conceivably' has a 'reasonable chance' to be true for most people (well, sort of...maybe... ) - you could probably challenge it legally if you had the time/money to provide evidence to prove it to be false, or force them to put up reasonable evidence to support their claim and then refute it with counter evidence (but that's not going to happen in the real world).

So they can make their claims unchallenged - they even may believe them themselves.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deghvon View Post
    hell is vegan anything primal?
    Veggies, I guess.

M.

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    I've seen these at whole foods. Blech.

Buy yeah, you can't stop them from calling it primal. WE have a gut reaction of "Hey! That's OUR word! Get off it!" But there is no trademark on the word primal, nor an official definition the precludes this product. They are allowed to call it "delicious" too....
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I've noticed these at the local health food store for quite a while now. I really wasn't surprised to find out that they were vegan given the predominance of vegetarians and the fact that I've yet to meet one person in my town that would describe their diet as "primal". Fortunately the same store does sell locally raised and made grass fed beef jerky.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Something can be healthy and/or unhealthy depending in how/when its taken, how much and by whom.

If "health" claims/words were scrutinized in adverts (apart from very obvious things like cigarette smoking), then almost very product would need to be justified ("Healthy grains", "healthy fruit juice", "healthy snack", "health food", "health/fitness center", "health services").

I think it's a claim that 'conceivably' has a 'reasonable chance' to be true for most people (well, sort of...maybe... ) - you could probably challenge it legally if you had the time/money to provide evidence to prove it to be false, or force them to put up reasonable evidence to support their claim and then refute it with counter evidence (but that's not going to happen in the real world).

So they can make their claims unchallenged - they even may believe them themselves.
    There are certain claims that the FTC does enforce. Recently somebody got in trouble over something (spray margarine) they were selling as "fat free" because the label serving size was so small it had only half a gram of fat. But a reasonable serving had a lot of fat in it. Also, cereal companies have made health claims in the past that they were forced to rescind.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I've eaten the Trader Joe's version. I was shocked at a) how much it was exactly like real meat and b) how I couldn't stop eating it. I haven't eaten any since I changed my diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12