Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clams vs. Oysters page

j3nn is offline Senior Member

Clams vs. Oysters

So, I decided to compare clams to oysters today and found that they are nearly identical in many nutrients and minerals, and clams are surprisingly superior in some of the comparisons. Zinc and selenium are really the only major things oysters have on clams, but even then clams are still aren't too shabby! Is zinc the reason why oysters are touted more often than clams? I like clams better.

Data based on 3 oz (drained) canned for each and the bars are the RDA.
    Last edited by j3nn; 04-14-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Paleobird Guest
    I like both. I take some seaweed noodles, boil them in clam juice until it reduces and the clam flavor is soaked in and the noodles are softened. Then mix in some clams, oysters, and any other seafood I have around plus some heavy cream and grated parmesan. Voila. Primal seafood Alfredo. With iodine levels that would make Grizz blush.

I used to live in Baja Mexico for three or four months out of every year and I often ate clams for several nights out of any week. You could get them by the bucketful with about 30 minutes work.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 04-14-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I like both. I take some seaweed noodles, boil them in clam juice until it reduces and the clam flavor is soaked in and the noodles are softened. Then mix in some clams, oysters, and any other seafood I have around plus some heavy cream and grated parmesan. Voila. Primal seafood Alfredo. With iodine levels that would make Grizz blush.

I used to live in Baja Mexico for three or four months out of every year and I often ate clams for several nights out of any week. You could get them by the bucketful with about 30 minutes work.
    I boiled the heck out of kelp noodles and they were still crunchy, what did I do wrong? Seafood alfredo sounds delish, some crab meat would probably make it even better.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I boiled the heck out of kelp noodles and they were still crunchy, what did I do wrong? Seafood alfredo sounds delish, some crab meat would probably make it even better.
    Boil them for a loooooong time. If you don't have that much time you can also steam them in the microwave for about 8 minutes for one package..

Boil them for a loooooong time. If you don't have that much time you can also steam them in the microwave for about 8 minutes for one package..
    I should try the slow-cooker! Overkill? lol

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I should try the slow-cooker! Overkill? lol
    Never tried them in the slow cooker but that might not be a bad idea.

Never tried them in the slow cooker but that might not be a bad idea.
    I figure it tenderizes meat very well, must have the same effect on noodles.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    This is pretty interesting to me. There has been a big shortage of smoked/canned oysters where I live (no idea why) and i just can't get them. Clams are still available, but I though they weren't nearly as good.

If only they had more zinc! That is one of the reasons I like to have the oysters - but overall they oysters look like a great choice. Thanks for posting.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i can go get both just down the road. the oysters arent huge so i tend to eat them raw. clams are pretty much the same as what we call cockles i think. i'm allowed 150 per person who comes harvesting with me. i love them. i eat them raw or steamed or i make things with them. we cant get kelp noodles here but they do sound yummy. maybe i should attack a bullkelp stem with a julienne peeler!

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm really lucky because I live near the North Sea and we get oysters, clams, mussels, crabs and all manner of wonderful stuff landed close by - they have stalls where you can buy a small plate of whatever you like and eat it right there (awesome fast food)

images.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast