Thread: Greetings from East TN! page

chad clark is offline Junior Member

Greetings from East TN!

Hello everyone, my name is Chad Clark. Been lurking like a lurker since last August, and finally went primal about 2 months ago. While I (and my wife and child) can't exactly afford to eat only grass-fed meat, I have cut out all grains from my diet, and the majority of my daily calories come from fat and I'm loving it! My wife (we are both Registered Nurses, actually met in Nursing School) is afraid I'm gonna have a heart attack from all the fats, y' know good old conventional wisdom. The last blood work I had done about 3 years ago showed everything in range, even while eating SAD. However, I had another round of lab work drawn last week and am anxiously waiting for the results, as I've told my wife if anything is horribly, horribly off I'll re-evaluate my diet. But with tightening up my O3:O6 ratio to around 1:3 most days, cutting out grains and sugars, and making sure to get at least 7 hours sleep a night, I'm postive I'll be able to show my blood work like a kid showing off an all-A report card.

As far as hobbies go, I'm big into martial arts, mostly MMA and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. The sucess story that has been featured about Abe Wagner is really inspiring to me, and while I'm not quite Abe's size (31, 64 and 250 lbs vs me at 26, 5'9", and currently 168, wanting to get down to 158~160), it is great to know a Primal Beast can walk into a cage and more than hold his own. Other than martial arts though, I enjoy snowboarding, swimming, surfing when we vacation in Los Angeles, and just generally being active. I'd like to try rock-climbing once my family is debt free (Dave Ramsey, debt snowball, all that jazz. Should be debt free by next summer, if not sooner thanks to over-time and raises.) I've also just finished my first ever marathon, even wearing my Fila Skeletoes, albeit not 100% primal as far as nutrition during race as I had to reach for the sugary gels offered on course during the event. However I did pass up the post race pizza and bagel and chowed down on some avocado and dark chocolate we picked up from Trader Joe's on the way home. Next race I'm definately taking Mark's advice about longer and slower runs to build up aerobic capacity as high as I can get it.

I am doing my best to convince my wife to go Primal as well, but have met quite a bit of resistance, so any advice with that will be greatly appreciated. Primal Fitness would fit her perfectly, as she honestly doesn't have anytime to work out with her job. And while she does enjoy some fat in her diet, she is having a hard time wrapping her head around giving up grains. I'm hoping with my blood work coming back fine, and seeing how quickly and safely I am losing weight (189 at start of primal Feb 2013), that she will give it an honest try.

Glad to finally be apart of the Primal Community! Just wish I'd have started sooner!

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    interesting!

be glad to hear more when yo get the results

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    hi from west tn
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome!

You've got some community in your area. I'm moving to Knoxville in a couple months, and know a handful of Primal peeps there already.