Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent snack bars page

Nstocks is offline Senior Member

Decent snack bars

Hello,

I'm looking for snack bars which are mostly fat than sugar and contain no wierd ingredients. The only one I've found which has good amounts of good fat (coconut) is this one:

Coconut Secret Mint Coconut Bar 50g, Organic Food UK

It tastes great but it's 2.50 a piece!

I know that Larabars/NAKD bars are "paleo" but I find the nut content hard to digest and the dates are too much of a laxative for me.

I really don't like baking or making raw snacks either which I know woud otherwise work.

Any suggestions (UK)?

Thank you!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    hard boil some eggs

I also don't do well with eggs . I'm looking for more of a sweet snack than savoury. (trying to replace some poor recent habits)

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nstocks View Post
    (trying to replace some poor recent habits)
    With some slightly less poor, but more recent ones? Beef jerky.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Pemmican.

Kind of. I live in a very unhealthy sugar-laden household... we all know what that means!

I really don't like beef jerky but thanks for the suggestion.

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    there are also lots of recipes online for making your own bars. Check the primal/paleo recipe sites or just Google "paleo protein bar" or "paleo fat bar" (something like that)

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I know you said that you don't like to bake but these are easy-peasy to make and they aren't baked. They are low-carb, high protein & high fat. I think they are more like fudge but my kids eat them for breakfast. Cut into 8 bars and they're approx. 300 cal. each.

Chewy Chocolate Fudge Peanut Butter Protein Bars by Candice

1 2/3 cup(about 160g) chocolate protein powder
    1/4 cup peanut flour (I subbed almond flour cuz that's what I had)
    2 Tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
    1/4 cup(2oz) unsalted butter (I used salted and still added 1/2 tsp of salt)
    1/2 cup natural peanut butter
    1/4 cup half & half
    1/4 cup water
    Sweetener to taste (liquid stevia worked best for me)
    Topping:
    1/4 cup natural peanut butter(no sugar, no salt)
    1 Tablespoon butter
    2 Tablespoons half & half
    2 Tablespoons stevia
    Line bottom of an 88 square baking pan with parchment. Set aside. In medium sized bowl mix protein powder, peanut flour, and cocoa powder. Set aside. In small glass bowl add butter and peanut butter. Heat in microwave until melted about 45 seconds. Stir until combined. Stir in half & half and water. Mix wet mixture into your dry ingredients. Stir until smooth. Batter WILL be VERY sticky. Pour into your prepared pan. Smooth evenly in pan with an offset spatula. In a small bowl, mix cream and stevia. Set aside. In small glass bowl heat peanut butter and butter in microwave until melted. Stir in cream/stevia mixture to your peanut butter/butter. Mix until smooth. Pour on top of protein bars and smooth evenly. Place pan in freezer for at least 1 hour to set.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    I haven't tried this as I have been more into intermittant fasting than snacking lately, but here's an idea. Melt a bunch of coconut oil, mix in your choice of other ingredients (dark chocolate, stevia, nuts, etc.) and let it cool in the fridge or freezer. It will melt above about 70something degrees though, but if you don't add too much crap it would be mostly healthy fat. That or just eat spoonfulls of coconut oil.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Came in to recommend those coconut bars. Sooooo good. I've also found that Larabars don't go over too well with my stomach. Being on the road so often, snack bars can be extremely convenient. Here are some other decent ones I've tried:

Vega Protein bars
    Garden of Life Fucoprotein bars
    Amazing Grass Green Superfood bars
    Pure bars
    Quest Bars (get the all natural variety)

Try to make it a habit to eat real food as often as possible, though. Snack bars can be great in lieu of other options, but they are nowhere near as satisfying as a full meal. If you're like me, it would take two of these plus a juice or smoothie and another snack to feel satisfied, and even that would only last for an hour or so. It's an expensive habit that can add up quick.
    Last edited by tarek; 04-12-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast