Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Using Up Stuff" Savory Muffins page

Paleobird Guest

"Using Up Stuff" Savory Muffins

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As some of you may know, I am moving house next week so i have a "no new groceries " policy in effect trying to use up stuff sitting around the pantry. Forced creativity turned up this gem today.

1cup coconut flour (that's exactly the amount I had left)
    2.25oz Nutritional yeast (half of one of those 4.5oz Braggs containers)
    6 eggs
    Splash of HWC
    1 cup coconut oil
    Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, turmeric
    Sundried tomato paste (about 4oz? It was leftover from another recipe)

Mix flour Nutr. Yeast and spices.
    Melt oil in micro then add
    Beat eggs and cream together then add
    Stir in tomato paste
    Bake at 350 for 20 minutes in muffin pans

The sundried tomato paste was what made it really click. I had made it myself with a jar of sundried tomatoes marinated in olive oil tossed in the blender. That half a jar of paste had been sitting in the fridge unloved.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Yum. I no doubt will never have the ssame mix of leftovers as this, but I will be sure to try the idea sometime. I love those results you get when creativity is your only option.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Looks good - but what is HWC please?!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Heavy whipping cream.

They do sound yummy.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'll be right over.

Will assist packing for food. heh
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    These sound fantastic! What does the nutritional yeast provide in the recipe? Is it necessary? I've been curious about trying it out, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Yum. I no doubt will never have the ssame mix of leftovers as this, but I will be sure to try the idea sometime. I love those results you get when creativity is your only option.
    Yes, I think the basic flour, eggs, oil and "Nooch" mix could be adapted to all kinds of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Oooh, seems like it'd taste like pizza, or something! yum. How many muffins did this recipe make? Looks like it'd make a lot!
    They do kind of taste like pizza now that you mention it. This made 24 mini muffins. It would probably make 12 full sized ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I'll be right over.
    Will assist packing for food. heh
    Sounds like a deal. I am up to my ears in boxes and bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Looks good - but what is HWC please?!
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Heavy whipping cream.
    They do sound yummy.
    The HWC may not have been necessary but I like the way it gets eggs smoother.
    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaV View Post
    These sound fantastic! What does the nutritional yeast provide in the recipe? Is it necessary? I've been curious about trying it out, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Well I bought the "nooch" just because there was a thread about it and I wanted to see what all the noise was about. It is the darling of vegans because it gives a cheesy taste to things without actually being cheese. It is also really high in a bunch of B vitamins. I was a bit underwhelmed with the taste just by itself (hence why it was still sitting in my pantry) but in this baked form it is pretty good. I might try the same muffin idea with some grated parmesan next time.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    This sounds tasty. Could probably make it in a tart or loaf pan and slice it like a pie. I loooove nutritional yeast but find it only tastes amazing with a generous sprinkle of salt; on its own it's a bit underwhelming.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    This sounds tasty. Could probably make it in a tart or loaf pan and slice it like a pie. I loooove nutritional yeast but find it only tastes amazing with a generous sprinkle of salt; on its own it's a bit underwhelming.
    I put some of my remaining nooch in a cream-of-leftover-stuff-in-the-fridge soup I made today and it is pretty tasty. That started with some of my home made bone broth (that does have a fair amount of salt in it) plus some onion, garlic, two kinds of mushrooms and some rather sad dispirited looking asparagus. Cooked all that in the bone broth then added a 16 oz container of labne kefir cheese and a bit of basil and cardamom.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I put some of my remaining nooch in a cream-of-leftover-stuff-in-the-fridge soup I made today and it is pretty tasty. That started with some of my home made bone broth (that does have a fair amount of salt in it) plus some onion, garlic, two kinds of mushrooms and some rather sad dispirited looking asparagus. Cooked all that in the bone broth then added a 16 oz container of labne kefir cheese and a bit of basil and cardamom.
    That sounds good too. I love making "mush" soup bowls of random leftovers; nooch is a nice added flavor and vit B enhancer. I find it makes tomato-based soups creamy, like a tangy vodka sauce.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast