Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barefoot Squats and Deadlifts? page 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    Ah got it. I have just recently started lifting with a barbell, and I followed the general advice to use the full-size light weights until 45s are needed. I wonder if that's even necessary, since I am so short...the bar is practically at my knees. So I think maybe it makes sense to scale the height. BUT on the other hand, assuming I want to someday lift with 45s, it makes sense to practice from that height. (I squatted 50kg my last workout ... I haven't set an honest baseline yet for deadlifts).

^This was a question I've been wanting to ask, so excuse me for rambling into it here.
    If you never plan to compete in a Powerlifting meet, then you don't "need" to be used to deadlifting from the standard height.

There was a point when I did all my deadlifts with the little 25 lb plates for the extra ROM. This would basically emulate what's called a "deficit deadlift"

What is important is consistency. Both for form and because you need a way to gauge (and drive) your progress. So if you'll be using 45's to deadlift eventually (which you will, don't worry), I'd just stick to pulling from that height for now. You can always specifically add some longer ROM work later on (like deficit SLDL's or whatever else sounds fun) when you're a more advanced lifter.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    If you never plan to compete in a Powerlifting meet, then you don't "need" to be used to deadlifting from the standard height.

There was a point when I did all my deadlifts with the little 25 lb plates for the extra ROM. This would basically emulate what's called a "deficit deadlift"

What is important is consistency. Both for form and because you need a way to gauge (and drive) your progress. So if you'll be using 45's to deadlift eventually (which you will, don't worry), I'd just stick to pulling from that height for now. You can always specifically add some longer ROM work later on (like deficit SLDL's or whatever else sounds fun) when you're a more advanced lifter.
    Thanks, that sounds reasonable. It's almost like there's more than one day to do this stuff

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    My squatting form really started to improve when I took off the shoes. Obviously this could be a function of the shoe, but squatting barefoot allows me to push with the heel. When I wear shoes, I want to push with the balls of my feet. I believe this has something to do with the construction of the sole of the shoe, but who knows.

Without trying to state the obvious, a couple of pointers:

1) Make sure your socks have some traction. I have been with a guy when his feet started slipping when he went heavy.
    2) Be aware of people around you and even yourself when changing weights. Idiots drop plates all the time and rack them improperly. Even a 2.5 dropped from 6 feet could put you out of commission.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    2) Be aware of people around you and even yourself when changing weights. Idiots drop plates all the time and rack them improperly. Even a 2.5 dropped from 6 feet could put you out of commission.
    are you suggesting that sneakers provide some sort of magical protection from dropped weights?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    are you suggesting that sneakers provide some sort of magical protection from dropped weights?
    are you suggesting a shoe would not provide more protection against a 2.5 pound weight than a sock? I didn't say 45 pound weight did I?

Kata is offline Senior Member
    I do all my lifts in Merrel trail gloves, and my workout partner just discovered that barefoot>tennis shoes for squats. His form improved immensely when he took off the shoes. I think the lift in the heel was causing him to tilt forward, so his weight was on the balls of the feet rather than the heels.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    are you suggesting a shoe would not provide more protection against a 2.5 pound weight than a sock? I didn't say 45 pound weight did I?
    Yes. Unless you are wearing steel toed boots, dropped weight equals hurt foot. How much protection does 1mm of nylon provide?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have New Balance minimus that I wear most of the time. They seem pretty good. No heel rise, well, I think it was 3mm when the shoes were new but I doubt there's much heel rise anymore. They feel pretty thin now. I sometimes wear vibrams but I don't like how hot my feet get in them. I don't feel a need for special weight lifting shoes. I can't lift that much weight anyway. Maybe if I was lifting impressive weights things would be different. My understanding of weight lifting shoes is there is support on the sides for pushing the side of the shoe somehow and also the soles have a wooden plank for added stability. I can't see ever needing such a thing. What I really need are stronger hamstrings and glutes.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Once you try squatting, pressing, and Olympic lifting in weightlifting shoes, you will never wear anything else. There's just something real nice about the feeling like your feet are stuck in concrete.

Deadlifts are a bit trickier, depending on your proportions, you might like bare feet better.

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    interesting guys, thanks for the insights.

I've read a lot about the New Balance...I'm getting convinced to buy those.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast