Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duck eggs vs chicken eggs page

RC3435 is offline Junior Member

Duck eggs vs chicken eggs

Shop Now
    Are duck eggs better for you than chicken eggs. I currently eat 2 fried eggs each morning for breakfast. They are from some of Wal Marts finest layers. I have a friend that has duck eggs he said I could have. The ducks just run loose and eat natural stuff so I assume just on that one fact alone they are better than the Wal Mart eggs. The price is also right, he said he would give them to me. I just wanted to make sure they are as good or better for you than chicken eggs. Thanks for the help.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    highly nutritious, spend the money saved on something else delicious yummy

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I would certainly choose free range duck eggs over conventional chicken eggs! They are a little different though. When cooked, the texture is a bit "stiffer". They are great in custards or any kind of baked goods. I use 1/3 duck, 2/3 chicken in frittatas and omlets. Nobody in my family really cares for them straight scrambled. We haven't tried them just fried though.

You're lucky to get them free! We pay $5/doz. Although, when you consider how much bigger than chicken eggs they are, it's like paying $3.50/doz for chicken eggs.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RC3435 View Post
    Are duck eggs better for you than chicken eggs. I currently eat 2 fried eggs each morning for breakfast. They are from some of Wal Marts finest layers. I have a friend that has duck eggs he said I could have. The ducks just run loose and eat natural stuff so I assume just on that one fact alone they are better than the Wal Mart eggs. The price is also right, he said he would give them to me. I just wanted to make sure they are as good or better for you than chicken eggs. Thanks for the help.
    No, no, no, no. You mustn't eat duck eggs. They are highly toxic. You must send them to me. I will dispose of them properly for you.

But srsly, I'm so jealous.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    No, no, no, no. You mustn't eat duck eggs. They are highly toxic. You must send them to me. I will dispose of them properly for you.

But srsly, I'm so jealous.
    I also get FREE free-range duck eggs, and my husband doesn't like them ('cause he's an idiot)... which means more for me!

And I LOVE them scrambled.
    Why do people have a problem with scrambling them?
    NOM!
    Just be gentle with them so the protein doesn't stiffen, pretend you are making a french omelette. Don't over cook.
    Perfection.
    Better than any chicken egg ever thought about being...

But... if all you have ever eaten is weak-sauce store bought hen eggs, you may notice a distinct flavor difference that takes some time to adjust to. It's a stronger flavor.
    Try mixing the eggs while you adjust to the new taste if you find it overpowering.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

scrambled duck eggs with butter, cream, fish eggs (caviar), smoked salmon....

<Homer-style-drool-emoticon-needed>

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuhiko the Rolfer View Post
    scrambled duck eggs with butter, cream, fish eggs (caviar), smoked salmon....

<Homer-style-drool-emoticon-needed>

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    I'm stealing that image!

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I love duck eggs - favorite way currently is deviled duck eggs. Not liking duck eggs over chicken eggs is just crazy talk.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Depends on how they're raised and if they're similar in price. My parents has a guy that sells them $2/DOZEN! He has chickens AND ducks that he raises himself on his farm, so I'll take duck eggs every single time. They're bigger and two times higher in cholesterol than chicken eggs - all good things. The only downside is they're higher in fat with the same amount of protein, so they're more calorically dense than chicken eggs.

The biggest upside - much lower in PUFA than chicken eggs. They contain a higher MUFA:PUFA ratio.

If you're in the city like where I live, you probably won't have access to duck eggs or they'll be extremely expensive. Pastured chicken eggs are $6.99/dozen at Whole Foods. I buy regular chicken eggs 3 dozen for $4. They're from a local farm in Lancaster at least...probably a big time hen house but at least they're coming from an hour away and their yolks are a lot darker than a store brand egg.

Check out the nutrition info for yourself. If you can get quality duck and chicken eggs for a similar price, I'd take duck 100% of the time. They're a lot more flavorful, too.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Egg, whole, raw, fresh
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Egg, duck, whole, fresh, raw

Obviously in your case, pastured duck eggs vs Walmart chicken eggs...this should be a no brainer!
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-15-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast