Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Self Sabotaging page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It's also true that bad habits often go back to earlier programming we learned. It's not our fault for not recognizing what is going on. Certainly when we acquired unproductive habits we were doing the best we could have done at the time.

So if your mother (as mine did) piled up your plate and forced you to eat it all, hungry or not, you were rewarded and called a good girl. You were encouraged to feel proud. If you didn't clean your plate, this was shameful. But then there's always a little voice telling me not to waste that food, encouraging me to eat when I'm not hungry, even though it won't help the starving children of India any more than it did when my mother used to say that to me.

There weren't really any other coping strategies when you're a vulnerable kid. These are hard habits to break, even if we are aware of them.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuhiko the Rolfer View Post
    the compliments should serve as motivation to stay on track as the plan is clearly working!
    Okay, this kind of response just isn't helpful.
    You can't just tell someone how the should feel about and react to compliments if that person has l already stated that they feel/react a different way! There's a lot to the psychology of it.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s-piper View Post
    Okay, this kind of response just isn't helpful.
    You can't just tell someone how the should feel about and react to compliments if that person has l already stated that they feel/react a different way! There's a lot to the psychology of it.
    it's called a reframe and I am a Master Practitioner in both Hypnotherapy and NLP and a both a weight management coach and a Physical Therapist with over 25 years experience in treating patients with all manner of issues - think I might have a few insights worth sharing

I was subtly trying to get the OP to think about the moment they receive a compliment

but as with most Americans everything has to be spelled out in letters as large as a building for the message to sink

Think I will leave you all to it, there was that other one whining that she didn't get serious replies when her first ever post was about how much sex she's getting

Yanks, sheesh

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuhiko the Rolfer View Post
    it's called a reframe and I am a Master Practitioner in both Hypnotherapy and NLP and a both a weight management coach and a Physical Therapist with over 25 years experience in treating patients with all manner of issues - think I might have a few insights worth sharing
    Fair enough. Though using the word "should" also implied judgment.

but as with most Americans everything has to be spelled out in letters as large as a building for the message to sink
    LOL! Funny.
    Btw, I've held dual-citizenship since birth.

yogi19270 is offline Junior Member
    Thankyou all for taking the time to read and comment. This is my first time at going primal so its all very new to me today but i think i did make a step forward today!!
    I have had compliments about my body changing shape/losing weight the last two days. Friday night was my first and i admitted that i hadn't been on the scales but yes i feel things are changing, straight after that i said to myself in my head "im doing this for my health" then changed the subject.
    My husband commented on me this morning to the point of saying what parts of my body, i said thankyou and again, took my dog for a run and during that time my head started playing games, i actually even started thinking about how i could lose more (that is one of my biggest things to overcome) but something in my head snapped and i thought "im doing this for my health" "if i get weight loss as a side effect of my better health GREAT!" and i left it at that.
    Thats a huge shift for me, i really believed it and that little voice in my head shut up!! Today we spent a day in the hot pools with the kids (in togs!!) and i felt ok, not as embarrassed as i normally would, my head will still play games from time to time but i feel ive got one step closer to closing the chapter on self sabotage.
    I feel proud of myself, i am in week 3, and for the first time in 25 years food no longer controls me, i control what i eat and when.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi19270 View Post
    Hi i really struggle with this topic! I cruise along doing really well and then someone says how great i look and that im losing weight and suddenly BANG!! Its almost like a green light to eat something naughty! Just wondering if anyone else has come across this, if so have your dealt with it and how. This stops me from meeting my goals, i get frustrated with myself and do the whole guilt thing.
    Any suggestions would be greatly received!
    Cheers
    Just wrote an article on this. Have you read The War of Art?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123