Thread: Is anyone still doing the leptin thing? page

janeen is offline Senior Member

Is anyone still doing the leptin thing?

Primal Fuel
    I remember it was a seriously hot topic a year or two ago. I could never keep up with that monster thread; now I can't even find it.

Is anyone still doing it? For those who did, what results did you get?

Thanks,
    Janeen
    Janeen

Omni is offline Senior Member
    There's a couple if you search "Leptin reset", but this is the one you might be thinking of, 1,001 pages.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

I've read bit's and pieces of it, am dubious about the protocol, particularly the morning loading of protein, and the other thing I saw lots of talk about it, but no documented testing of leptin levels before and after.

Interested to see if anyone can give something more definitive.

GKL
    GKL is offline Member
    By the leptin thing, you mean carb re-feeds to maintain high levels of leptin? If so, I'm doing. Have been since the first of the year. I've been focusing on dropping my bodyfat to 7-8% which means I've been eating quite a bit below maintenance except for the 2-3 days I lift heavy. I'm normally low carb (40g or less) but after lifting I hit the carbs (150-200g). I think it has really helped keep hunger to a very manageable level despite steady fat loss.

No
    You want low levels of leptin.
    Carb refeeds are primarily for training purposes and building up glycogen reserves.

Paleobird Guest
    I think by "the Leptin thing" the OP meant the Dr Kruse protocol. Yes?

My opinion on that is that it is a couple of really sound nutritional principles shrouded in layers of folderol and unnecessary complication to make it mysterious and make Dr K a god.

Good advice in it : (The reason why it works)

1)Eat high fat and protein with low carbs
    2)Eat fewer big meals and no snacks

All the stuff about exactly this # of grams at exactly this time is the folderol, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think by "the Leptin thing" the OP meant the Dr Kruse protocol. Yes?

My opinion on that is that it is a couple of really sound nutritional principles shrouded in layers of folderol and unnecessary complication to make it mysterious and make Dr K a god.

Good advice in it : (The reason why it works)

1)Eat high fat and protein with low carbs
    2)Eat fewer big meals and no snacks

All the stuff about exactly this # of grams at exactly this time is the folderol, IMO.
    The link did quote Kruse, so I think it is the one,

But, yeah, everything else I've read is that it is lower carb higher fat, fewer meals (fasting) and don't expect quick results.
    Many indications are Leptin is the first thing to go wrong, so as you unravel your health problems it will probably be the last to normalize, at a guess 2-5 years maybe if you have significant health issues.

Yes, definitely, I was referring to Dr Kruse's leptin reset. I've also read Richards' Mastering Leptin. The protocols are similar, but not quite the same. Kruse is experimenting, trying to move forward in the field, but he tends to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

I remember some folks were doing well, some (women especially) were gaining. I was just wondering what long-term results were and if anyone is still doing it. Or was it a flash in the pan?
    Janeen

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    There's a couple if you search "Leptin reset", but this is the one you might be thinking of, 1,001 pages.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

I've read bit's and pieces of it, am dubious about the protocol, particularly the morning loading of protein, and the other thing I saw lots of talk about it, but no documented testing of leptin levels before and after.

Interested to see if anyone can give something more definitive.
    Oh yes; that's the one. Thanks!
    Janeen