Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lactose intolerance page

Style is offline Member

Lactose intolerance

Primal Fuel
    If you are lactose intolerant, are there are any negative health consequences? I know that there are gas and loose stools, but is there any thing more serious beyond this?

Thanks!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I don't think so. I have never heard that there are.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    When I first became sensitive to dairy, it would make me throw up. It felt kinda like food poisoning. That subsided after a while, and now it's just the typical discomfort and all that other unpleasant stuff. It may depend on your level of intolerance.

Paleobird Guest
    I have a mild level of intolerance. I don't get the digestive issues, just stuffed up sinuses and general puffiness (e.g.bags under the eyes).

This isn't a problem for me if I stick with raw and/or fermented dairy products.

That chronic low level inflammation, while not horribly painful, is probably not doing your body any favors in the long run.

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This isn't a problem for me if I stick with raw and/or fermented dairy products.
    I know that I do much worse with milk and cheese then yogurt and cream.

I've never had raw. Are you saying that people who are lactose intolerant with pasteurized can be just fine with raw?

That chronic low level inflammation, while not horribly painful, is probably not doing your body any favors in the long run.
    Good point.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post
    I know that I do much worse with milk and cheese then yogurt and cream.
    I've never had raw. Are you saying that people who are lactose intolerant with pasteurized can be just fine with raw?
    Yogurt is fermented so most of the lactose is gone. Cream has very little milk solids in it, mostly fat, so it works for a lot of people.

About raw milk. If your problem is with the lactose, then drinking raw milk will fix it. Pasteurization kills the natural enzyme lactaze which is needed to digest lactose that is in milk straight out of the udder. (Lactaze is what is in those pills they have for lactose intolerant people.) If your intolerance problem is with the casein part of milk, however, raw dairy will not fix it.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I have a mild level of intolerance. I don't get the digestive issues, just stuffed up sinuses and general puffiness (e.g.bags under the eyes).

I'd say that is more likely Milk Allergy (Beta Cassein proteins) and not the lactose, which is generally restricted to the GI symptoms, although the allergenic response does aggravate the lactose intolerance, as the body slows digestion in an attempt to break down the beta cassein better, this results in the lactose being retained longer with a higher likelihood of fermentation, hence bloating and gas etc.

This is the whole deal with the A2 vs A1 milk, the A2 beta cassein is more easily broken down, hence reduced likelihood of lactose problems.

I'd say that is more likely Milk Allergy (Beta Cassein proteins) and not the lactose, which is generally restricted to the GI symptoms, although the allergenic response does aggravate the lactose intolerance, as the body slows digestion in an attempt to break down the beta cassein better, this results in the lactose being retained longer with a higher likelihood of fermentation, hence bloating and gas etc.

This is the whole deal with the A2 vs A1 milk, the A2 beta cassein is more easily broken down, hence reduced likelihood of lactose problems.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post

I agree. This is why I do much better with goat milk that cow.

Goats milk also has smaller more easily digested fat particles as well.
    Infact just about any milk is better than cows milk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast