Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elite soccer player page

MagnusLundstedt is offline Junior Member

Elite soccer player

Primal Fuel
    Hey all of you...

i´m a 21 year old pro soccer player from sweden, with gluten-milk allergy and candida-parasites in system, just read the primal blueprint and wonder who would to guys have done in my situation with nutrtition...

Train 10 times a week/ 2 hours each pass + a game of weekend..

Breakfast?
    Training 2 hours
    Post-workout food?
    Lunch?
    Snack?
    Dinner?
    Training 2 hours
    Post-workout food?
    Evening food

Forgott ...

Right now i´m eating

Breakfast: Buckwheat porridge with water and 1 egg
    Training 2 hours
    Post-workout food: Brendan Brazier Vega whole food health optimizer
    Lunch:Quinoa or Brown rice, with meat, and greens
    Snack: Almonds
    Dinner:Quinoa or Brown rice, with meat, and greens
    Pre workout: Brendan brazier sport optimizer
    Training 2 hours
    Post-workout food:Brendan Brazier Vega whole food health optimizer
    Evening food: Buckwheat porridge with water and 1 egg

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Hi there,
    My daughter has the same allergies as you do and also had candida. Living PB is really a god send for her. She has to eat CF/GF if she wants any quality of life. She healed her candida by cutting all sugar and taking oregano oil.

I am thinking all that rice and buckwheat are not going to help your candida. I know you need carbs because of your training. Maybe try going a bit more primal (like sweet potato) and adding a lot more fat to your diet.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    First of all: Welcome!
    Second of all: I always dreamed of being a pro soccer player, you're living my dream so I hope you're enjoying it! I'm not going to ask who you are, but will you be involved with the Swedish national team for the world cup? I have family in Gotteburg (not sure if I spelled right) and Stockholm.

Now, brown rice has no place in the Primal lifestyle, no grains at all do. I would suggest, like Zophie said to use carbs from sweet potatoes to fuel your workouts.

How about instead of brown rice just add more greens and a side of avocado for good fats? or cook your greens/meats with fat from coconut oil, bacon, lard, tallow? It's a hard thinking style to get into (eating fat) but it definitely helps.

At this point I have to bow out because I'm not qualified to give further nutritional advice to somebody who is as active as you are. I hope someone else will chime in because I'm very interested.

I think you will be told you exercise too much but your goal is not weight loss so you might be okay, and being a professional it's not an option for you to exercise any less. Best of luck!

Hey, it my biggest dream two, but its hasent be fun because of all problem with my body, no enjoyment so far, cant train fullout maybe 75% only... has been in the national teen until 19 years old..but right now i just focus to find a diet so i can live with quality..

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusLundstedt View Post
    with gluten-milk allergy and candida-parasites in system, just read the primal blueprint and wonder who would to guys have done in my situation with nutrtition...
    )
    The candida should be viewed as a weakness of your immune function rather than a problem with an organism. Optimize vitamin D and zinc and the candida will come under control. Probiotics and fermented foods are important but they won't take care of it on their own. The D and zinc are critical to improve immune function.

You might even find your dairy issues resolve with the above support....I did.....

Chances are you need at least 5,000 IU D3per day (125 mcg). More specifically - most tend to need around 1000 IU (25 mcg) D3 per 25 lbs (10-12 kg) body weight per day **from food and supplements**. The fatty fish that are a traditional part of scandinavian diets supply a significant amount of D.

I'd imagine that testing your D levels w/in your health care system is not an option. There's an ongoing worldwide D study - details can be found at grassrootshealth.net The test is a home test, finger-stick, very easy, and extremely accurate and precise.

At what latitude do you live and train?
    Indoors or out?
    How much time is spent further south?
    If you take cod liver oil - how much A and D does it supply? in what dose?

As an elite athlete, you zinc and b vitamin needs are very very high - what kind of meat are you eating? how much? are you taking a multivitamin or any other supplements?

Any organ meats?
    Last edited by cillakat; 05-08-2010 at 09:40 AM.

oh, and here's this:
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AV...A0d3BjMw&hl=en
    Vitamin D Dosing and Levels

nmoL - units used to measure D most places in the world
    ng/mL - units used in the US

** Please be sure to pay attention to the units given on your lab report.
    ** Quest Labs -problems remain: at this point in time, it still appears that 25(OH)D
    results from Quest need to be divided by 1.3. to obtain results normed to the gold standard.
    See vitamindcouncil.org, grassrootshealth.net for further information.

What should my vitamin D level be?
    see below for information on various vitamin D levels........

❍ 32 ng/mL (80 nmoL) is the bottom of the current reference range. Still
    leaves us in a state of substrate starvation which isn't good. And if Quest** did
    your test - see note above - you need to divide by 1.3

❍ 40 ng/mL (100 nmoL) the minimum recommended by currently by
    any major D researcher (see grassrootshealth.net).

❍ 50 ng/mL (125 nmoL) is the point at which we have sufficient substrate
    for managing calcium levels and have additional to use for other necessary
    physiological functions - including gene expression (300+ other functions in our bodies)

❍ 60-65 ng/mL (150-162.5 nmoL) is reasonable number for which to aim.
    It's the 'middle of the current reference range for the major US labs. European
    and canadian labs are behind the times on this one and are still generally using
    a much lower range.

❍ 80 ng/mL (200 nmoL) is a target number for some researchers and is still
    within the range of a physiological range of what we could achieve from sun -
    ie a physiologically appropriate level.

❍ 100 ng/mL (250 nmoL) is a typical serum level of 25(OH)D obtained by lifeguards,
    in South Florida, from sun only, implying that this is a very physiologically normal -
    possibly optimal? - number for which to aim.

❍ 200 ng/mL (500 nmoL) is the lowest blood level of 25(OH)D at which there
    has been documented D toxicity. There has never been a case reported at levels
    lower than that.

☑ 1000 IU (25 mcg) per 25 lbs body weight per day is a very reasonable dose of
    D3 for someone who
    → works indoors midday
    → wears clothes midday
    → avoids sun midday
    → wears any sunscreen midday

☑ 10,000 IU-50,000 IU vitamin D3 is produced in the skin upon full body exposure
    to sunlight......with the average of the studies being about 20,000 IU. However,
    do not take more than 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight per day without periodic
    testing of 25(OH)D levels.

☑ Don't be afraid to take as much D3 as is required to raise your serum 25(OH)D to
    50-100 ng/mL (125 nmoL to 250 nmoL) There is a 25-50% variation in serum
    vitamin d levels at 'x' amount of supplementation rate due to genetic variations
    in vitamin d binding protein.

☑ Early AM and later afternoon sun exposure on face, hands and arms is not sufficient
    to raise vitamin D levels or maintain optimal vitamin D levels.

☑ Fall, Winter and Spring sun exposure is not generally sufficient to raise viamin D levels
    or to maintain optimal D levels.

☑ A tan does not necessarily indicate sufficient vitamin D levels. It's easy to tan from UVA
    without getting sufficient UVB to raise D levels.

☑ A person (tan or not) who's been getting
    →midday
    →unprotected
    →summer exposure
    →on most body skin
    to the point just before a burn occurs, may have optimal D levels during the summer.

☑ The Vitamin D Council (vitamindcouncil.org) has all of the D research, reference cites
    and links to peer reviewed journal articles that you'd ever want to read, plus several thousand extra

☑ Grassrootshealth.org has a tremendous amount of good information as well.

☑ Stanford and other major D research centers have podcasts in iTunes that are excellent resources.

Just looked up latitudes in Sweden. No matter how far south you are, you cannot, at any time of year or day, get sufficient D from sun. In an environment of evolutionary adaptation, scandinavians essentially lived off fatty fish which supplied then with just about all the vitamin D they were able to obtain.

I'd bet everything if you replete your D quickly, you'll watch your health return, the muscle strength increase significantly (there is evidence of this from some old russian and german literature). 25 mcg per 10kg D3 per day is enough to maintain your 25(OH)D levels, but quadrupling that daily dose for a month will replete it quickly. While 100 mcg (4000 IU) sounds like an insane daily dose, it's fine.

In one study, patients were given 12,500 mcg D3 via injection (500,000 IU) one time. No adverse affects.

It'll be difficult, if not impossible to get high dose D anywhere in europe......you'll either just have to take 10 of 10 mcg capsules (they're tiny) daily or order higher dose caps from iherb.com They ship worldwide and very inexpensively:

http://www.iherb.com/info/shipping/International
    "-International Airmail (available to select countries): A Flat $4.00 or Free for Orders Over $60.00! This option applies to orders valued up to $80.00, and weighing 3 lbs or less. This shipment method has a 1 to 4 week delivery time.
    Please note: If you choose Airmail delivery, you will not be able to track your order. However, airmail deliveries are very reliable and are a favorite shipping method for our valued customers in Europe and Asia Pacific with an average delivery time of 10 days (including weekends). Also, chances are high that you will not pay any additional customs import taxes. "

While you'll likely still have important taxes, they're so cheap that it still makes it worth it. I have family in London and in Firenze......they order from iherb as it's much easier than buying there. Using international airmail, there are no delivery issues. I have no financial ties with iherb.com - just happen to like them better than any company I've otherwise used for supplements.

I like drops as it's easiest to vary the dosing based on a variety of factors (latitude, season, midday summer sun exposure etc)

My two faves are below. I like the top one best as it's much less expensive per 2,000 IU *drop*. It's just extra virgin olive oil and D3. The one below it is just fractionated coconut oil and D3.

Nature's Answer, Vitamin D-3 Drops, 15 ml
    $9.17 $17.95 (49% Off)

Carlson Labs, Ddrops, Vitamin D3, 2000 IU, 10 ml
    $16.58 $25.50 (35% Off)

Now Foods, L-OptiZinc, 30 mg, 100 Capsules

$5.08 $7.99 (36% Off)

I know you'll feel better. I've been through it with candida to an extreme debilitating level - I'll spare you the details

What's the calcium content of the Vega optimizer?

Best to you,
    K
    Last edited by cillakat; 05-08-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: adding the zinc

thank you

Hey, WOW... you really know what your taking about, printed the whole thing out this morning and read it threw.

So right now i should go to the healtsupplement store and get vitamin d and zinc, how much zinc should i consume in supplement and 100mcg i supplement for d3?

I´ven been on a candida cleanse for 3 months with a kinesiology, beeeen so tiirred all the time..
    i´know a have got b-vitamin diffency under that cleanse but cant eat it until i finished her cleanse.

looks promising especially" " muscle strenght increase" i my muscles feeels so week right now.. go injures after injures under this period..

To correct myself i eat since 3 days ago after my 2 training, Vega whole food on morning and the ultimate meal on evening..

Cant say thank you enough have suffered for three years until now, feel happy to find someone like you who know what your talking about!..

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To bring your deficient 25(OH)D up quickly, take 100 mcg (4000 IU) per 10kg for four weeks. After that, drop down to 125 mcg D3 daily. Ideally, after 3 months or so, you'd test your D levels and adjust up or down accordingly. Some may need more than 125 mcg (5000 IU) daily, some will need less.

I would also encourage you to immediately ditch the candida cleanse and instead work on optimizing what goes in -more meat, more sat fat, more zinc, more b vites. Your body cannot and should not continue to live in a state of B vitamin deficiency.....it just can't do that AND do what you're asking of it, athletically speaking, every day. It just can't. However, you will find that if you start giving it the D, zinc, B complex vites etc that it needs, it'll make the necessary adjustments and the candida issues will resolve.

Please read the following in it's entirety. It's from the brilliant, light-years-ahead-of-his-time John Cannell, founder of the Vitamin D Council. vitamindcouncil.org

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsl...2007-mar.shtml
    The Vitamin D Newsletter March 2007
    Peak Athletic Performance and Vitamin D
    "No thanks doc, I'm fine."

"No way doc." I had just finished informing my vitamin D deficient patient about the benefits of vitamin D, telling him he needed to take 5,000 IU per day. I used all the techniques I have learned in 30 years of medical practice to convince someone when proper treatment is needed. However, he knew that the U.S. government said young people need only 200 IU/day, not 5,000. He also knew the official upper limit was 2,000 IU/day. "What are you trying to do doc, kill me?"

I told him his 25-OH vitamin D blood test was low, only 13 ng/mL. He had read about that too, in a medical textbook, where it said normal levels are between 10–40 ng/mL. "I'm fine doc...Are you in the vitamin business?" I explained I was not; that the government and textbooks used outdated values; that recent studies indicate ideal 25OHD levels are about 50 ng/mL and that recent studies indicated that he needed about 5,000 IU/day to get his level up to this amount. "No thanks doc, I'm fine."

So I tried a different tact—I brought copies of recent press articles and asked him to take a look at them. Science News called vitamin D the "Antibiotic Vitamin." Janet Raloff. The Antibiotic Vitamin. Science News, Vol. 170, No. 20, p. 312, 2006.11.11. The Independent in England says vitamin D explains why people die from influenza in the winter, and not the summer. Jeremy Laurance. Bottled sunshine: The value of vitamin D. The Independent, 2006.09.13. U.S. News and World Report says almost everyone needs more. Deborah Kotz. The ABCs of D. U.S. News and World Report, 2006.12.10. Newsweek says it prevents cancer and helps fight infection. Meir J. Stampfer MD DrPH. Vitamin D in the Spotlight. 2006 Newsweek, Inc. United Press International says that it reduces falls in the elderly, Vitamin D may reduce falls in elderly. United Press International, 2007.02.22. reduces stress fractures, Calcium, vitamin D reduce stress fractures. United Press International, 2007.02.12. helps heal wounds, Vitamin D needed to heal skin wound. United Press International, 2007.02.09. and that many pregnant women are deficient in the vitamin. Vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy. United Press International, 2007.02.27.
    The Important Things

He glanced at the articles, showing a little interest in the one about stress fractures. Then he told me what he was really thinking. "Look doc, all this stuff may be important to old guys like you. I'm 22. All I care about are girls and sports. When I get older, maybe I'll think about it. I'm too young to worry about it. I'm in great condition." I couldn't argue. He was in good health and a very good basketball player, playing several hours every day, though always on indoor courts.

What could I do to open his eyes? As an African American, his risk of early death from cardiovascular disease or cancer was high, although the risk for blacks doesn't start to dramatically increase until their '40s and '50s. Like all young people, he saw himself as forever young. The U.S. government was no help, relying on a ten‑year‑old report from the Institute of Medicine that is full of outdated studies and misinformation.

I tried to tell him that the 200 IU per day the U.S. government recommends for 20-year-olds is to prevent bone disease, not to treat low vitamin D levels like his. I pointed out the U.S. government's official current Upper Limit of 2,000 IU/day is the same for a 300-pound adult as it is for a 25-pound toddler. That is, the government says that it's safe for a one-year-old, 25-pound child to take 2,000 IU/day but not safe for a 30-year old, 300 pound adult to take 2,000 IU/day and that whoever thought up these Upper Limits must have left their thinking caps at home—nothing worked. My vitamin D-deficient patient was not interested in taking any vitamin D.

So i thought, "what are young men interested in?" I remembered what he told me: "Sex and sports." Two years ago, I researched the medical literature looking for any evidence that vitamin D enhanced sexual performance. Absolutely nothing. That would have been nice. Can you imagine the interest?
    Improving Athletic Performance

Then I remembered that several readers had written to ask me if vitamin D could possibly improve their athletic performance. They told me that after taking 2,000–5,000 IU/day for several months they seemed somewhat faster, a little stronger, with maybe better balance and timing. A pianist had written to tell me she even played a better piano, her fingers moved over the keys more effortlessly! Was vitamin D responsible for these subtle changes or was it a placebo effect? That is, did readers just think their athletic performance improved because they knew vitamin D was a steroid hormone precursor?

The active form of vitamin D is a steroid (actually a secosteroid) in the same way that testosterone is a steroid. It is also a hormone (hormone: Greek, meaning "to set in motion") in the same way that growth hormone is a hormone. Steroid hormones are substances made from cholesterol that circulate in the body and work at distant sites by setting in motion genetic protein transcription. That is, both vitamin D and testosterone set in motion your genome, the stuff of life. While testosterone is a sex steroid hormone, vitamin D is a pleomorphic steroid hormone.

All of a sudden, it didn't seem so silly. Certainly steroids can improve athletic performance—although they can be quite dangerous. In addition, few people are deficient in growth hormone or testosterone, so athletes who take sex steroids or growth hormone are cheating, or doping. The case with vitamin D is quite different because natural vitamin D levels are about 50 ng/mL and since almost no one has such levels, extra vitamin D is not doping, it's just good treatment. I decided to exhaustively research the medical literature on vitamin D and athletic performance. It took me over a year.

To my surprise, I discovered that there are five totally independent bodies of research that all converge on an inescapable conclusion: vitamin D will improve athletic performance in vitamin D deficient people (and that includes most people). Even more interesting is who published the most direct literature, and when. Are you old enough to remember when the Germans and Russians won every Olympics in the '60s and '70s? Well, it turns out that the most convincing evidence that vitamin D improves athletic performance was published in old German and Russian medical literature.

continued below

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast