Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Give me a good reason. page 4

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Can you please elaborate a bit on this? I've sort of switch to a peatish diet, not fully as I still eat muscle meat 2 times per day. I did however up my dairy, fruit, add sugar to my coffee, and routinely add maple syrup to fruit for dessert. I have always been avoiding corn/seed oils, instead really only using coconut oil/butter for cooking. I do however still eat chicken/pork probably 3 times a week. I always buy lean cuts (not pastured as I cannot find any in my area), but still.

What's considered a high PUFA diet? Thoughts? Would having chicken breast/pork loin 3 times a week be considered high, medium or low PUFA assuming I minimize all other consumption.

Edit: To clarify, I eat chicken 2-3 times per week, and pork only once
    I think anything below 10g daily is probably fine, lower is ideal. I eat less than 4g of it myself, and it actually probably mostly comes from carrots, eggs, and that teaspoon of coconut oil. Coconut oil itself helps to displace the pufa with more saturated fat, so cooking eggs, chicken, etc; in coconut oil should help.

I love PaleoBird as I met her at PrimalCon 2 years ago. But I love this. Not being afraid of sugar. So you consume 300+ grams of fructose a day? From fruit? Lots of honey?
    Sugar is nothing to be afraid of! It's a benign substance, that helps to move ATP and thyroid production in the right direction. And yeah, I eat a lot of fruit, drink juices, and add honey to a lot of things. Honey fruit smoothies are the best.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You and Derp are both lean young dudes. You can probably handle the sugar a lot better than I could.

But, Todd, before you start drinking Derp's heavily sweetened Peatarian Kool Aid, you should know that he also smokes cigarettes, does drugs, drinks like a fish, and consumes enough caffein and sugar sweetened OJ and milk to give a hummingbird adrenal fatigue. Not to mention rotten teeth. He doesn't eat anything resembling a Primal diet and yet pontificates here. He is also 6'3" and only weighs 150. He is not the picture of health that you want to emulate.

Also, judging by what he writes about how much life and the world and everything about it suck, he also is, IMO, clinically depressed. Having your blood sugar raging around on a roller coaster like that all day will do that to you. It might not be the sole cause of the depression but it sure doesn't help any.
    Ah, so it's jealousy! Now it's clear, don't worry, I understand. I'd be jealous of me too.

lol... I don't drink like a fish, or do drugs, the few posts I've made about them shouldn't be any indication. I have no reason to delve into harder substances, and feel no addiction towards them. I experiment, as I'm sure nearly everyone has at least once in their lives. My family is enough of a reason to deter me away from alcohol, besides the fact it's estrogenic. Feel free to make more baseless assumptions about someone you don't know at all on the internet though, in no way does it make you look like an ass. You also beat your "jokes" into the ground, and worse yet, you take them from other people.

Another thing, I don't have rotten teeth, in fact, I have very normal teeth. I've never had a cavity in my entire life, nor have I ever had a single pimple, before you make more CW judgments about lots of sugar intake. My skin is very clear, my teeth are normal(they're not blindingly white, because I don't bleach them as I'm not obsessed about it like most people in the US) but I use baking soda and peroxide along with coconut oil pulling so they look and feel very clean. No pain whatsoever, and they're quite strong.

As for being 150lbs, yeah, I'm actually the picture of envy for many people. I even get approached about being famous or a model. Jealous? Being thin has never been a problem. I look great in clothes.

Educate yourself about the myth of chemical imbalance and depression. It has nothing to do with blood sugar, if it did, I'd be a much happier individual, as my blood sugar is very healthy(you'd know if you saw my labs) unlike yours, which actually does roller coaster thanks to your stress hormones stimulating gluconeogenesis constantly. Up and down up and down, mine just stays normal-high. Having higher blood sugar is not a problem, low blood sugar is, unless you like brain fog, irritability, and dizziness, and an uncanny ability to make yourself look like a donkey(unscientific observation there).

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Before eating primal, I wished I had won the metabolic lottery, you know, the ability to burn carbs (sugars and starches) right away like a good friend of mine (sugar junky that just stays lean regardless) but all these carbs made me more and more fat regardless of exercise (biking, running, etc). I tried sugar free diets (but keeping starches and grains) and all I got was withdrawal symptoms the first days (almost constant headaches) so I knew I was fucking up somewhere in my brain by eating all this sugar (endorphin prod).

The best move by far for me has been the total elimination of wheat: that stuff was the culprit, the crap that screwed me up the most. From there, everything followed and my health is now at its best. Now you guys have to accept that some people do fine on carbs, others do not so fine. We do not pretend to know everything there is to know about our own metabolism, all we can do is to experiment and see what makes us feel on top of things ALL the time. It is a moving target ...

Paleobird Guest
    I don't envy you, Derpy, m'dear. I truly do feel sorry for you.

Everything I said about you was from your own words. It's nice that you still have healthy teeth. I doubt they will stay that way. You might want to get a good dental insurance plan if you are going to continue eating Peaty.

Your speculation about my metabolism is just totally wrong. I have a very even ketone burning metabolic rate which, contrary to Peatarian doctrine is in no way "stressful". What is stressful is being a sugar burner who has to keep the metabolic fire stoked every few hours with another infusion of sugar.

And you have proudly stated that you go number 2 about 5-7 times a day. How is that healthy? And your weight at your height may look good as a clothes rack but not in swimwear like Mark. No, there is no envy going on here. Also, I am at my goal weight. I got there by Primal eating, something you might either want to embrace or else find another forum to troll.

Actually, with all the calcium and vitamin k2 I get from my diet, it's very likely they will stay that way. How is your plaque build up, btw?

Sure it isn't.

People with more frequent bowel movements have less frequency of colon cancer.

And, have you ever thought that maybe I don't want to look like Mark Sisson? With no disrespect to him(I actually like the guy, he's very nice), he's not aging very well, and I've never desired that sort of body. With the clothes I wear, they look much better on a very lean person rather than bulging muscles(skinny jeans, droopy sweats and tanks, layers)

Plus, I care about my skin and hair and don't want early wrinkles or grey hair from killing co2 production.

Paleobird Guest
    My plaque is non existent. I also eat a lot of calcium and K2. Some things we do agree on.

5-7 times a day is pathological. Probably one of the reasons you stay so painfully thin is that everything flushes on through so fast. But that is not good for absorption of nutrients by the digestive system.

Chronic constipation does correlate to colon cancer but I don't have constipation. I'm just not, as knifegill put it so aptly, a "fruitarian salad shooter".

I think Mark is gorgeous but that is a matter of personal taste. As are your respective fashion choices.

My skin and hair are healthier and younger looking now than ten years ago.

Your stomach acid dissolves the nutrients, people with slower digestion don't absorb nutrients as quickly as people with faster digestion. It has nothing to do with frequency of bowel movements, waste must be excreted. When I take supplements, they hit me immediately, I don't just excrete them with no effect. I can feel their effects immediately, whereas someone with a slow digestion and metabolism likely don't feel them for hours if at all.

I pass for 18 in my mid-20s, and my skin looks more youthful all the time. Skin health is a good indication of what you feel like inside. Positive in, positive out.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Your stomach acid dissolves the nutrients, people with slower digestion don't absorb nutrients as quickly as people with faster digestion. It has nothing to do with frequency of bowel movements, waste must be excreted. When I take supplements, they hit me immediately, I don't just excrete them with no effect. I can feel their effects immediately, whereas someone with a slow digestion and metabolism likely don't feel them for hours if at all.

I pass for 18 in my mid-20s, and my skin looks more youthful all the time. Skin health is a good indication of what you feel like inside. Positive in, positive out.
    Um, first of all, it's the intestine that does the actual absorption of nutrients. All the stomach does is break it down into chyme. Your food is obviously flying right though your intestines.

And looking 18 when in your mid 20's? My, what an accomplishment! Try looking 35 when you are 50. Youth is so cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Um, first of all, it's the intestine that does the actual absorption of nutrients. All the stomach does is break it down into chyme. Your food is obviously flying right though your intestines.

And looking 18 when in your mid 20's? My, what an accomplishment! Try looking 35 when you are 50. Youth is so cute.
    ... What? They're connected one in the same. Point is, a slow digestion has a lack of a concentration of acid and enzymes involved in breaking down nutrients, ergo their effects aren't felt immediately. Is that all you can do? Fail to argue semantics? This isn't literature, sweetheart.

Also, no offense, but your avatar picture doesn't look 35. You look pretty, but definitely not that young, so people are likely trying to just flatter you. I thought the same, but I still get carded everywhere for cigarettes even if I shop in the same places.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    ... What? They're connected one in the same. Point is, a slow digestion has a lack of a concentration of acid and enzymes involved in breaking down nutrients, ergo their effects aren't felt immediately. Is that all you can do? Fail to argue semantics? This isn't literature, sweetheart.

Also, no offense, but your avatar picture doesn't look 35. You look pretty, but definitely not that young, so people are likely trying to just flatter you. I thought the same, but I still get carded everywhere for cigarettes even if I shop in the same places.
    A normal digestive system (not a slow one) has plenty of acid and enzyme concentration to break the food down in the stomach so the nutrients in it can be absorbed by the intestines. (Not arguing semantics, just correcting some basic physiology for you.) A digestive system where most everything coming in is liquid and everything is flying out the other end 5-7 times a day simply does not have time for full absorption of nutrients to take place.

If you keep smoking cigarettes, your face is going to look like an old wrinkled up saddle by the time you are 35.

I just don't see how someone who cares so little for their health can pontificate the way you do.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast