Thread: Primal and Construction Workers page

mushin85 is offline Junior Member

Primal and Construction Workers

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone,

I have a question about how to modify my primal diet plan to suit my needs as someone who works in the construction field. I recently found a job installing A/C system in residential homes in Florida and find myself in HOT attics from time to time. This is the type of career that I will be in for some time so I want to make the best of it. I also need to be able to think clearly while diagnosing problems with peoples systems. I guess the intuitive answer would be more carbs, but I also have about 70lbs to lose and Id like to lose them fast (as to make crawling around in tight spaces a little easier). Im going for lean and strong, not bulk. What types of nutrients will I be losing through the profuse sweating and what should I focus on replenishing on my lunch hour and after work? What should I bring for lunch? Thanks for any advice you guys can give. Grok On!

-Bryan W.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Electrolytes: Sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium

Carbs are NOT the enemy of all weight loss. You're active, you can probably use them. I'd replace some fats in your diet to stay within your calorie range and eat some more good carb sources, like oranges (Hey, you're in FL!), potatoes with lots of salt, white rice, carrot salad with raisins, dates, etc. I'd suggest making homemade "Gatorade" with orange juice and salt; soak your feet in Epsom salt or take a whole Epsom salt bath for magnesium. I like Natural Calm supplement for magnesium as well, but Epsom salt soaking is probably safer and easier on the tummy. So important to keep your electrolytes balanced, especially in hot and humid conditions. I've experienced heat-induced dehydration and it's pretty scary but avoidable.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

mushin85 is offline Junior Member
    Wow, some good suggestions there thanks!

OJ and salt - will sea salt work? (or is there a preferred type of salt?) and should I go for the OJ with added calcium?

I plan on keeping a couple gallons of water around at all times. I used to use a powdered electrolyte supplement that you add to water that was just a pure electrolyte mixture with some lemon flavor (no sweeteners at all) when I worked in landscaping. Might look into that again and just mix it right into the gallon jugs.

Thanks for your response!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mushin85 View Post

OJ and salt - will sea salt work? (or is there a preferred type of salt?) and should I go for the OJ with added calcium?
    +1 on electrolytes. Sea Salt is just plain salt (i.e. NaCl, maybe with some iodine added). I'd shoot for pink salt (or my favourite, black salt). They have a much wider array of trace minerals.

If you want to be wiry and lean but strong and fit, I can think of no better person than Al Karvadlo, who is pretty lean but wicked strong.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mushin85 View Post

I plan on keeping a couple gallons of water around at all times. I used to use a powdered electrolyte supplement that you add to water that was just a pure electrolyte mixture with some lemon flavor (no sweeteners at all) when I worked in landscaping. Might look into that again and just mix it right into the gallon jugs.

Thanks for your response!
    I'd use regular white table salt for electrolytes; pink Himalayan and black Hawaiian for tastiness in food. use all kinds, but heavy on the white table salt as its low in impurities and iodized.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams