Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hypothyroidism seems to be getting worse on PB page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

hypothyroidism seems to be getting worse on PB

Shop Now
    I know I keep posting similar things, but I'd really like to hear from other people any ideas as to what I can do. I can't change the way I eat, so something's gotta give for the next month.
    I asked my husband his frank opinion of how I've changed, good or bad, since starting this WOE. His response included a few things I've noticed and some things I knew only he would.
    1) My scent has become a bit more potent.
    2) My LDL has risen dramatically, it doesn't matter which formula you use (no, I haven't been able to get a VAP yet.)
    3) My moods and reactions have changed. I've gone from my happy- go -lucky self with a dark side to a much less reactive, more "meh", "acting kinda like [I'm] drugged out" version. This is creeping dangerously into acting like my medicated into submission mother territory.
    4) I've had my energy more in spurts than as constant as it once was.
    I've noticed the last three myself. I believe this WOE's putzing with my thyroid levels, which I've seen other indications of.
    Is it possible for hypothyroidism (possibly Hashimoto's) to get worse on the PB? Is there anything I can do to counteract this worsening? I know I need to get my meds tinkered with, but I have to wait a month for my appt.(No Mashewa, I'm not taking Noni juice. I'm allergic to it.)

emmie is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean "possibly Hashimoto's"--have you been diagnosed? And why do you have to 'wait a month' if you're having symptoms? I get checked every 4 months, but if I'm having symptoms and phone my endo, he orders the blood tests immediately. You can have radical changes in your thyroid hormone levels at any time, especially if you have Hashimoto's (as I do), and it can be unrelated to any lifestyle issues. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease, and the antibodies can attack the gland at any time. All your symptoms could be from changes in your T3, the hormone that regulates many body functions.

Insofar as food affecting your thyroid, that would only be true if you were eating a boatload of unfermented soy poducts along with a regular diet of raw broccoli, cabbage, and spinach. Those veggies should be cooked if you're hypo, and you should be avoiding soy.

If I were you, I'd be getting my T4 and T3 levels checked ASAP.

I'm seeing an endocrinologist for the first time in a month, it was the first appt she had available. My normal dr(s) is/ are being useless about this, telling me I'm fine when I know I'm not. My T4 is 1.26, my TSH is 2.26, they refuse to measure my T3. I keep requesting it and it keeps not happening. Hence, finding a decent endo.
    I do avoid all except true fermented soy sauce (1 tbsp maybe once every couple weeks.) I love raw broccoli, but I try to keep it to maybe a small handful 3 times a week, cooking it the rest of the time. I always cook the rest of the goitrengic veggies.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    What's the diet like? I wouldn't recommend you go below 50-60 grams of carbs if you have a thyroid condition, depleted liver glycogen screws with deiodinase and impairs t4 --> t3 conversion. On top of that has anything else changed since you started? For instance stress or supplementation wise.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Stress remains roughly constant, if anything, it's a gotten a little better in the past week. I generally hit somewhere around 50g carbs with 1 standard deviation being approximately 10 g carbs. My protein is usually 80 g, mostly from beef and chicken with a little shrimp or salmon. My fat makes up approx 60% of my intake, mostly meat fat, olive oil, and butter, with the occasional dark sesame and nut oil. I've not really changed any of my supplements. I take a women's multivitamin 2-3 times a week. I need to start taking fish oil for my o3: o6 ratio, but I haven't figured out which brand yet. I came over to this from a fairly veggie heavy low fat diet (3-4 svg grains daily.) I can't handle most frankenfats or man made polyunsaturated fats, so that's not the issue.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Hmm looks good on paper... except for the fish oil, definitely start taking some omega 3s... I could see that since you went from low fat to high fat it probably resulted in an influx of omega-6s, and since you're not supplementing with omega 3s, could be a problem.

Here's what I would do:
    nutrient check yourself, make sure you're getting enough iodine, selenium, magnesium, zinc, B-6, and all the other good vitamins/minerals EVERYDAY, I see the multi, but that's only 2-3 times a week
    supplement with omega 3s /Vitamin D
    go organic if financially possible to avoid all the nasty chemicals/additives/preservatives/xenoestrogens/pesticides that affect the endocrine system
    start using coconut oil instead of the poly oils, even olive, coconut is know to be pro-thyroid, and IMO, is better then the rest of those oils
    try getting between 50-75 grams incidentally and through organic fruits/veggies

Im guessing since you said nothing else changed, sleep is A-ok? You also said your stress (cortisol) has been fairly consistent, so I doubt it's that.

Any new pains anywhere?

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    How many carbs are you eating? Thyroidmanager.org talks about how not eating enough carbs can creates problems with T4 conversion to T3.The recommendation is 50 grams.

Are you making sure any iron supplementation is taken at least 4 hour apart from thyroid meds? Are you making sure calcium is taken 4 hours away from meds and iron?

Estrogen in the form of HRT or BC pills can interfere with the availability of usable thyroid hormones. Testing free T4 and freeT3 gives a better picture of usable hormones.

FWIW, my experience with an endocrinologist, did not lend itself to good treatment. The one I saw was a TSH worshiper and felt treating with anything other than levothyroxine was unnecessary. He also saw no real reason to test T3, since T4 converts to the T3 we need.This belief persisted even after it was shown I needed T3 meds and did well on them.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You are wise to be seeking a new doctor who will check your T3. By the way, your 'numbers' are meaningless without the lab ranges. When you see your new doctor, be sure to request a copy of your bloodwork. Your T4 should be about half the lab range, and your T3 should be in the upper half of the range. My endo likes to control my TSH at about 1.0, but I am usually lower than that. When my T3 tanked about a year ago, my TSH was 2.6 (range limit is 5.0) and yet I was so fatigued I could barely get through a day.

There's nothing in your current WOE that should impair your thyroid, but I'd definitely start the fish oil. I use Carlson's brand because I'd heard it was very pure and very reliable.

By the way, have the doctor check your Vit D level as well. Hypos are notoriously low. I was only "low sufficiency" and I started supplementing with 4000IU (Carlson's again--D3), and I really feel a lot better with the rise in my D level to 'sufficiency.'

Wschmucks is offline Junior Member
    I'm sorry, but i really disagree about the lab ranges. Lab ranges are formed on a bell curve, meaning that the very top and the very bottom get marked as "abnormal", and everything else is "normal"-- this has nothing to do with what your body needs for optimal health, its a qualitative comparison. I too am a thyroid sufferer and would NEVER let a lab range dictate what is best for my body. In my experience a TSH of 2.5 would be WAY too high for me, Id feel awful.

With that said: if you have hashimotos the primal diet should not effect it-- BUT i have read about the lack of carbs effecting T3 levels (due to conversion problems, so maybe keep carbs around 50 like the other responder mentioned). I will say that your consumption of soy, raw veggies etc is too much, you really should not be eating these at all-- it is BAD for you....just like we dont eat sugar cause its bad for you....you cant eat soy or raw veggies. So in my opinion that is hurting it.

For testing: good job on requesting free T3 (reminder-- it has to be "free" t3...thats important). I'd try making a few other appointments, because a month is toooooo long. There are other Drs you can see who treat your thyroid besides an endo. Endos unfortunately tend to specialize in diabetes more often than thyroid (even though they're suppose to do both-- diabetes is more profitable). Look up a local thyroid message board or something, they might be able to give you a good Dr. recommendation.

Just my thoughts!
    Last edited by Wschmucks; 05-09-2010 at 11:07 PM.

maddie427 is offline Senior Member
    As a follow-up to Wschmucks comment on making some other appointments, I agree. If you click with the doctor you already have an appointment with, you can always cancel the others, but I would hate for you to have to wait another month to get in with someone else. I have found all of my good thyroid doctors from this website : http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/

Most patients will make notes in there as to which doctors do which tests and prescribe which meds.

The other place I found my doctors was from the Armour thyroid website. I am not on Armour any longer (I take compound T3/T4 from a compounding pharmacy), but I used it as a reference as to which doctors are open to other types of treatment besides Synthroid. These doctors have a tendency to be a more open to all of the tests as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast