Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virgin Diet: question! page 3

upupandaway is offline Senior Member

Style is offline Member
    Another unexpected result: Yesterday I was pretty gassy all day long. I'm lactose intolerant, yet still normally have dairy daily. I thought reduced gas was one thing I could count on over these 3 weeks, but at least so far that is not the case. Granted, we're talking about just the first day here...

Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    I dig your reasoning - reminds me of this: There Is Another Level Above “I’m Doing Fine” - GNOLLS.ORG
    Nice link!

Even if you’re not on prescription medication right now, are you really “fine”?

Do you need caffeine in order to wake up in the morning, or not fall asleep after lunch?
    Do you still suffer from acne? Headaches? Acid reflux?
    How about stiffness and joint pain? Gas and bloating?
    Do you sleep through the night?
    How quickly do you go through that bottle of Tylenol or Aleve? How about the cortisone, to deal with that random itchy, flaky skin?
    Are you convinced that you must continually restrict your eating to maintain a healthy bodyweight—let alone the body composition you want?
    What’s that stuff hanging over the top of your belt? Even if you don’t care about your appearance, imagine how much lighter on your feet you’d feel if you didn’t have to carry around that extra twenty pounds.
    Can you go more than five hours without food, without becoming weak and shaky?
    My answer to at least a few of those is "No." So there is definitely room for this experiment to bear fruit.

Plus, we're talking three weeks here folks. Three weeks where I'm forced to give up processed foods. The HORROR! Yes, I know I'm bitching about the inconvenience, but IMO it's a small price to pay to discover if I'm sensitive to these foods.

Astrogirl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I can't comment on the Virgin plan but I learned pretty quickly that I can't keep any ready-to-eat barcodes in the house (If I'm not hungry enough to chop or heat something perishable then I'm not hungry). Shelf life + refined calories are intertwined on a fundamental level unfortunately.

There's basically no protein option according to her list--the only source not eliminated is meat/seafood. Hopefully you can return to eggs or yogurt soon. Plant protein is the most likely to be allergenic so I'd leave it as a last resort.
    She recommends a pea and/or hemp protein, I think.

Style is offline Member
    Do raisins have sugar? Under ingredients it lists one thing: raisins.

diene is offline Senior Member
    There are people who are allergic/intolerant to regular sugar (sucrose)? Strange.

I've read that most lighter beers do not contain huge amounts of gluten, but they do contain gluten. However, there is such a thing as gluten-free beer.

As for raisins--yes, they contain sugar (fructose). Fruits contain fructose. Pretty much anything that tastes sweet contains some kind of sugar or artificial sweetener (unless it's stevia or that luo han thing, which is also a naturally occurring non-caloric sweetener, like stevia). Whether the cutting out all sugar thing means cutting out things with added sugar only or cutting out anything sweet, including fruits and sweet potatoes, depends on what exactly it is that you're doing. Some people prefer to cut out everything sweet for a while because they believe that such a drastic measure is necessary for them to kick their sugar addiction. However, most of the time when people say they're cutting out sugar, they mean that they're cutting out things with added sugar and sweeteners like honey or maple syrup. They continue to eat fruit and sweet potatoes in moderation.

That said, however, dried fruit is something that many people around here stay away from because (a) they contain a high concentration of fructose and (b) it's really easy to overeat dried fruit. Dried figs and apricots are like crack to me. I think I like them better than chocolate. And they contain a hell of a lot more sugar than, say, 90% cacao dark chocolate.

I'm trying to cut out dairy because I suspect a mild casein allergy. I think I went 2 weeks 100% dairy free but then fell off the wagon. Still, I've already cut out 80% of the dairy, but I don't think an elimination diet would work unless I do it 100% so I'm resolved to eliminate dairy 100% again for the next 30 days. Here we go.
    Last edited by diene; 04-16-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post
    So I started this morning. I'm already finding it challenging to avoid 100% all 7 of these. I grabbed some salsa, but thought I better first check the label. Nope, it has sugar. Grabbed a box of powdered mash potatoes. Nope, it has sugar. Seasoning salt, fricking seasoning salt has sugar in it! Christ!

The next three weeks are going to be very whole-foodsie, apparently.
    You need to go shopping for some new stuff. My salsa doesn't have sugar in it, and it's not fancy. Also, real potatoes beat powdered any day. The seasoning salt is a bit depressing but the tiny amount in that probably won't bother you.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post
    Do raisins have sugar? Under ingredients it lists one thing: raisins.
    Naturally occuring ones, yes. Grapes are a very sugary fruit to start with and the drying process makes that worse. Personally, I only eat raisins as part of my curries. They add a tiny bit of sweetness.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I appreciate your logic, cause when I ate SAD foods I definitely didn't know there was any level above the lethargy/depression I called baseline, but I also think "there's always something better" can be a self-defeating mentality that stops you from appreciating the moment. Nothing wrong with trying the challenge... after a year or two of eating progressively healthier I've basically "perfected" my diet and am focusing on the emotional health issues that keep me from reaching a new and better baseline. I find my body gives me a pretty good indication of which things it doesn't want me to eat--tomatoes and bell peppers give me hives, balsamic vinegar makes me want to throw up, black tea and coffee give me the shakes... Good luck to you though!

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    You need to go shopping for some new stuff. My salsa doesn't have sugar in it, and it's not fancy. Also, real potatoes beat powdered any day. The seasoning salt is a bit depressing but the tiny amount in that probably won't bother you.
    Yeah, no kidding. If there is one thing I'm learning from this experiment it is READ LABELS. Holy cow, I have cauliflower in my freezer. I was about to eat some today, but read the label: "Contains milk and wheat." We're talking cauliflower here!!! WTF?!?!

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrogirl View Post
    She recommends a pea and/or hemp protein, I think.
    Thanks for the heads up! I did a search and found this:

Amazon.com: Jarrow Formulas Optimal Plant Proteins, 19 oz (540 Grams): Health & Personal Care

Just ordered some.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast