Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential Oils as perfume... I need advice! page

greenari is offline Junior Member

Essential Oils as perfume... I need advice!

Primal Fuel
    I won't go into the toxins and whatnot that are in normal perfumes, let's just say I refuse to use them and I usually move if someone around me smells very strongly of perfume. (I'm also 5 months pregnant, so I might yack on them because of it, lol)

I have read before that people put a few drops of essential oil in water in a spray bottle, or mix it with a neutral oil and rub it on. But every time I try this it just smells like crap to me! I've tried various mint oils thinking they would be nice and fresh - nope, smells like rotten candy after 10 minutes. Jasmine and orange makes me smell like a greenhouse or an old lady that makes everyone sneeze.

I just spent 30 minutes in the health food store smelling every oil and premixed perfume concoction they sell and I left empty handed.

I need advice, what have you had success with? Is there some big secret I don't know about?
    I know it's not a big problem, I don't want to use it everyday, but when it's date night, I'd like to smell a little extra nice.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    My guess is that this has something to do with your pregnancy and the fact that your nose is hyper sensitive right now.

Try again later.
    Sorry.

That was my experience when I was pregnant too.
    Maybe try to find a place that sells naturally scented (with essential oils) goats milk soaps... and give those a sniff.
    They will leave a very, very light scent on your skin that might be more tolerable.

Smelling the EO's from the bottle in extremely concentrated form cam be overwhelming to anyone and you probably won't be able to tolerate this approach until your senses calm down post pregnancy. And even the premixed perfume oils are heavier/more intense smelling than most regular perfumes, only requiring a small dab to last a long time.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Thanks Cori! I bet you are right about the pregnancy, and that's great advice to try some soaps. Thanks for the advice, and your avatar makes me smile.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    It looks like the same little girl in both avatars, so cute.

I've never mixed EO with water. I really like jojoba as the carrier oil or even coconut oil. I think you get a deeper, more custom scent if you mix more than one oil - one could be your top note (the very first scent to assail your olfactories) and then a second note (the scent that lasts as soon as the top note wears off). I've mixed as many as 6 EOs to get a nice scent. A single EO might just be too one note to you but if you mix two you might fall in love. First determine what you love best in a scent.....herbals, spices, florals, woods, etc. And then experiment with your preferred scents. I think musks, patchoullis and sandalwoods are really great bases to start with and build from. And lavender. It goes very well with anything.

These samplers from Edens Garden are wonderful. It's really an enjoyable hobby to make your own scents. You can also make scented sea salts and sugar scrubs and the like. So much scent for so little, and you totally control the ingredients. Please just make sure the oils you play with are safe to use while you're pregnant.
    Amazon.com: edens garden sampler: Health & Personal Care

Awesome, little vase. I knew someone would know what they are doing instead of me just pretending to I like the idea of coconut oil and having a solid perfume to rub on my skin like lotion. And believe me, I will be careful not to send myself into early labor or something!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    What carrier oils are you using? I've had good results with scentless oils like jojoba in the past, I avoid sweet almond and coconut because their own scent interferes with the essential oils. That said, I often just use EOs straight on my skin. I've never had any irritation.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

I had been using sweet almond oil. I will definitely try jojoba, sounds like that's a favorite of the pros. Any favorite EOs, Damiana?

Jojoba isn't really an oil, it's a liquid wax. So it's really stable. And it's very similar in makeup to sebum, the "oil" produced by human skin. So it's absorbed readily and won't clog your pores. It has no scent. Love it.

If the scent of coconut goes well with the oils you're mixing, try it! One way I love using it it to mix a batch using CO as the base and then keeping a jar of it in the fridge. It will solidify and it feels so good in summer to rub a little light summery scent on your skin that's cold. I like mixing CO with fruits and florals for a light scent.

If you really want to get into it, enroll at EOU....Essential Oil University Countless oils and compounds available in their database for members.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I like this thread! I hate, hate, hate perfume. But would love to smelly girly once in a while. I have a vanilla/orange spray that is essential oil based. I love the smell, but it only lasts for about 5-10 minutes.

Do different oils have different times that they stay on? Or do all of them fade very quickly like that?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That is such a great question, jammies. I was going to type out a novel length answer but these explain it pretty well
    What do I need to add to my essential oils to make the scent last on my skin? - Yahoo! Answers
    The Laboratory of Flowers Essential Oils

Also, what else is in that spray? If it's alcohol it breaks down the EOs once it's out of the bottle and that might be the reason the scent dissipates more quickly than you would like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast