Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virgin Diet: question! page

Style is offline Member

Virgin Diet: question!

Shop Now
    I'm about to do JJ Virgin's 21 day elimination phase, where you cut out the 7 foods that people are most sensitive to. Something like 70% of Americans are sensitive to at least one of these:

Soy
    Corn
    Gluten
    Dairy
    Sugar and artificial sweeteners
    Eggs
    Peanuts

After 21 days, journal-ling how you feel and taking measurables the whole time, one week at a time you introduce the foods back into your diet and see how that effects you. In that manner, you don't have to cut out all 7 for the rest of your life, you just pin it down to the ones that you are sensitive to.

Being an 80/20 paleo guy, most of these should be easy, I just need to go up to 100/0 for 21 days. The ones that will cause me problems are eggs and dairy, as they are a pretty significant part of my diet.

Question: Is there any magic in eliminating all 7 at the same time? What if I did the test on just 6 of them (leaving one of eggs/dairy out)? After I was done with the 6, I could then repeat the test with the remaining food that was originally left out. Would this work just as well? If so, it would be easier for me to pull off, considering the significance of dairy and eggs in my diet.

Thoughts? Thanks!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think the point is that it is harder to figure out what is causing your issues if you have multiple dietary sensitivities. Some of those foods on that list do give similar symptoms. I get joint pain from eating corn, gluten, egg whites (but not egg yolks), and cooked dairy. It took me a long time to figure some of this stuff out.

Style is offline Member
    Also, would beer be considered gluten? Would whey protein be considered dairy? What about honey and syrup, would they be considered sugar?

If I'm going to do this I may as well do it right.

Yes to all.

Paleobird Guest
    I already have 5 out of that 7 permanently out of my life. Just the eggs and the dairy for me.

The thing is, even if you are not specifically "sensitive to" or "intolerant of" the other 5 things, there are good enough reasons to get rid of them already.

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I already have 5 out of that 7 permanently out of my life. Just the eggs and the dairy for me.

The thing is, even if you are not specifically "sensitive to" or "intolerant of" the other 5 things, there are good enough reasons to get rid of them already.
    Oh I hear ya. Regardless of how this experiment goes, none of those five are going to be staples in my diet. I'm just trying to find out if they should not even be in there 20% of the time.

Style is offline Member
    So I started this morning. I'm already finding it challenging to avoid 100% all 7 of these. I grabbed some salsa, but thought I better first check the label. Nope, it has sugar. Grabbed a box of powdered mash potatoes. Nope, it has sugar. Seasoning salt, fricking seasoning salt has sugar in it! Christ!

The next three weeks are going to be very whole-foodsie, apparently.

Zach is offline Banned
    A small amount of sugar will have zero negative effect on anyone. You know what does have a big negative effect? Phobias and eating disorders.
    Last edited by Zach; 04-15-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Personally I think it is important to reach a point where you can ask yourself the question, "Is X bothering me, and if so, should I give it up?" The idea that we should continue to eat things that are likely bothering us indefinitely is not healthy.

Style is offline Member
    OMG, I go to cook some sausage, I fire up the stove, put em in the pan. I wasn't even going to check ingredients. On a whim I did. Contains both whey and sugar. Damn it!

This is going to be HARD. Is there anything processed I can eat these three weeks? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Personally I think it is important to reach a point where you can ask yourself the question, "Is X bothering me, and if so, should I give it up?" The idea that we should continue to eat things that are likely bothering us indefinitely is not healthy.
    Yep, it's definitely worth testing. After the test, for the things that are not bothering me but that are not paleo, I plan to insert them back in under the 80/20 umbrella. 80/20 was working very well for me. I'm just fine tuning now, trying to be the healthiest I can be.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast