Thread: tips for nutrition on long cycle ride page

RichyF is offline Junior Member

tips for nutrition on long cycle ride

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I will be taking the road bike out for the first time this year over the weekend.. finally the spring is here

I have been Primal since Monday and am in a bit of a dilemma as to what I can eat before and during the bike ride.

I will be cycling around 100km. Normally I would take cereal bars and bananas with me for a trip like this. I am thinking to take just a few bananas with me this time for extra carbs.

Any other ideas for stuff I can eat during the ride thats easy to carry and will give me the energy I require?

Kool is offline Senior Member
    If you can handle it, raw sweet potatoes cut in fries are pretty convenient

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I use jerky, dried cherries and macadamia nuts. I am going to experiment this season with making my own version of "Larabars" I can't tolerate sweet potatoes on the bike myself, but it is a good choice if you can.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Hi RichyF,

This post about Backpacking Nutrition may provide some helpful insights.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

RichyF is offline Junior Member
    i did the 100km ride today, with some intense climbs in the swiss mountains... about half way through I had a major drop in energy and bananas were not doing the trick. I had to stop by a shop and grab a sandwich and some jelly sweets.

I feel like i've let down the Primal way but I had no option... considering the amount of calories burnt today I don't think it will have any effect on my body composition but also hope it hasn't messed up the transformation my body is making to primal

fuzzynavel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichyF View Post
    i did the 100km ride today, with some intense climbs in the swiss mountains... about half way through I had a major drop in energy and bananas were not doing the trick. I had to stop by a shop and grab a sandwich and some jelly sweets.

I feel like i've let down the Primal way but I had no option... considering the amount of calories burnt today I don't think it will have any effect on my body composition but also hope it hasn't messed up the transformation my body is making to primal
    Don't be disheartened, you have not had anywhere near long enough to become fat adapted....
    Last year I did 100 miles and made my own snacks for the journey.....they were a mix of nuts, bananas, apple and various other things all blended up (whatever was in the cupboard really)and then rolled into balls and individually wrapped in cling film to fit in my jersey pocket.....tasted great but they were a bit dry....

Here's something similar to what I made

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...#axzz2RNPOiy3V
    Last edited by fuzzynavel; 04-24-2013 at 04:41 AM.