Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tips for this patient? page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    Have you checked the obvious: type II diabetes? If so a very low carb diet might be the next step. Even if she is not frank diabetes it might be worth a shot.
    If she has thyroid issues I wouldn't reccomend VLC. Some carbs, plus selenium and iodine (plus T3 supplements) for thyroid health.

Also for weight loss, I agree that 1200 seems like starvation levels for someone her size. Is she having a 'feast day' every week to upregulate her metabolism?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    That doesn't seem like enough calories for her size. It may sound crazy, but she could be gaining because she isn't eating enough. Signalto the body that the famine is over so it will start burning fat. I know I start gaining if I drop my calories to ~1200, and I only weigh 175.
    Yep, it sound outright crazy!

Enokai is offline Junior Member
    what a bummer for you patient...

dairy allergy? thyroid? I feel SO much better with t3/t4 combo rather than just t4. good thought to test her adrenals.
    Maybe she does need a few more calories. Or some walking/light exercise? but a 50lb wt gain on primal doesn't sound right. Is she gaining inches too?

I work in the medical field and I'm pretty intuitional (with people who are in front of me usually), but my gut says I don't think its her diet.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Is her temperature low? Perhaps she isn't eating enough, metabolism has gone down to meet her at this lower intake and brought the thyroid and adrenals with it.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Address the thyroid issues first, do that research and find out why she is hypo, is it the result of having RAI for overactive, is it due to thyroid destruction by Hashimoto's or is it just the std Hypothyroid.

Get a full thyroid panel, including all the antibodies, FT3, FT4, TSH, also the RT3.
    What is her circadian rhythems like, is she sleeping normally?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Bernstein, of “Diabetes Solution” states “Hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disorder, like diabetes, and is frequently inherited by diabetics and their close relatives. It can appear years before or after the development of diabetes and is not caused by high blood sugars. In fact, hypothyroidism can cause a greater likelihood of abnormalities in the cardiac risk profile than can blood sugar elevation.

The treatment of a low-thyroid condition is oral replacement of deficient hormone(s) – usually 1-3 pills daily. The best screen test is free T3, as measured by tracer dialysis. If this is low, then a full thyroid profile should be performed. Correction of the thyroid deficiency inevitably corrects the abnormalities of cardiac risk factors that it caused.

TSH, the inexpensive thyroid test performed by most physicians, does not correlate as well with symptoms of hypothyroidism as free T3.

My goal with these patients is to use supplemental T3 and T4 to get free T3 and free T4 to the middle of the normal range.

jtrippdc is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all of the tips everyone. She has been upping calories slightly lately and body temp has gone from 96ish to 97ish. In terms of workouts, she does competitive kettle bell lifting + yoga. She also does some cardio. I did send her an article earlier today on how chronic cardio (not sure if she exactly fits into this category) can deplete T3 and that she might be better of with her short burst workouts. Here is that article. Why Women Should Not Run

She does not have hashimotos and is not diabetic. Lab tests pending for most recent thyroid panel.

jtrippdc is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all of the tips everyone. She has been upping calories slightly lately and body temp has gone from 96ish to 97ish. In terms of workouts, she does competitive kettle bell lifting + yoga. She also does some cardio. I did send her an article earlier today on how chronic cardio (not sure if she exactly fits into this category) can deplete T3 and that she might be better of with her short burst workouts. Here is that article. http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5...hould-not-run/

She does not have hashimotos and is not diabetic. Lab tests pending for most recent thyroid panel.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have you tested her for fasting insulin levels. May be that her sugars are fine, but it is taking enormous amounts of insulin to maintain them? That would certainly make weight loss almost impossible and could be promoting weight gain.

Also, did you test blood Calcium levels? High levels can be a result of hyperparathyroidism and hair loss can be a symptom. Symptoms of Parathyroid Disease and Hyperparathyroidism: Parathyroid Symptoms: High Calcium, Tiredness, Osteoporosis, Fatigue, Weakness, Lack of Energy, and others...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12