Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plant-Based Diet Leader suffers pelvic fractures page 2

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    welcome!
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Bikers not engaged in racing suffer serious injuries every day. Google 'bike pelvic fracture' and I'm sure you'll see many instances of non-competitive bikers of all ages getting injured. It's a pretty common (albeit serious) biking injury. Are you a cyclist, grokgramma? Are you afraid this might happen to you?

"I was biking rapidly down hill, hit a rock, crashed and fractured my pelvis in 4 places" - that's from the doctor's facebook. He was going fast and probably flew off of his bike. He's 80. I think he fared pretty well and wish him the best. I too hope to be biking down hills at 80!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I can't remember if it was Eddie Murphy or someone else that said something like: after age 80, pretty much anything you die of is old age. Even if you get hit by a bus, you probably could have jumped out of the way if you had been 25, so the cause is still old age.

I know the cyclist in question didn't die, but I guess that's how I feel. At 80, and not knowing the extent of the crash, it's tough to say if animal based would have helped. What I do know just from living is that even something as simple as a sprained ankle takes much longer to heal in my 50s than it did in my 20s and 30s.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

grokgramma is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Bikers not engaged in racing suffer serious injuries every day. Google 'bike pelvic fracture' and I'm sure you'll see many instances of non-competitive bikers of all ages getting injured. It's a pretty common (albeit serious) biking injury. Are you a cyclist, grokgramma? Are you afraid this might happen to you?

"I was biking rapidly down hill, hit a rock, crashed and fractured my pelvis in 4 places" - that's from the doctor's facebook. He was going fast and probably flew off of his bike. He's 80. I think he fared pretty well and wish him the best. I too hope to be biking down hills at 80!
    Thanks for your answer. Some of the other replies were pretty snarky. I am not a cyclist, but I am a former vegan and as you can see by my name I am not a kid anymore. As a former vegan I was wondering if I had damaged my health by eating a totally plant-based diet.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grokgramma View Post
    Thanks for your answer. Some of the other replies were pretty snarky. I am not a cyclist, but I am a former vegan and as you can see by my name I am not a kid anymore. As a former vegan I was wondering if I had damaged my health by eating a totally plant-based diet.
    Even if the biker was 25 years old, it would mean nothing. Bike crashes can be brutal, even when just recreational. And even if he broke his pelvis in a minor bike accident, it would mean little since he's just one person. Freak things happen all the times when the sample is 1 person.

If you got enough B12, you are probably fine. Plenty of Vegans live long, healthy lives. You are most likely better off that you were vegan rather than on the normal American diet.

grokgramma is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    even if the biker was 25 years old, it would mean nothing. Bike crashes can be brutal, even when just recreational. And even if he broke his pelvis in a minor bike accident, it would mean little since he's just one person. Freak things happen all the times when the sample is 1 person.

If you got enough b12, you are probably fine. plenty of vegans live long, healthy lives. You are most likely better off that you were vegan rather than on the normal american diet.
    ok.
    Last edited by grokgramma; 04-13-2013 at 05:03 AM.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Primal bike riders typically don't break their pelvises until they are at least 85.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    There's more to encouraging bone density than just getting plenty of calcium. You also need to do weight-bearing exercise. There may be other nutrients as well.

My dad is 75, eats a pretty healthy version of SAD, chowing down on fatty meats whenever my fat-phobic mother is not cooking, is quite active for his age and has been very slender his whole life. His bone density is not great. He worries about falling on his bike. Once you get to that age, maintaining bone density might be a full time job.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    A friend of mine broke her leg in three places from falling off a bike. She was biking at a low speed, just for fun, on a neighborhood street.

She was 12 years old.

Age and diet has nothing to do with it...the human body did not evolve around concrete and bicycles. Maybe he didn't get enough calcium in his diet, but that doesn't change the fact that human bones can break when falling a few feet onto concrete. Heh, my brother fell off a table in the 5th grade, and fractured his arm.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've read more than once that hip fractures can happen to a person with osteoporosis simply as a part of a misstep that their bones couldn't handle. They didn't fall and break their pelvises, they broke their pelvises and fell.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast