Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bodyweight vs Barbells + home workout questions page

Lockstock is offline Senior Member

Bodyweight vs Barbells + home workout questions

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so I'm 18 and in decent shape (I bet you've heard this all before)

Anyhows, Stonglifts sounds interesting and it's something id do but right now between being jobless, and heading to uni soon a Gym isn't as easy. Especially because the one I can go to is more of a treadmill party.

So, BODYWEIGHT!
    My question is, in terms of bodyweight stuff, what are the benefits compared to barbells, obviously, barbells make you stronger and bigger but is there decent crossover with bodyweight to barbell, especially once you get a bit more advanced?
    Any help would be much appreciated fellas.

Right now, Im doing squats, pushups, pull-ups, bodyweight rows and shoulder press pushups, progressing to hopefully a handstand.

My shoulders are a bit crap atm, mostly due to to much pushing and not enough pulling which im correcting with scapula stuff and bodyweight rows and pullups.

With the shoulder press pushup, during the whole movement am I supposed to squeeze my shoulder blades together or actively engage my shoulders in anyway?

And is a bodyweight row effective for working the back/rear delts in opposition to the muscles worked in a pushup?

Cheers fellas!

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    It's my personal belief that a young guy should get good at body weight workouts before going on to barbells. I believe that it will help protect your joints from injury. The books, You are your own gym, and Convict Conditioning are excellent resources for the answers to your questions. Alkavadlo.com, and rosstraining.com, also excellent resources. For barbell stuff, anything from Rippetoe or Louie Simmons is a good place to start.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Bodyweight workouts do a better job, if done correctly, of completely engaging every muscle of your body - most importantly your core.

Bodyweight workouts are also very flexible, and can provide a ton of variety in workout routines.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

goneprimal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul119 View Post
    Bodyweight workouts do a better job, if done correctly, of completely engaging every muscle of your body - most importantly your core.
    Yep, bodyweight workouts can engage your core all right.

At a small fraction of the intensity of heavy deadlifts and squats.

In an emergency, who would you rather have as a sidekick - someone who can do 300 bodyweight airsquats or someone who can squat 5 reps with 2x their bodyweight on their shoulders?

Great things can be achieved without weights, but working with weights (Olympic- & Power-lifts) is usually a more effective use of your time, if you want to become stronger.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul119 View Post

Bodyweight workouts are also very flexible, and can provide a ton of variety in workout routines.
    If you think heavy deadlifts or squats don't work your core, along with every other muscle in your body, you're doing it very wrong.

quikky is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
    It's my personal belief that a young guy should get good at body weight workouts before going on to barbells. I believe that it will help protect your joints from injury. The books, You are your own gym, and Convict Conditioning are excellent resources for the answers to your questions. Alkavadlo.com, and rosstraining.com, also excellent resources. For barbell stuff, anything from Rippetoe or Louie Simmons is a good place to start.
    I really don't understand this fear of barbells and "preparation" for working with them. If you are 70 years old and are just starting weight lifting, then yes, start with bodyweight to ensure you have the basic level of strength and flexibility to work with barbells. However, the OP an 18 year old healthy male, why does he need to get good at bodyweight before doing workouts with barbells? How will squatting his bodyweight repeatedly, which I am sure he can already do with ease, being 18 and in good shape, "protect his joints from injury"?

OP: Learn proper form, get under the damn bar and get strong.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goneprimal View Post

In an emergency, who would you rather have as a sidekick - someone who can do 300 bodyweight airsquats or someone who can squat 5 reps with 2x their bodyweight on their shoulders.
    Well' that kind of depends on the situation. 300 air squats is not trivial. If the situation demanded endurance in a sidekick, I might opt for the bodyweight person.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=quikky;1159505]I really don't understand this fear of barbells and "preparation" for working with them. If you are 70 years old and are just starting weight lifting, then yes, start with bodyweight to ensure you have the basic level of strength and flexibility to work with barbells. However, the OP an 18 year old healthy male, why does he need to get good at bodyweight before doing workouts with barbells? How will squatting his bodyweight repeatedly, which I am sure he can already do with ease, being 18 and in good shape, "protect his joints from injury"?

I never meant to imply he would hurt himself. He stated that getting to a gym would be difficult and was asking about body weight exercises. I have met to many people even healthy 18 y/o boys who aren't ready to get under a bar. Yes I do barbell training myself, but I also have easy access to good equipment. I also do lots of body weight exercises and feel they are better all around exercises for most people. If you don't fit into the most people category, then my recommendation doesn't count.
    I still believe that whether you can get to a gym or not, an exercise program is incomplete at best if you aren't doing the basic body weight exercises. It will protect you in the long run, and when he can get to a gym with barbells he will be ahead of the game.

quikky is online now Senior Member
    I also do lots of body weight exercises and feel they are better all around exercises for most people.
    I still believe that whether you can get to a gym or not, an exercise program is incomplete at best if you aren't doing the basic body weight exercises. It will protect you in the long run, and when he can get to a gym with barbells he will be ahead of the game.
    Why? I'd like to know the physiology behind your claims.

goneprimal is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    an exercise program is incomplete at best if you aren't doing the basic body weight exercises. It will protect you in the long run, and when he can get to a gym with barbells he will be ahead of the game.
    Actually, he'll be way behind the game if the game has been squatting and deadlifting with good form.

But hey, why not go for a nice long jog and do 100 crunches. That's what seems to work for "most people".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast