Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virgin Diet: question! page 2

Style is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just checked some biryani in the freezer. You guessed it, sugar.

Question: What can I use to add a little protein to my smoothies? I usually use whey protein powder, eggs, sunbutter, peanut butter, or yogurt. Those are all off the table, as the sunbutter contains "evaporated cane juice." Apparently NOTHING processed can be trusted! Even sunbutter!

At any rate, any ideas for my smoothies? Thanks!

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post
    Just checked some biryani in the freezer. You guessed it, sugar.

Question: What can I use to add a little protein to my smoothies? I usually use whey protein powder, eggs, sunbutter, peanut butter, or yogurt. Those are all off the table, as the sunbutter contains "evaporated cane juice." Apparently NOTHING processed can be trusted! Even sunbutter!

I can't comment on the Virgin plan but I learned pretty quickly that I can't keep any ready-to-eat barcodes in the house (If I'm not hungry enough to chop or heat something perishable then I'm not hungry). Shelf life + refined calories are intertwined on a fundamental level unfortunately.

There's basically no protein option according to her list--the only source not eliminated is meat/seafood. Hopefully you can return to eggs or yogurt soon. Plant protein is the most likely to be allergenic so I'd leave it as a last resort.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

Cooked chicken breast?

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I can't comment on the Virgin plan but I learned pretty quickly that I can't keep any ready-to-eat barcodes in the house (If I'm not hungry enough to chop or heat something perishable then I'm not hungry). Shelf life + refined calories are intertwined on a fundamental level unfortunately.
    Ugg. JERF, I guess.

One thing you can do is prepare meals ahead of time. Last night I baked a batch of paleo breakfast bars which should last me through the week...

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Cooked chicken breast?
    Yeah, that's one option.

I did find this: vegan protein | vegan protein powder

At $1.16 per serving plus shipping that seems kind of pricey. I wonder if I could find that at a local health food store?

Hmm, just reading further about that potato protein:

"potato protein isolate contains no soy and / or soy lecithin and has a much higher biological value than rice or pea. In fact potato protein has a higher biological value than casein, more BCAA’s than whey protein, and overall contains more essential amino acids than any other protein powder. "

That sounds like it may be better than whey. Hmmmm.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I consider the Virgin Diet to be a very inconvenient way to pinpoint food allergies and intolerances. You can do that via bloodwork at a doctor's office, then know exactly what to cut out.

I have read her book, and she says something like "If you have a food allergy, you would know it." Um, wrong. Mild to moderate food allergies are very difficult to pinpoint, and mimic the symptoms of intolerances. Her method of elimination and re-introduction probably works, but why bother?

Try going 100% Primal for a few weeks. Keep the eggs. Go get some food allergy tests, if your stomach is still bothering you.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, that's one option.

I did find this: vegan protein | vegan protein powder

At $1.16 per serving plus shipping that seems kind of pricey. I wonder if I could find that at a local health food store?

Hmm, just reading further about that potato protein:

"potato protein isolate contains no soy and / or soy lecithin and has a much higher biological value than rice or pea. In fact potato protein has a higher biological value than casein, more BCAA’s than whey protein, and overall contains more essential amino acids than any other protein powder. "

That sounds like it may be better than whey. Hmmmm.
    That looks interesting. If I was a person who preferred protein powder to animal flesh, I'd consider buying that.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    80/20 was working very well for me. I'm just fine tuning now, trying to be the healthiest I can be.
    Honestly, there might not be any point in doing this for you. It sounds like your only problem is that you can't give up pursuing the idea of 'perfect' health... If you don't feel bad as is, then why change things, if all you'll feel then is deprived?

I personally think everyone would be better off without dairy (cow's milk is for baby cows), but why give up eggs if they don't disagree with you? Why give up beer if one or two of them helps you unwind after a long day? There's more to being healthy than just eating right--at some point you have to accept that, hey, you've arrived. You don't need another fad diet challenge. I think what you're seeing here is you'd be better off without processed foods, and hey, don't we all know that on some level? Sure, if you were having allergy symptoms, this allergen-free month might be of use, but you're not, you're talking about embarking on 21 days of deprivation for no real reason... Maybe just forego the Virgin challenge and pay closer attention to labels of things you buy--I have definitely seen sun butters without added sugar, for example--and skip the unnecessary elimination of things that haven't given you any problems.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Question: Is there any magic in eliminating all 7 at the same time? What if I did the test on just 6 of them (leaving one of eggs/dairy out)? After I was done with the 6, I could then repeat the test with the remaining food that was originally left out. Would this work just as well? If so, it would be easier for me to pull off, considering the significance of dairy and eggs in my diet.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    The only magic is if you where doing an elimination diet. These are the most common food allergies/problematic items. If you are particularly sensitive to any of them you may have leaky gut which could lead you to further sensitivities. Should this be the case you would need to remove all sensitivities for a period of time, and then you could begin the re-introduction phase one food item at a time.... likely starting with eggs and ending with gluten.

Style is offline Member
    I've been at my target weight for a year now, and I rarely fluctuate outside of 150-152 lbs. I went on vacation a couple weeks ago and was eating out basically every meal. I was definitely not 80/20 on this trip, at best 50/50. When I came home and weighed myself I was 152.

So yesterday was my first day eliminating these foods. I woke up this morning, weighed myself, and I was 153! Now that is unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    Honestly, there might not be any point in doing this for you. It sounds like your only problem is that you can't give up pursuing the idea of 'perfect' health... If you don't feel bad as is, then why change things, if all you'll feel then is deprived?
    Not feeling bad is relative. Since I was old enough to not eat baby food, have I ever gone more then a day or two without eating gluten, corn, dairy, or sugar? Since going primal, have I gone more than a day or two without eggs? To both of these questions, probably no.

One of the ideas behind the Virgin challenge is you may not even realize you're feeling bad. Your baseline to compare everything against is one in which your body is having to deal with these allergens on a daily basis. MANY have gone through this process and come out the other side saying "I had no idea I wasn't feeling well. I didn't even realize I had pain in my joints. That was just normal for me. I didn't know what I was missing. etc, etc"

If I come out the other side of this and discover I don't have an issue with any of these (which I know is not true about dairy, at least), then at a minimum I've gained piece of mind.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast