Thread: I really want to do this...but can I wean from the sugar?!! page

Pudsey is offline Junior Member

I really want to do this...but can I wean from the sugar?!!

Hi,

I have perused this topic looking at various websites for a while and am really wanting to change and adapt my lifestyle as I know it will benefit me and my family long term. So much makes so much sense, it excites me but I wonder if I can dig up enough willpower, which i am ashamed to admit, I lack!!

A little background which some of you lovely like minded people may be able to advise me on.

I am not grossly overweight, probably could do with shifting 10 lbs but I want to feel healthy and experience the vibrancy that many of you are enjoying. I try to excercise but currently, have Rice Krispies in both my knees causing pain on excercising, including walking so feel sluggish....just to note, I am a very young 40..I suspect the knees are due to the years of step aerobics and being a bit knock knee'd

I work shifts rotating between 12 hour days and nights. I drink the dreaded diet drinks through the night to keep me 'awake' and when I get up, from not enough sleep, I just want to eat the rubbish in the cupboards where on any given day, at work or not, I don't eat anything until midday.

I know I have a sugar and butter addiction, especially when on top of cakes although the majority of times I can refrain but not always, but admittedly if its there, I would nibble and then persuade myself I haven't eaten very much all day...

I have lots of questions which I am sure this fabulous site and its great contributors will give me guidance upon but the main one is how and when to start and if to completely withdraw from the sugar and aspartame!

Thanks

Debbie

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Hi Debbie not to say that there is only one way to achieve paleo "habits" but what was very successful for me was doing it in weekly stages so for e.g.

Week 1 cut out sugar
    Week 2 cut out bread
    Week 3 cut out all grains - cereals pasta etc
    Week 4 cut other processed foods/chemicals/sweeteners etc

This gives you time to focus on learning as well. By the end of a month I no longer had any packaged foods in my kitChen and it was an amazing thing to have a flow of fresh ingredients with nothing else taking up the space.

Anyway good luck - if you succeed you 'll not look back!

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Plus you can keep the butter just not the sugar !

Ahh...thank you Owen. What you have suggested is probably manageable if not on night shift!! Nights are my biggest challenge, it gets to 3 am and I want to hit the sugar and crap carbs as a comfort/reward!!! I have read peppermint tea can maybe counteract the cravings...maybe I need to give it a go.

Thanks again

Debbie

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Owen has good advice here...baby steps!

I have been eating a lazy form of paleo...minimal grains were easy to maintain as my family is gluten intolerant, however I have a HUGE sweet tooth.
    You will find, as you start to make changes that the more you limit sugar the less you will crave it. The more good solid nutrition you feed your body the better you will feel. Your constant snacking/eating empty calorie foods is simply your body's way of telling you it needs better nutrition.

For the last year I have had to indulge in an afternoon treat after lunch, a small scoop of ice cream, a little candy, cupcake whatever... (Was also hitting Starbucks for pick me ups) for the last 4-5 weeks I just quit cold turkey. Now I barely feel the need, if I do a couple pieces of dried coconut do the job. I feel awesome, more energy than ever!
    You can do it!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dacec View Post
    You will find, as you start to make changes that the more you limit sugar the less you will crave it. The more good solid nutrition you feed your body the better you will feel.
    Welcome Debbie, you can do this. Primal eating is the greatest way I have of treating myself. Try to stay stocked up with healthy options so that when you're hungry there's no need to grab for junk. If you have control to get rid of the junk from the house, even better. Cook enough so there's leftovers to take to work. Good luck.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudsey View Post
    Ahh...thank you Owen. What you have suggested is probably manageable if not on night shift!! Nights are my biggest challenge, it gets to 3 am and I want to hit the sugar and crap carbs as a comfort/reward!!! I have read peppermint tea can maybe counteract the cravings...maybe I need to give it a go.

Thanks again

Debbie

Munch on coconut when you crave, it is the fastest acting and will help you get over the craving and give you energy

If you have a fridge or somewhere in your workplace to keep it, a block of creamed coconut is convenient, just carve off a chunk and munch away. A coffee with lots of cream (double, extra thick, grass fed if you can but don't worry if not, the goal is to get off sugar and grains)

Jump right in is my advice, sooner you get away from grains, sugar and all that sooner you become a fat burner

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    When you feel the need for those treats at 3 am first have some protein and then if you still need something else try having something primalish like dark chocolate and almond butter. I agree with Owen don't give up the butter. It's okay to postpone the exercise work on the food first.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. Definitely great advice and I think taking stock each day and night is the way to do it.

Thank you again

Debbie x

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Debbie don't think of it as "cutting out all sugar" just think of it as "cutting out all bad sugar."

The kind of sugars that I see as 'acceptable' around here are...
    -Honey
    -Agave Nectar (organic only?)
    -Dark chocolate
    -Coconut sugar

Try switching to those sugars, and just avoid the refined sugar cubes and such.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.