Thread: Seasonal Appetite Changes page

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member

Seasonal Appetite Changes

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone else notice that their appetite changes seasonally? I noticed this even before going primal - but it is more pronounced now. I'm certain that there is a good evolutionary/scientific reason for this as well - what we need in the fall in the wild (more starch to build up our fat stores for winter) is also what's in season. In the summer we need more water and more calories for less work (since you don't want to be hunting over-long in the summer sun - hello heat exhaustion) is also in season - fresh fruit!

This last fall I found myself CRAVING squash. In the winter I craved heavier meats - like roast. Now that the weather is warming up those sound completely unappetizing - all I want is berries, citrus, fresh greens, shrimp and fish - maybe some baked chicken.

Anyone else experience this pronounced shift in their appetites as the seasons change? What are your favorite seasonal foods?
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Paleobird Guest
    I tend toward more red meat in the winter and more seafood in the summer. But I live in a place without a really pronounced shift in seasonal temperatures. I wonder how much is genetic vs. climate induced.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Roasted root vegetables and soups/stews in the fall. Salad in the spring. Etc.

And I also live in a place with relatively little climate change with seasons. (California)
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    In the winter I craved heavier meats - like roast. Now that the weather is warming up those sound completely unappetizing - all I want is berries, citrus, fresh greens, shrimp and fish - maybe some baked chicken.

Anyone else experience this pronounced shift in their appetites as the seasons change? What are your favorite seasonal foods?
    Absolutely. Everything you said re: berries, etc., holds true for me also. Also, I notice I want potatoes more in winter, though I wouldn't be averse to a cold potato salad once in awhile.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed the same thing here- my cravings seem to be either seasonal, or perhaps weather related. I've gone through three bags of oranges in the past week. Totally craving them.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't crave different foods. When the weather gets really hot, though, I tend to just not want to eat at all
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have always tended to eat a few items exclusively for a long time until I get tired of them, then switch to a few others. Kind of like how if you were a bird living out in the rain forest you would have one species of tree all of a sudden bursting with fruit so you'd eat all of that until it was gone. Then the next species of tree might be covered in nuts so you'd eat all that until the next species of tree was full of blossoms so you'd eat those until they were gone....Then back to the beginning.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I have been going citrus crazy with all of the oranges and grapefruit lately.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    For me I definitely eat a lot more soup in the winter and I tend to eat more. By the time summer rolls in I always eat less or I'm just not hungry at all.