Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Plant-Based Diet Leader suffers pelvic fractures page 3

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by grokgramma View Post
    Of course the man is 80 years old and perhaps shouldn't have been biking anyway
    First- damn. What a comment to make. Biking is low impact- why on earth should an 80 year old not be biking? It's fantastic exercise.

Second- one thing a vegan diet is fantastic at is building bones. Dairy is actually not a great bone builder- leafy green vegetables are. So in this instance, I don't think the diet is to blame.

The original post simply doesn't provide enough information (impact velocity, what he landed on, meds he was on that may have deleterious effect on bone density such as PPI's, etc) to make the leap that a plant based diet contributed in any fashion.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    Primal bike riders typically don't break their pelvises until they are at least 85.
    This one makes reading through this whole silly thread worthwhile.

grokgramma is offline Member
    Last edited by grokgramma; 04-12-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Sorry for the silly thread folks. I had the notion this was a primal/paleo forum, but apparently I was mistaken. I have seen more support for a vegan diet than a primal one in the replies. Odd.
    Oh, c'mon. Don't pout. It was silly not because any of us believe a plant based diet is healthy but because an 80 year old man falling off a bicycle and breaking something is not that surprising regardless of what he did or didn't eat. Any person falling off a bicycle and breaking something would not be surprising. Happens all the time.

I firmly believe that Primal eating cured me of my osteopenia and I still think this thread is silly.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Sorry for the silly thread folks. I had the notion this was a primal/paleo forum, but apparently I was mistaken. I have seen more support for a vegan diet than a primal one in the replies. Odd.
    I think you misunderstood the comment to you about your diet. His reply was that a vegan diet is probably better than "the normal American diet". He wasn't saying being vegan was better than being Primal. You are not mistaken - this is a paleo/primal forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    You are most likely better off that you were vegan rather than on the normal American diet.

Calcium along with weight bearing exercise builds bones. Calcium is consumed from dairy, bone broth, marrow, canned fish such as salmon and sardines, nuts and leafy greens as well as foods fortified with calcium. You have to eat considerably less animal products to get enough calcium than you do leafy greens. So those people who said that a vegan diet was sufficient or that it didn't make any difference about diet are wrong. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was on a vegan forum. The reason I wrote what I did is not simply because Dr. Esselstyn who had the bike accident eats a vegan diet, but because he says that a vegan diet can prevent osteoporosis and other bone problems and he condemns eating meat, oil and even nuts. While I understand quite well that anyone can fall off a bike and break bones, I was nevertheless surprised that he had such serious injuries that required operations and a very long convalescence. His injuries were so serious that his family didn't tell anyone outside his inner circle about them for over a month. However they had to eventually let the cat out of the bag because he had to cancel speaking engagements later in the year. I wish the man no ill will, but he isn't just any 80 year old. He speaks out against the paleo and primal way of eating. I know because I've heard him speak myself.
    Last edited by grokgramma; 04-12-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    So, an elderly gentleman fell and was seriously injured.
    Was it because he was elderly? Not necessarily.
    Was it because he was vegan? Not necessarily.
    Did he even have osteoporosis. We don't know.
    Maybe he did lots of weight bearing exercise and ate lots of leafy greens and nuts and had fine strong bones and just took a really bad fall. We. Don't. Know.

You don't need to convince me that Primal is the best diet and that the vegan diet is not healthy.

This thread reminds me of the time Steve Jobs died and everyone piled on him in a thread basically saying it was his own damn fault for having been fruitarian at one point in his life.

What I mean is saying that a w.o.e. is unhealthy is different from going after an individual human being who is hurt and in pain.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 04-12-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    So, an elderly gentleman fell and was seriously injured.
    Was it because he was elderly? Not necessarily.
    Was it because he was vegan? Not necessarily.
    Did he even have osteoporosis. We don't know.
    Maybe he did lots of weight bearing exercise and ate lots of leafy greens and nuts and had fine strong bones and just took a really bad fall. We. Don't. Know.

You don't need to convince me that Primal is the best diet and that the vegan diet is not healthy.

This thread reminds me of the time Steve Jobs died and everyone piled on him in a thread basically saying it was his own damn fault for having been fruitarian at one point in his life.

What I mean is saying that a w.o.e. is unhealthy is different from going after an individual human being who is hurt and in pain.
    My post was not only an explanation of the accident, but a question about biking accidents. The only reason I mentioned a) his age and b) his diet is because I wondered if a vegan diet made his more susceptible to bone fractures, even in an accident. I got my question answered, but I also got a lot extra stuff from others that didn't have much to do with my question.

p.s. And I wasn't going after anyone. I was asking a question as I explained, because I wanted to know if bones break easier if a person is eating a vegan diet. I was curious as to whether that type of diet would cause low bone density. That is why I asked if it was typical to have 4 fractures from falling off a bike.
    Last edited by grokgramma; 04-12-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, eat bacon for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and you can fall of your bike as much as you like at the age of 80, without breaking anything...

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    D3 and Magnesium deficiency are rampant among many North Americans regardless of diet and could possibly be a contributing factor.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast