Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barefoot Squats and Deadlifts? page

Ally415 is offline Senior Member

Barefoot Squats and Deadlifts?

what is your opinion on this?
    I've been doing these work outs barefoot or with vibrams on and have had no problems so far. I feel I engage my thighs/legs better.

The other day this guy mentioned that he began to use work out shoes because the weights on deadlifts where getting very heavy and thought his feet needed arch support to resist the heavy weights being pushed onto his feet. I thought that was interesting...

Please share your experiences
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    What are "work out shoes?" Do you mean weightlifting shoes? Or some kind of ridiculous fluffy-gel-soled "cross-trainer" B.S.?

What does he think will happen to his feet if he deadlifts without arch support? That they'll actually develop musculature that's appropriate for weight-bearing exercise?

I deadlift in Chuck Taylors and squat either barefoot or Vibram-clad. Not sure if you'd consider the weight I lift heavy, but it certainly feels heavy to me.

barefoot or vibrams for me. about 15 years ago when i saw all of those old videos of arnold and all of those giants muscleheads squatting and deadlifting barefoot, i decided that if it was good enough for the biggest and strongest guys in the world, it was good enough for me. you could also get away with some chuck taylors or a barefoot style shoe like a merrel trail glove if you wanted to

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What are "work out shoes?" Do you mean weightlifting shoes? Or some kind of ridiculous fluffy-gel-soled "cross-trainer" B.S.?

What does he think will happen to his feet if he deadlifts without arch support? That they'll actually develop musculature that's appropriate for weight-bearing exercise?

I deadlift in Chuck Taylors and squat either barefoot or Vibram-clad. Not sure if you'd consider the weight I lift heavy, but it certainly feels heavy to me.
    Hey Rich why different shoes for squats vs. deadlifts?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Since I lift in the morning about 15 minutes after I get up, and I'm still in my PJs, I lift barefoot. I prefer barefoot over even barefoot shoes, because I need the feedback of how far my heels vs my toes are sinking into the carpet (keeps me from tilting back or forward.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    I used to do them barefoot, but now I wear Vibrams. I lift in my basement, and there are tiny metal shavings, wood splinters, etc. that are scattered about and completely invisible. I got tired of getting splinters in my feet, so I wear the VFFs for protection.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    Hey Rich why different shoes for squats vs. deadlifts?
    Just don't want to cheat myself out of 1/2" of ROM for the deadlift.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I use weightlifting shoes for squat, but deadlift in socks alone.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

boomingno is online now Member
    Vibrams for squats and deadlifts here. Lifting barefoot feels weird somehow.

Arch support for deadlifts.... what? lol. "Arch support" is one of those things that just seems completely insane after being primal for a while. Is that guy not also concerned about his hamstrings and glutes?

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Just don't want to cheat myself out of 1/2" of ROM for the deadlift.
    Ah got it. I have just recently started lifting with a barbell, and I followed the general advice to use the full-size light weights until 45s are needed. I wonder if that's even necessary, since I am so short...the bar is practically at my knees. So I think maybe it makes sense to scale the height. BUT on the other hand, assuming I want to someday lift with 45s, it makes sense to practice from that height. (I squatted 50kg my last workout ... I haven't set an honest baseline yet for deadlifts).

^This was a question I've been wanting to ask, so excuse me for rambling into it here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast