Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bread? page

Dylboz is offline Junior Member

Question Bread?

Primal Fuel
    Is there any bread that I could eat, say, once I have achieved my weight loss goals and am in a maintenance phase? I have heard that sourdough is the best option, because it is fermented, and that converts many of the worst sugars and starches into lower glycemic load stuff, but this may be negligible. Can decent breads be made from alternative flours. like coconut or almond? Are there any grains, like amaranth, buckwheat, or others, which are far less domesticated and truer to their natural biology that might be healthier to eat? I ask, because my wife is totally onboard, except for toast. Man, she loves her morning toast. I figure, if you're gonna eat that stuff, the morning is the best time, since you have all day to burn through that sugar rush, being active and not letting it turn to fat (like when you have pizza and beer for dinner). This morning, she told me I put too much butter on her toast, and I told her she'd be better off eating a tablespoon of butter and leaving out the toast. She didn't like that at all. Is there a way I can promise her a slice of morning toast, someday in the future, or am I, well, toast?

Thanks!

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Actually, due to the second meal effect, morning is the worst time to consume carbs! The best time is in a 2 hour window after exercise (which could be in the morning).

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Cereal grains do a lot more damage to the body than merely giving you an insulin boost: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-g...are-unhealthy/

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    I'm impressed your SO is onboard as is - so I wouldn't stress too much about a slice or two of bread in the morning. The fastest way to get her to drop her support of PB is to become a drill sergeant about what she can or cannot eat.

I would pick your fights a little better .

Dylboz is offline Junior Member
    Well, what about bread made from potato flour? Or coconut flour even?

Classic is offline Senior Member
    After being on PB since February I finally made some coconut bread last weekend. It is very eggy and did satisfy that craving for me. My favorite food has always been bread but I haven't really been craving it too much these last few months. I am pleasantly surprised. The coconut bread would be good to use as base for strawberry shortcake this summer. Since I only indulged in one slice, I cut up the rest and put it in the freezer. Occasionally one has to splurge so it might as well be a fairly healthy splurge day. Every six months can't hurt. That is better than the 80% - 20% rule.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboz View Post
    Is there any bread that I could eat, say, once I have achieved my weight loss goals and am in a maintenance phase?
    No

mstrudle is offline Member
    What nonsense; I worry much more about industrial seed oils, excess sugars, lack of sunlight and lack of exercise than a few slices of properly made bread. I eat dark rye bread, like my ancestors in Russia. Delicious with a bit of lard, butter, or olive oil.

This is a lifestyle, not a rigid diet where you cant enjoy yourself. Everyone has a different idea of compromise; for some that is dairy, others fruit, and for me it is bread. Lighten up and eat some toast.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Bread is a bad idea generally. Grains are really, really not good for you.

Show her the research that shows that grains cause all kinds of medical problems. I miss toast, too, but I sure don't miss the arthritis, migraines, and IBS that went with it.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    People relax, he's just looking for an alternative to bread, yet nobody's answering his question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast