Thread: Crazy pms appetie, help! page

Waterlily is offline Senior Member

Crazy pms appetie, help!

Shop Now
    I'm a bottomless pit. I ate twice the calories for the 4 days before my period. I have never been this hungry before on pms (before going paleo). I gained 4 lbs in 4 days...

Just read about potatoes curbing hunger, tried it and for the first time feeling some releif from hunger. I CRAVE grains! Seems like only grains could fill me up. Potatoes seem to be a close second. Any tips?

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Thanks Kelda!

I read through a few pages, it's very interesting.

Update: The potatoes are a life saver! I ate a couple yesterday and I finally had relief from hunger. I also lost 1.5 lbs over night from the 4 lbs I put on from my crazy eating. I think I will up my carbs overall. I was under 50 gr for a month and didn't experience that 'I have so much energy on primal' everyone is talking about. So far, you gals have helped me find out about magnesium for some relief from cramps and potatoes for calming down hunger attacks due to pms. Thanks!

As an experiment, I got Krill oil, 5HTP and vit E to try and alleviate the pain even more. Will see next month.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Shoot for under 120 g in the second half of your cycle and see, under 50 is very low for a lot of females. I eat sweet potatoes when I want to up the carbs a bit rather than potatoes from the nightshade family.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

ombat is offline Senior Member
    If you take a look around the forum you'll see that this monstrous, menstrual appetite is pretty common.

Personally, in the week before my period I could eat 3-4 pounds of sweet potatoes per day without batting an eye. Anything primal is fair game though, so although I almost never get sugar cravings, if a jar of honey happens to catch my eye it goes straight down the hatchet. I gain as well, but it's pretty obviously bloat / water retention.

This all makes sense to me though because I completely lost my period on zero carb and didn't regain it until I started eating tubers. So craving such foods during my TOM seems pretty intuitive. I'm torn between wanting to experiment with higher fat during these times in an attempt to curb cravings and minimize the bloat / discomfort or to just let it happen since it seems to be what my body wants.

Great information Kelda! And I do also suggest sweet potatoes over nightshade potatoes.
    Last edited by ombat; 04-14-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks everyone! You make me feel normal again.
    I see I'm not a strange one of kind monster...!

Cierra, I induldge in ice cream too, but it's kind of primal since it's made of coconut milk and agave nectar wich doesn't make your sugars go up as much as white sugar. The brand is Coconut Bliss. It's delicious! I also had Organic 90% cacao chocolate covered almonds. I had a lot of sweet potatoes baked in bacon fat and salt, OMG the goodness! They DO NOT curb my hunger. The only thing that worked was the white potatoes.

Try Magnesium malate for cramps, it helps. Not as powerfull as Advils but still usefull and not as harmfull for your body.

VADogWalker is offline Member
    I am SO glad this thread popped up. I'm a week until my TOM and OMG I could eat the couch right now. The hormonal eating makes me crazy, and I hate that "bottomless pit" feeling, and nothing seems to curb it. I'm going to try the potatoes thing, too. Upping my fats NEVER helps.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I have two days before TOM where I feel like I'm constantly hungry. I tend to just go with it and eat - but keep it clean. Sweet potatoes are an obvious choice for me too, as I'm generally VLC. I generally retain quite a lot of water in the week or so before in any case, then gradually lose it afterwards so I've never really noticed any weight gain from two days of increased eating...plus my fat loss is very slow.

You can't argue with mother nature, so if you're hungry go eat! :-)