Thread: Do you gain muscle quicker/easier when on PB?? page

robss is offline Senior Member

Do you gain muscle quicker/easier when on PB??

Primal Fuel
    I've read a lot on here about how the PB diet helps build muscle mass. I was wondering, does one build muscle quicker/easier while eating primal than with CW? Or is there no noticeable difference?

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    I've put muscle on pretty quickly. But then again, I've been lifting for a long time. Anytime I take a break and lose mass, I put it back on pretty quickly.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Generally speaking, eating primally can put your body in an anabolic mode. Reducing net-carbs, eliminating grains (gluten), occasional periods of fasting, getting enough sleep, reducing stress ... all these actions (and I guess there are more which I simply can't remember right now) can help to facilitate a shift from katabolic to anabolic mode.
    Last edited by MikeEnRegalia; 05-11-2010 at 06:16 AM.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I gained a lot of muscle on zero carb (+ refeed day) during a period of two months. I think it actually helped more due to hormones.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Much quicker. Much more easily. Functional muscular strength too.

Will01 is offline Junior Member
    It’s normal that one can lose mass, when there is a gap from doing regular exercise. This not only reduces muscles it also increases fat deposition in the body which leads to diseases. In order to build muscles in short time it requires hard amount of workout depending upon the resistance build up with.

Dryden is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robss View Post
    I've read a lot on here about how the PB diet helps build muscle mass. I was wondering, does one build muscle quicker/easier while eating primal than with CW? Or is there no noticeable difference?
    For me the answer is yes. PB really stresses two important things: Management of Insulin (- Sugars, - Starches) and a reduction of Cortisol (+ Vitamin C, + Glutamine, - Stress, - Chronic Cardio, + Sleep). It is difficult to shed fat and build muscle when your body is flooded with either. PB really places Endocrinology 101 front-and-center for the layperson, where other approaches seem to view the body as a collection of independant systems, or ignore hormone management completely.

That's not to say I couldn't have done better on another plan, it's just that Mark was the first author that gave me all the tools to understand what I was doing, and how I can manipulate the results through what I eat.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    At first, it seems like you lose mass because you lose a lot of the water and bloat stored in your muscles... the net result is harder, denser but smaller looking muscles.

As you gain on the PB, the gains you get are also harder/denser which look way better imo.

@ rphlslv: What did a typical day look like in terms of food consumption whilst doing this?
    How about the refeed day?

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    At first, it seems like you lose mass because you lose a lot of the water and bloat stored in your muscles... the net result is harder, denser but smaller looking muscles.

As you gain on the PB, the gains you get are also harder/denser which look way better imo.
    agreed...