Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kittens! Not exactly primal related, but I could use advice! page 2

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

Based on what you have all told me, when the time comes I will definitely be adopting two littermates, it seems like the best option by far, plus I get to save two little lives instead of one

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Well I've had a few experiences with cats, and I've learned that cats are like people - in other words, a particular cat will like one cat but not another. Some will get along with all cats, and some will shun the vast majority of the feline race.

Littermates may work well together (I've never had had littermates though, although my sister has...hmm though, she had two males and one female, and the female really didn't get along with her brothers when they got older, and she ran off and moved in with the neighbours!).

At the moment I have four cats... the oldest is 10, the others are 3, 2 and 2. The oldest HATES the youngest with a passion of fiery hatred... he tolerates the other two. He used to be good mates with an older cat we had (who died) and was also best buds with a rabbit (who also sadly died). The 3 year old girl gets along well with the youngest (also female), but she gets along with most cats. The third cat is male, and weird... he's just... a really odd cat! He seems to get along reasonably with the others, but doesn't seem to be great friends with any. He tries to make good friends with the older male, who really just tolerates him (but doesn't hate him like he does the youngest female).

I did once get two kittens of pretty much the same age (not littermates) and they used to get along okay, although they grew up to have very different personalities... and when I adopted a third cat, one of them ended up making good friends with him, and the other just started keeping herself to herself more. For that matter, she was always more a people cat than a cat cat... However, she never actively hated the other kitty she was raised with... they just sort of grew apart!

Paleobird Guest
    And we do expect cute kittty pics once you get them home.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    YES! Get two! Unless you're adopting an adult cat that has proven to prefer the solo life.

And don't overlook the adult cats at the shelter. They needs homes too and are often last to go. With adults, you can see their true personalities up front. And if you adopt from a shelter with a communal cat room, you can find a pair that already know each other and get along. Kittens are a pain in the ass IMO.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    I would get two if possible. My friend found a very small kitten out by itself with nothing and no one around and brought it home. He actually treats her like she is a litter mate. He jumps on her and bites ALL THE TIME. Its just for play, but he needs another kitten to play fight with. He never had that becuase he was hardly old enough to be away from his mother. It has really gotten out of control and if she had another kitten he would direct that energy there instead. She has a much older cat that hates him because he is always trying to play with her. I was in the house for 5 minutes before he jumped on my back and climbed me. I also agree that kittens are a pain in the ass, but I love them so much.

I have 3 cats and two of them decided they were going to live with me when they were full grown. The female ended up being pregnant so I kept one of the male kittens from the litter and had the rest adopted. She hates him to this day. I guess its like a kid that grows up and never leaves home. LOL

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I have two "kittens" (they will be 8 years old in a few days!) that are littermates, and they're AWESOME

I got them around 4-5 weeks when they fit in my hand (if you're looking at kittens that are still with mom, get them a little later than that so they can wean properly... my guys lost their mom around 2 weeks old - either something happened to her or they were abandoned, and I still get suckled by the male because he wasn't weaned properly and I'm "mom") - We thought they were both boys, but it turns out I got the only girl in the litter, so one of each.

When they were wee little kittens, they shared everything - as much as they kept each other out of trouble, when they DID get into trouble, it was together, and therefore twice the trouble
    Nowadays, they're best friends, playmates, nap buddies, worst enemies, sex-play partners... all rolled into one.

I had a really cool vet who usually only charged me for one appointment when they could (when they use 2 doses of medicine they have to charge for it, for example, but if it's just an office visit fee, they can charge for 1 instead of 2), but I moved out of that neighborhood... Since they're indoor cats that are generally healthy, they don't go to the vet anymore unless there's a problem, and in that case, they go see a friend/client of mine who's a very good vet and offered to take care of them anytime they need a vet. She's a veggie, but totally a non-judgy one, and very on-board with most of the health concepts I've discussed with her - very unCW for a vet!
    I did get them both fixed around 6 months - I was literally on the phone scheduling the appointments and I caught him humping her... which led me to schedule him for the next available until waiting for when they could go in together!

As for food - I fed them wet and dry food as kittens, plus kitten milk replacement.
    I read in a very CW cat book that if they learn to eat dry food as kittens, they'll automatically drink water with it, because kittens go by intuition... if, as an adult, they haven't eaten dry food and are offered such, they might not drink water (which is essentially needed with dry food because it's so... well... dry.), and that can cause clogs in the piping. So my reasoning was "I should get these young'n's trained to eat kibble with water, even if that's not the ultimate plan.... good thought, but...

These days they eat all wet food - about 5-7oz twice a day (that's one of the XL cans per day, so, basically a $2.69/day cost for feeding both kitties basic food) - they've always eaten off the same plate - we try to separate into two portions and put them on either side of the plate so nobody hogs all the food.
    I always get a grain-free brand, like wellness or innova evo (they LOVE the duck and venison flavors, but we don't often buy them because they are pricey), they get dehydrated wild salmon or beef liver (no other ingredients) as a treat, and sometimes table or kitchen scraps (meat/veggies)... oh, and sometimes we play a hunting game with Greenies, which have a lot of crap in them, but even with that, my cats eat way better than 80/20
    We made a tradition of having the Merrick "Thanksgiving Dinner" or "Turducken" flavor on Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, 'cause you know, cats totally care about holidays and all...

I'd love to start feeding them all raw - I've had my eye on the wellness meats petburger (also because I want to eat it myself, but shhhhh!), and there's some website that offers rabbit for pets... they love a good raw bone to chew on, so... yeah

If I ever HAD to feed them kibble again, I'd go with one of the grain free brands - wellness core or innova evo...
    And if I ever find the need for kitten milk again... I'll definitely go with the more expensive one (KMR brand vs. Friskies/Purina), which has a LOT less junk in it.

Toys: they have different "favorites," but they both love chasing things on a string, and they both use the same scratching post - If you have a good relationship with your pet store, you might get a freebie every now and then (for awhile I got 2 free mousies every time I picked up my 2 weeks' worth of food), but until you figure out what makes each kitty tick, get a variety pack of toys - you'll get an idea.
    These have been a big hit: the crinkly foil balls, rattly mousies (made with rabbit fur or something, I think - girlcat LOVES these, she will actually play fetch), a squeaky rubber chicken (boycat rabbit kicks it when he gets grumpy), a simple red pompom (boycat likes anything red. I don't know.), a remote control mouse, a stick with various attachments on strings - mice, flies, etc., peacock feathers, pig ears/cow tendons (these are dog toys, but my kittos love 'em)

Carriers - I had a hard-sided one that they used TOGETHER when they were kittens, but it is heavy and awkward to carry (especially since, it turns out, they're part Maine Coone, and weigh 15lbs EACH now), I got an airline approved-carrier which I liked A LOT better (since I needed a second carrier), and then got a second one when the budget allowed. GET THEM USED TO GOING PLACES WHILE THEY'RE KITTENS (sorry to shout, it's important). I take them outside on leashes, on the subway/train/in cars in their carriers, and I've also taken the boycat out in a sling (on a leash as well, of course).

I'd recommend reading "The New Natural Cat" by Anitra Frazier - take it with a grain of salt (I don't do everything in the book, that's for sure), but it's a good general guide to having a healthy cat that lives a long time.

GOOD LUCK, and let us know how it goes!

catpaws is offline Junior Member
    Fancy Feast classics (must be the classic) have decent ingredients, no grains, fruits or veggies. My cats eat Turkey and Giblets flavor.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    I adopted 2yr old Male brothers (Jack and Fidget). They are awesome. Jack is the laid back, lazy cat who will sleep on your bed or lie next to you on the couch but not on your lap. Fidget is a little more nervous, but more affectionate and will jump up for a cuddle on your lap. Fidget is the more territorial cat and is a fearsome fighter with the Tom Cat who comes into our yard.

Every once and a while one of them will tuck himself in a corner and ambush the other as they are walking past - there is alot of hissing that goes on, and much hilariousness but its over straight away.

Every once in a while they will sit together on the couch and wash each other - very cute, but they are definite companions and I think they would be lonely without each other.

They have obviously grown up together as I got them when they were 2 - and it has been a successful adoption, so don't rule out Adult siblings..

the-wren is offline Junior Member
    My best advice is that you adopt from a place that has their animals up to date on all of their vaccinations and that they have had full blood work on them, so that you're aware of anything abnormal (FIV, Coronavirus, etc). I believe that adopting two cats, especially if they are kittens, is a good idea because they can interact with their own kind and have a playmate when you're busy. Some adult cats prefer to be the only cat and they make good pets also. I previously adopted a two year old and a seven year old cat together and they tolerated each other, but generally kittens get along well with each other better. My cat is fed a dry food called Merrick Before Grain, sometimes a bit of raw fish and occasionally the best wet cat food we can find. I think she eats better than I do!

I unfortunately had to deal with a tragedy because I was not careful about where I decided to adopt my kittens, a brother and sister of the same litter. The first year was fine, but the brother began getting very sick and lost an alarming amount of weight. After taking him to the vet and doing extensive blood work we found out that he had Coronavirus and since he shared a litter box with his sister, so did she. Long story short, the brother ended up dying just shy of being two years old from Feline infectious peritonitis, which is a terminal illness and mutation of the Coronavirus. After spending a ridiculous amount of money to be sure that this is what he had (it is quite rare and impossible to be sure of until after death) we made him comfortable and eventually had to put him to sleep this January when he could no longer go on.

His sister is now very bored, she wants a lot of attention, and she is very lonely. The first month after her brother's death she would crawl under the covers between me and my boyfriend for comfort. We will be adopting another male cat for her to play with, but I am still mourning the loss of her dear brother.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I adopted two kittens at the same time. They were not litter mates, however, since they were both young kittens they grew very accustomed to eachother.

They played with eachother and groomed eachother, slept in the same little cat bed, just as real litter mates would. I would consider them adoptive litter mates.

The benefits are they they have eachother; from experience, a single cat will get bored and subsequently tear up more furniture (or otherwise cause a scene). Two cats will play, or argue, with eachother. Furniture is usually left alone with two, I would say.

As per what I feed my cats, it's a 3-way combination:
    -Taste of the Wild grain free dry food
    -Taste of the Wild grain free canned 'wet' food
    -Nature's Variety 'Instinct Raw' frozen raw cat food (I buy the chicken variety because it's cheapest).

These are very high quality cat foods that can only be found at feed stores or 'natural' pet food stores. Don't expect to find this at your local Kroger or Petco. You can also order these brands from Amazon.com.

When I switched my cats to a grain-free "primal cat" diet, my chunky food loving pig of a cat lost 3 pounds. He went from 13 pounds to 10 pounds. He is now very lean. 3 pounds is a LOT for a cat.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast