Thread: Apple and sage pork chops. page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Apple and sage pork chops.

Shop Now
    One of my favourites - a one pot dish with lots of flavour.

Heat the oven to around 160C

You will need one large pork chop for each person eating - if it is fatty, so much the better! Take an equal weight of onions to pork and chop them coarsely. And take half the weight of crisp, sweet / sharp eating apples to the weight of pork ; core but don't peel, and chop into chunks. Bottle of organic dry cider, large sprig or two of sage, salt and pepper.

Place the sage on the bottom of a casserole which has a lid, it needs to be large enough for the chops to sit in a single layer, then place the chops on top of the sage. Push the onion and apple into the gaps around the chops and any other pieces of apple / onion in a layer over the chops. Season liberally with salt and pepper, JUST cover with the cider and bring gently to a simmer, then cover with the lid and place in a medium oven for about an hour and half.

The fat will have melted and mixed with the onions and apple to make a sauce while the meat will be meltingly tender and well flavoured. Serve with veg of choice - which in my case always includes mashed potatoes!

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    Sounds divine! I absolutely love fresh sage with pork.
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Kool is offline Senior Member
    pictures if possible?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Wow, you just took one of my favorite flavor combos and made a one pot meal out of it! I could kiss you.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I did this yesterday, and the pork chops had the kidneys attached. Super yummy!