Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any scientific studies showing the negative effects from PUFA's? page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This. Both the ratio and the absolute numbers are important. But supplementing a bunch of fish oil to make up for too much O6 consumption is kind of like saying a bunch of hail Marys and then saying it balances out the sin. A little bit of sin is essential to a healthy life. Too much, along with lots of hail Marys is not healthy.
    I like the analogy PB. Well put.

Seems you've been agreeing with the majority of my posts lately. Are we on some psychic-bonding wavelength of which I am not aware?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I like the analogy PB. Well put.

Seems you've been agreeing with the majority of my posts lately. Are we on some psychic-bonding wavelength of which I am not aware?
    We are great minds thinking alike. You just type faster than I do.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    We are great minds thinking alike. You just type faster than I do.
    Matching smileys, how cute.
    You gonna do matching clothes now, sandals, knee high socks, kneelow shorts, blue and white striped T-shirt with a straw hat to cap it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Agreed, should have been more specific, I wrote merely in the context that it is nearly impossible to get too much O3 on a balanced primal diet without excessive supplimentation.
    Will take that one on the chin.
    Again, I disagree that it's "nearly impossible to get too much o-3."

In the context you frame it, "a balanced primal diet," you can easily get too much. Eating fatty fish? Consuming a lot of pasture-raised eggs? Check and check for the majority of us. Both are good sources of o-3 and you can overdo it. And then, a lot of us primals supplement with cod liver oil or fish capsules on top of that.

Not to mention that the o-6 levels found in pork and poultry kind of mean we NEED those "hail Marys" Paleobird was talking about just to keep our ratios in check. But then, this leads to too much o-3 AND o-6.

Bottom line is here, keep o-6 levels as low as you can, then o-3s can be low as well, and no overload of either and yet you keep the ratio in balance.

Paleobird Guest
    This is why I don't eat pork or poultry and all my red meat is grass fed/finished. I do eat lots of seafood and eggs. And I don't supplement.

No hail Marys needed for me.

This is why I don't eat pork or poultry and all my red meat is grass fed/finished. I do eat lots of seafood and eggs. And I don't supplement.

No hail Marys needed for me.
    I only eat poultry if it's the best "primal" option when eating out and pork is MAYBE once a week for me? So I think I am doing fairly well on this as well. I also eat plenty of pastured eggs, some seafood maybe once a week, and lots of grass-fed beef and lamb.

Paleobird Guest
    I only eat poultry if it's the best "primal" option when eating out and pork is MAYBE once a week for me? So I think I am doing fairly well on this as well. I also eat plenty of pastured eggs, some seafood maybe once a week, and lots of grass-fed beef and lamb.
    Right. I will eat pork or poultry if it is the only thing edible on the menu or in the case of not wanting to be an ungrateful jerk when a friend has made dinner.

Again, I disagree that it's "nearly impossible to get too much o-3."

In the context you frame it, "a balanced primal diet," you can easily get too much. Eating fatty fish? Consuming a lot of pasture-raised eggs? Check and check for the majority of us. Both are good sources of o-3 and you can overdo it. And then, a lot of us primals supplement with cod liver oil or fish capsules on top of that.

Not to mention that the o-6 levels found in pork and poultry kind of mean we NEED those "hail Marys" Paleobird was talking about just to keep our ratios in check. But then, this leads to too much o-3 AND o-6.

Bottom line is here, keep o-6 levels as low as you can, then o-3s can be low as well, and no overload of either and yet you keep the ratio in balance.
    I will beg to differ here,
    The best I've seen from any terrestrial foods, without O3 enrichment, is a ratio of about 3:1, usually higher, that is still significantly under the optimum of 2:1 or 1:1 depending on source.

So unless you are loading more than half your diet with fatty fish, it is unlikely you will exceed the 1:1 ratio, besides, you will probably have exceeded your optimum protein intake at this point as well.

So again if you are eating a balanced primal diet without excessive O3 supplimentation it is highly unlikely you will exceed the optimum O6:O3 ratio.
    Last edited by Omni; 04-14-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Omni, I think we are disagreeing on the definition of "too much o-3" here.

To me, too much o-3 is not "when you get more o-3 than o-6 in your diet."

To me, too much o-3 is "when you've consumed more than your body needs and the rest is likely to simply oxidize and cause harm."

You can have a perfectly optimized 1:1 ratio of o-3 to o-6 in your diet and still have too much o-3, especially if your o-6 load is large to begin with and you need lots and lots of o-3 to simply balance your ratio out.

Fair enough,
    How much O3 is too much? I don't know what that number is.

I haven't seen a paper specifically detailing that point, but one does have to wonder about the arctic and many tropical island peoples where the bulk of their food consumption is sourced from the sea, this would atleast indicat a higher absolute quantity than even the average Primal eater would encounter.

Will keep that query in the background file, if I should stumble across anything relevant.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast